JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My western oregon rain gear is Cabela's "Dry Plus" : its quiet on the outside, but not "fleecy" as much as to gather brush particles as you walk or sit down.

Trouble is, even though not insulated, it's dual-layer construction makes it almost too warm all the time here in Oregon, and so I sweat inside, and become almost as wet as if I had no rain gear. It works a lot better when I go to Montana, and get in a sleet storm, or such, at temps in the 30's. It was also nice on Caribou and Sheep trips to Alaska.

My brother who lives in Alaska is fond of this saying when I show up in my Cabela's stuff (usually employing some form of Gore-Tex):

"Gore-Tex is nice. Rubber is waterproof." (Usually expressed as he is donning his Helly-Hansen.)

He is absolutely right.

River's West stuff is nice. I've used gamehide and it works fine, but slow to dry. I keep the PVC/rubber handy when I'm sitting, and use the others if I'm planning to do some walking.

And I LOVE Helly-Hansen outerwear. Usually to loud for hunting, but I stay dry.

Random tanget:

Years back I had a friend that swore by his oilskin jacket. I do not have any experience with oilskin but this thread got me thinking... so... where would a oilskin rate compared to Gore-Tex?

-d

Rivers west is loosing ground fast ok as a fishing coat not a good hunting jackets takes forever to dry and too warm. I have mt50 and it is pretty good for gortex but lately I am wearing the Helly Hansen Impertech rain gear very reasonably priced has some stretch material so it moves with you it is not gortex but you won't get wet from the out side and its fairly quite on those wet late October or November northwest days.

Oil skin is probably good at shedding water but it would be noisier and not breath that is why they invented gortex grin!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top