JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert."

Either you learn to deal with the rain or you stay home. Common sense about keeping things dry goes a long way.

One tip, watch your hat. Seen more than one charge dampened when somebody tipped their head down to look into the bore/pan/measure and a bunch of water came off the brim.

Flintlocks do work in the rain...
You just gotta keep the lock covered / cupped with your hand...and if loaded and primed for an extended time...change your priming at times...

As for matchlocks...don't have much shooting experience with those...so I can't really say...

The rain may indeed affect the turnout for the shoot at Greene's...
I still will be going , and Friday may be the best day to see my display...with it only being a one man show and weather , I will have a smaller display...8-10 guns and sundry items...
Andy

Weather_Rain_line.gif
Well Darn! I hope it clears up by noon...:(

@AndyinEverson taught me, keep a cloth over your lock works and pan.
I spent a day hunting in pouring down rain with my flinty, used a thin watch of oiled leather, approx 8" x 12". I wrapped it around the lock.
Also keep your muzzle below level so water doesn't run down the barrel.

At the end of a hard driving day of rain, hiking through the foothills in the Lehigh Valley, my pan, powder and the charge in my gun were all dry. I shot out my flintlock because I was getting on a plane with it the next morning.

Make yer self a nice leather lock cover, and lightly "Oil" it with tallow, will keep your lock work nice and dry, and your priming sbould also stay dry! Many old school shooters would also tie a leather cover over over the muzzle to prevent the ingress of water! :p:D:cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top