Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Rainier Arms no longer does SBRs

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by Fiorina, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Fiorina

Fiorina Federal Way, WA Member

So I just got off the phone with rainier, I wanted them to SBR an AR for me. They told me they no longer offer that service because their lawyers advised them not to. So is there anywhere else? Or am I stuck sending it out of state?

2. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

3. Fiorina

400$ in tax stamps? It will only cost 200$ for someone to SBR a lower for me. I already have a short barreled upper and etc.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  4. PDXSparky

I could be wrong about that. I don't know if the FFL has to pay for the stamp as well.

5. Fiorina

I talked to Pantel Tactical in Renton, they are going to do the SBR for me. Verified it's just 200$ in tax stamps in case anybody else is wondering

PDXSparky likes this.
  6. Wasniahc

Wasniahc Issaquah Member

According to my LGS owner "the state of Washington pissed of the ATF so no SBRs for a while"

Take that for what its worth. He advised just building a pistol.

7. keitha300wsm

keitha300wsm Lebanon, OR Member

Why not just do it yourself on a form 1. Then when you get the paperwork back just pin the SBR upper on it.

8. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

ATF has determined that it is illegal to build SBRs in Washington and has been denying Form 1s.

9. Fiorina

That is what we all want to do. But can't.

10. jac1304

jac1304 Snohomish, WA Member

So,essentially we just have to buy one manufactured as an sbr; then we are good to go?

11. PDXSparky

Yep.

12. Lilhigbee

Lilhigbee SE Portland Visit Target550.com Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Just curious, what is the advantage of an SBR lower over a pistol lower?? Seems like the $200 tax stamp would pay for a very nice pistol lower and you could do what you want with it. What am I missing??

13. Wasniahc

Wasniahc Issaquah Member

Well not having to worry about accidentally sholdering a pistol whenyou come up to your cheek.

14. Fiorina

I want the real rifle stock and look. Not a brace or something.

15. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Any more information on why it's supposedly illegal to build an SBR in WA?

16. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Googling the bill....

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, or have in possession or under control, any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short- barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or to assemble or repair any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle.

(2) It is not unlawful for a person to possess, transport, acquire, or transfer a short-barreled rifle that is legally registered and possessed, transported, acquired, or transferred in accordance with federal law.

Looks like (1) makes "manufacturing" one illegal, and (2) forgot to including "manufacturing" in the exemption. Slip of a legislature's mind, now you're a criminal. Nice.

17. Fiorina

So ya in essence they didn't include the word "manufacture" in the bill. But if you head on over to arfcom, there you will find a thread in the WA section about the bill being fixed for 2016. So I'm hopeful about that working out

18. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Hopefully it gets fixed..........

I have a dedicated .45 lower I want to SBR and now that Rainier does not do it......Guess I should have done it a lot sooner :rolleyes: