JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, a magnet wont tell you everything, but lead is nowhere near the same color as silver or gold, edge cuts can show a plated example. And to turn tungsten into coinage would require a crucible at over 6,000 F. Possible yes, but a rare outlier. But counterfeiters will try these and other metals for sure.

In a large transaction a cheat could try to sneak in some lead coins but if you inspect them all with a knife, you could easily tell the bogus ones from the real. Tungsten is very dense, 80% heavier than silver so that with 2 coins. 1 silver and 1 plated/painted tungsten, of identical size, the tungsten coin would be distinctly heavier.
Cheaters gonna cheat but with minimal diligence, they can be caught.

It would be a good idea to have a stack of $20 stashed.for cash on hand. Braking a $100 might be difficult when cash is not flowing, & might make you a target for the junkie in line behind you.

I don't think PMs would be worth much for very much longer (if at all) than "worthless" paper currency, except maybe much later after civilization/normalcy/etc. has returned to replace SHTF, and at that point it would be anybody's guess as to what that worth would be. In short, if SHTF, which PMs would have any practical use in a SHTF situation? Today's worth for most PMs is their use in industry (especially high tech and some other industries like vehicles and industrial metallurgy that would not be operating during). If SHTF that is of the level where gov backed currency is worthless, it is unlikely that industry would be operating at a level where PMs would be intrinsically useful.

In a TEOWTAWKI SHTF scenario, the true PMs would be lead, tin, zinc, steel, iron and other industrial metals that are intrinsically valuable.

Finished goods - like guns and ammo - will have even more value IMO.
91a9b140aa1301396359005056a9545d.gif

Cheaters get better after they are caught. The more value there is, the better they get because of the profit.
Perhaps, but they won't try it again on me, because I will never deal with them again.
And I and I'm willing to bet others will also spread the word about cheaters when they are exposed.
Trust will have to be a major factor in trade in a post SHTF America and those who violate trust will be dealt with.

Perhaps, but they won't try it again on me, because I will never deal with them again.
And I and I'm willing to bet others will also spread the word about cheaters when they are exposed.
Trust will have to be a major factor in trade in a post SHTF America and those who violate trust will be dealt with.
That may be true, if you ever see them again. Are you only going to deal with someone who you know, whom you have dealt with before? Then fine - but a stranger passing thru who needs 10 gallons of gas to get to their destination 200 miles away, that you will probably never see again - gonna turn them away?

And what happens when you do not detect the cheating and unwittingly pass on the counterfeit currency (whether it is paper or PM)?

My assertion is that if the currency doesn't have an intrinsic value, whether it is paper or PMs, then it is still "fiat money" - regardless. Whereas iron, steel, brass, copper, dimensional lumber, plexiglass, even plastic tubing, all these have an intrinsic value - much less chance that you will wind up holding the bag.

Who needs money? In the Seattle area you don't have to pay rent, the State says so. If you want something just go into a store and walk out with it, the company says not to attempt to stop shoplifters, and we know the police will not come. What good would precious metals do to someone who needs gas or groceries? Money and metals only are good to those who have it. In a survival situation it will be the person who can take care of their own. What happens if the computers go down across the country? No cash machines, cash registers, or any means of trade? That is what you should really think about.

That may be true, if you ever see them again. Are you only going to deal with someone who you know, whom you have dealt with before? Then fine - but a stranger passing thru who needs 10 gallons of gas to get to their destination 200 miles away, that you will probably never see again - gonna turn them away?

And what happens when you do not detect the cheating and unwittingly pass on the counterfeit currency (whether it is paper or PM)?

My assertion is that if the currency doesn't have an intrinsic value, whether it is paper or PMs, then it is still "fiat money" - regardless. Whereas iron, steel, brass, copper, dimensional lumber, plexiglass, even plastic tubing, all these have an intrinsic value - much less chance that you will wind up holding the bag.
Show me a point in the history of civilization where gold and silver haven't been valued. PMs are not fiat currency any more than ammo or lumber or any other tangible item would be. That you don't value them is your personal choice. I think I will be able to find some else who would be interested in trading.
Making fraudulent pm s that can pass cursory inspection is a lot harder than running bogus bills on a copy machine. I will use due diligence, but I'm not as worried about getting burned as some folks.

When it counts, ammo and toilet paper seem to hold their own as a currency.
In the book series I'm reading (one second after, etc), ammo is one of the main forms of currency with .22lr being the most valuable. Granted, the author is obviously not a gun guy though the sentiment rings true

In the book series I'm reading (one second after, etc), ammo is one of the main forms of currency with .22lr being the most valuable. Granted, the author is obviously not a gun guy though the sentiment rings true
Yep. I'm a big fan of apocalyptic fiction because the authors test a lot of theory and human behavior. In every case he or she who has the ammo wins.

I've read several but…They don't actually test the theories, they write fictional stories.
Generally fiction authors explore the theories as thought exercises at best, and yes, they do not empirically test the theories. Some have some experience, some may base their fiction on the experiences of others, but few (if any) actually test the theories in full. It is important for those who point to PAW fiction as evidence to remember that PAW fiction is fiction, not necessarily fact.

That said, I do come down on the side of items with intrinsic value having more usefulness than something that doesn't have that same value, or items of much less intrinsic value, in a scenario where a socio-economic collapse is complete (especially widespread, as in nationwide or even international) and/or long lasting.

OTOH, I doubt the probability of a total international socio-economic collapse (i.e., worldwide or close to it). National or regional, sure - it has happened and is not rare, just notable. Both geographic size and duration are important factors when considering this issue. E.G., Cascadian Earthquake would maybe impact value of US currency inside the PNW, but probably much much less than if there was some nationwide catastrophe.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads