JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Latest reports show he died in Longview, WA at the hospital - St. Johns. With all of the bad things I've heard about that hospital as well as relative's personal experiences at that hospital I hope it doesn't turn out that he would have made it if flown to one of the major trauma centers in Portland or Vancouver.

Sad to hear that it happened - especially over an attempt to steal a vehicle.

Suspect is a 21yo male - think they said Daniel Butts of Kalama, WA. Shot and survived in Portland Hospital - after opening fire on other responding officers.

Last Edited:
My question to this, if you see an officer in trouble and no visable help around, do or would you run and offer the officer assistance?

Yes with out a doubt.. just cause they have a badge doesn't mean they have super human strength, if i were there and I saw what was going on i would assist..

I was told by a LEO friend of mine just this evening that the Chief was in a struggle, lost his firearm and was shot execution style in the head by this thug that deserves no less than what he gave.
My thoughts and prayers go out to this Man's family, friends, and the community in which he has served the last 25 years of his life!

Yes with out a doubt.. just cause they have a badge doesn't mean they have super human strength, if i were there and I saw what was going on i would assist..

Blue skies chief. I wish strength and love to your family as they mourn your loss.

Never hesitate to help a police officer in a scuffle. Never*. Regardless of how one feels about them and the political stigma associated with their jobs, do something to help**.

* 99.9% of the time

** As a civillian assiting a police officer during a stuggle, You could probably be as aggressive as necessary and be just fine legally

My question to this, if you see an officer in trouble and no visable help around, do or would you run and offer the officer assistance?

100% Yes!!

I still remember as a kid we were on our way home from the Colton area(Sunday drive maybe?) and just as we got east of Colton there was an officer wrestling with a guy on the shoulder. Our van came to a sudden stop and out flew my dad. Next thing that guy new he was having his face smashed into the gravel shoulder and being told to mellow out. After several meetings of his face to the gravel, he mellowed was cuffed and the officer offered a Thank You and hand shake to my dad. I don't think I will ever forget that day.
As for me having many Friends who are Police officers I would not even hesitate to help an officer in deres.

I drove by there @ 10am this morning, gaaaa....it makes me sick to my stomach.
Prayers to his family.

I suppose his family gets support from the P.D. , but maybe us folks here at NWFA can kick in and help his family out a little? gaaaaa...... I feel some tears coming..... stupid meth heads.

I have been in shock most of the day from this. I grew up in rainier and went to school with his kids. Ralph was the nicest LEO I have ever met. He let me slide with a stern "You don't want to mess of your life" type of warning, or "seriously, son you know better" type of lesson, more than once. He was stern and by the book when needed and understanding when required. I don't live there anymore or have much touch back in the local community but they are hurting for sure. Everyone I know whom has ever been affected by this small bedroom community is saddened and shocked by this. There is no way to replace a Ralph Painter. RIP.:(

128301629v4_480x480_Front.jpg

Sad indeed. My company is headquartered in Longview, and a lot of people that work for us are from both sides of the river and surrounding hills, including Rainier. I did not know him personally, but I'm sure he has positively touched the lives of many of our employees and their families over the years.

Any time an LEO is injured or killed while trying to protect and uphold the law it is a sad thing. I am at a loss for words.

My old delivery route took me to Rainier every Tuesday( I have since switched routes). Chief Painter was usually in the Deli Store and More when I arrived to service the store. He never failed to say 'Hello' to me as I was walking through to the back room. He would also wave as he drove down the street as I was working in my trailer.

I didn't know him personally, but from what I have heard and seen, he was a genuinely nice person. This is an astounding loss for Law Enforcement as well as the town of Rainier.

GOD BLESS his family, and I would be in if there is a donation fund started here.

E

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just an update, but from what im told any donations can be made to a B of A in his name. The fund is set up at the Rainier B of A since it is pretty much the only bank in Rainier. Been that way for years.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top