JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just a hint to all the HAM operators out there.

If you are up and running find your closest PRA repeater and program it in (if you haven't already) and give it a try.

I just got coax strung under the house and my radios moved inside so it makes it much easier. I have also completed my 2 meter ground plane dipole antenna and can now easily talk to people in several states. THe PRA repeaters are linked and that makes this possible. https://w7pra.com/

I now have my radio on every evening so if you can hit a PRA repeater give me a shout!

Ed
KJ7ZNH

Just a hint to all the HAM operators out there.

If you are up and running find your closest PRA repeater and program it in (if you haven't already) and give it a try.

I just got coax strung under the house and my radios moved inside so it makes it much easier. I have also completed my 2 meter ground plane dipole antenna and can now easily talk to people in several states. THe PRA repeaters are linked and that makes this possible. https://w7pra.com/

I now have my radio on every evening so if you can hit a PRA repeater give me a shout!

Ed
KJ7ZNH
Yep, you're on there and coming into the KGW tower just fine. Gotta love linked systems. We just had a QSO, you're busy but we at least got a chance to make contact. You didn't know it was me. :)

Ha ! Kruej and I just had a great convo on the 2 Meter frequency ! NIce to talk to someone (and a forum member) in 'real time' and on voice.

Anyone who is considering 'radio' for whatever purpose should look into 'modern' HAM. Even with a basic 'technician' license and minimal equipment one can do what we did tonight.

Last Edited:
Yep - much better than text/typewritten messages!

How was the background noise? Much ? You were very clear with just mild 'white noise' in the background.
You had some scratch on it and a couple times you cut out where I could only hear partial words. Otherwise it was good and understandable. :)

I am only up about 20' on my 'homemade' ground plane dipole and am impressed I can do as well as I am.

Next step is to put it up to about 40' which should help.

Also I am connected with a single run of 1/2" coax - no connections between antenna and radio - makes a huge difference!

So the last step in my kit is a radio, and I know as much about them as I know about my wife's podcasts... I see Kenwood, Motorola, Bao Feng, Cobra and others but I'm looking for some recommendations... Good, bad, ugly? I'll get the appropriate cable for my headset once I decide on a radio. Thanks!
This is man's radio. Forget about those little baby blue and purple ones... :p
04046CAD-2674-47A3-8E45-0A15CEC90528.png
6F21A8B3-6264-439D-A62B-140F8393D3B7.jpeg

There's so much info missing it's impossible to even begin telling you where to start. You need to do some initial research on your own to figure out what's out there and what you intend to use it for. Don't focus on the hardware yet, lay down what you want to use it for first.

A lot of emergency services, etc are using trunked and encrypted digital systems these days. You aren't going to be able to broadcast on those frequencies. You likely won't even be able to listen without some serious hardware.

I have a GMRS license and a few radios that allow me to legally use that range. My wife and I use it mostly on trips when we're in separate vehicles.

I've looked into HAM, but found that HAM people are some of the most hateful, vile, self-absorbed, petty and unhelpful group I've ever encountered. I'm also just not that interested in becoming a radio geek, I have enough hobbies.

You're going to get lectured constantly on licensing, legal radio types for the frequency range you want to use, etc. Remember, if this is for SHTF, none of that matters in a practical sense.

Good luck, the radio world is a rats nest. I went through a lot of it and found GMRS fit my needs.
Careful with generalizations like that. The ham arena is a specific genre of radio and requires a specific set of rules and customs to navigate through it. This, there's a very specific community of those who embrace and thrive in it. Not too much different from those who enjoy Glock's, AR's, Harley's, Cigars(very important... :cool:), etc.

Careful with generalizations like that. The ham arena is a specific genre of radio and requires a specific set of rules and customs to navigate through it. This, there's a very specific community of those who embrace and thrive in it. Not too much different from those who enjoy Glock's, AR's, Harley's, Cigars(very important... :cool:), etc.
I know it ruffles feathers, but it was my experience. Nobody wanted to genuinely help, just refer you to the books and give you lectures about if you even think about breaking the rules, they will track you down and report you to the FCC. Not my kinda compadres.

I know it ruffles feathers, but it was my experience. Nobody wanted to genuinely help, just refer you to the books and give you lectures about if you even think about breaking the rules, they will track you down and report you to the FCC. Not my kinda compadres.
No worries. I totally understand your point of view. :)

Nobody wanted to genuinely help,
Like I said previously this was NOT my experience at all. The HAM community in the area I live is/was incredible helpful, friendly and accommodating. Many went out of their way to help me and I have met some very good people I communicate with regularly.

I have been given very usable equipment to start out with and help with building a couple antennas, and if I need small parts like coax connectors, coax, etc I can call one of many and ask if they have it and they will take the time to look.

Heck when I was just getting interested one of the local volunteer test givers came over to my house personally to let me know a new class was starting locally which I ultimately attended.

I just got my GMRS handheld radio. Still trying to get myself around it. But so far, this communicates better and farther than my old entry level walkie talkie that we use on Hiking and groceries... The only downside that I see here is for my wife use and purpose. The size normal than the old pocket size talkie's we had.
But for emergency, this is definitely a novice!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top