JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So the last step in my kit is a radio, and I know as much about them as I know about my wife's podcasts... I see Kenwood, Motorola, Bao Feng, Cobra and others but I'm looking for some recommendations... Good, bad, ugly? I'll get the appropriate cable for my headset once I decide on a radio. Thanks!

It needs to be a portable radio, likely to strap to my plate carrier and there it will stay. I'm not worried about hooking it up in the home at all. I'm just unsure of frequencies, etc that are typically used in tac radios. There are as many options in radios as there are cars lol

It needs to be a portable radio, likely to strap to my plate carrier and there it will stay. I'm not worried about hooking it up in the home at all. I'm just unsure of frequencies, etc that are typically used in tac radios. There are as many options in radios as there are cars lol
I don't think you understand what people are asking here. For now Google FRS, and GMRS radios and this will get you some info to start.

Have you considered getting your ham radio license? It's not difficult and opens up a lot more options. :)

OP, if you want to talk to other members of a hunting party, look into any of the FRS or GMRS handhelds as Alexx1401 mentioned. I've used both Motorola and Uniden with good results in the past. Can't tell you much about current Motorola, mine was an older version that I liked a lot.

Many members have used Baofeng dual band radios for hunting/emergency/SHTF/Survival. And will probably chime in.
https://baofengtech.com/baofeng-radio/
https://baofengtech.com/product/dmr-6x2/

For rescue and staying in touch with family at home, consider getting one of the GPS/Sat units that has an emergency button.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/garmin-inreach-mini-handheld-gps-satellite-communicator?ds_e=MICROSOFT&ds_c=Shop|CAB|TopPerformers|Hunting&msclkid=5873ae8430df1b17c0b4cfe2da41f0c0&gclid=5873ae8430df1b17c0b4cfe2da41f0c0&gclsrc=3p.ds

https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-gear-supplies/gps-navigation-gear/satellite-phone-gps-locators/spot-x-2-way-satellite-messenger-with-bluetooth/p/1538433?channel=shopping&msclkid=78b5d1c7b1fa1b91f815b0a15b64fce3&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing - Shopping - NB - CampingGear - Med - Stores&utm_term=4580702888708787&utm_content=GPS & Navigation Gear

Last Edited:
Have you considered getting your ham radio license? It's not difficult and opens up a lot more options.
I highly agree with this.

I got mine (technician level) and it has opened up a whole new world of knowledge for me. I have had a pretty fair 'novice' background in radio & electronics but until I took a local HAM class I never realized him much I didn't know.

Sure, a person can start with a pretty inexpensive handheld and once you learn how to program it you can utilize the GMRS and FRS frequencies (and along with a few others) but these have only limited use and are not widely utilized.

A Technician license allows you the use of the 2 meter (144-148 MHz - and a few others) but 2 meter is very popular for local and some long range use by the use of repeaters. (google ham radio repeaters for some education) I have talked to several people in other states on the Peak Radio Association repeater network and there are some regular 'nets' (networks) in various areas that meet on a regular schedule to chat.

Heck I am now building my own antennas and will be moving on to my general license soon and moving onto HF (high frequency) HAM radio soon which incorporates the higher meter (lower frequency) ranges of the more traditional 'HAM' radio arena.

Interesting stuff and an I have learned a lot in the last several months !

TO address your question about radios specifically there are a many of good ones but ALOT start with a Baofeng.

Reason is they are very inexpensive and offer a lot of 'bang for the buck'. They do take some patience to learn how to use and program which can be done manually or online through a few radio programming sites with a cable.

Mine was given to me (Baofeng UV-5R) and I learned to 'manually' program it and once I learned it's idiosyncrasies I can enter and store a freq pretty quickly. In some ways manually programming it makes it easier to use as you can enter in only the freqs you will use (given the ability to use them as in legally or because of the repeater network you have available) but many get the cable and computer program them as well.

PM for more help if you need. Like I said I am fairly new to this but can lay out some of the basics to make it easier!

There's so much info missing it's impossible to even begin telling you where to start. You need to do some initial research on your own to figure out what's out there and what you intend to use it for. Don't focus on the hardware yet, lay down what you want to use it for first.

A lot of emergency services, etc are using trunked and encrypted digital systems these days. You aren't going to be able to broadcast on those frequencies. You likely won't even be able to listen without some serious hardware.

I have a GMRS license and a few radios that allow me to legally use that range. My wife and I use it mostly on trips when we're in separate vehicles.

I've looked into HAM, but found that HAM people are some of the most hateful, vile, self-absorbed, petty and unhelpful group I've ever encountered. I'm also just not that interested in becoming a radio geek, I have enough hobbies.

You're going to get lectured constantly on licensing, legal radio types for the frequency range you want to use, etc. Remember, if this is for SHTF, none of that matters in a practical sense.

Good luck, the radio world is a rats nest. I went through a lot of it and found GMRS fit my needs.

I have to echo what some others said; get the ham ticket. It opens way more option than others. If not interested, GMRS requires a license but no test, and offers a lot of options.

As to makes; I've always had great results with Icom's offerings. Cobra with CBs have been good too. Experienced with Alinco is decidedly mixed. YMMV.

^^^ What these guys said. Pay attention to the frequency availability. The hardware is the secondary consideration. It is the available frequency that is usually the limiting factor. It even was a challenge in the military. Before going anywhere in the US I'd have to beg borrow and steal to get assigned a frequency for my unit to use.

I've looked into HAM, but found that HAM people are some of the most hateful, vile, self-absorbed, petty and unhelpful group I've ever encountered.
Heard this myself and while this is probably true for any hobby/interest it depends on the area/local.

In my area the local HAM organization has been incredibly friendly, helpful and very generous.

Not only did they sponsor a local HAM radio licensing class earlier this year, I have been given three radios by local HAMs (Older units but very usable) and have been helped with some antenna building assistance, parts & materials and those who are the more long term, experienced HAMs are always quick to respond with friendly help and suggestions whenever I ask.

They are also very helpful in the community and participate in volunteer projects - such as the Wall that Heals that was recently in LaPine.

Hardly 'hateful, vile and self-absorbed'......

Last Edited:
I worked as a Motorola service manager for a number of years so I'm a little brand biased, and think that Moto is top shelf, but things that I would consider no matter what brand radio you get, is to get radios that have some of these features:
  • As has been mentioned many frequencies are governed by the FCC so you either can't legally use them, or can't use them without an FCC license for that specific freq. Then those licensed freqs are constrained to a geographical area so really not good for a mobile radio. HAM licenses allow you use the Amateur band of frequencies, but most of these are freqs that require a large antenna to have any efficiency at all, so they are generally either home base stations or vehicle mounted setups.

The easy way around it is to use FRS (Family Radio Service) or GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) radios. They give you a spread of frequencies/channels to use, but you are sharing them with anyone else in the area using FRS/GMRS radios. FRS radios are license free, but relatively low power (2 watts or less) and limited in frequencies/channels. GMRS radios have more frequencies/channels and higher power (2-50 watts) but require a GRMS license to use (legally). I believe a single license works for the whole family.

• If you go, other than FRS/GMRS, the get something that is multiband (vhf/uhf) as some frequencies work better under different conditions.

• Also consider something that has a rechargeable battery pack, but will also take AA batteries. In a pinch if SHTF, you may not have access to power to charge the battery pack, but might be able to scrounge up some AA batteries.
Good luck!

Then those licensed freqs are constrained to a geographical area so really not good for a mobile radio.
I can appreciate your experience but the 2 meter band is VERY common in mobile applications and works well.

I carry my Baofeng with my in my vehicles and with a little 15" mag mount on the roof I can hit a couple repeaters and can talk in a pretty wide range - including over to the 'Valley' from Central Oregon. I often chat with people traveling through the area who program to one of the popular repeater frequencies in the area, specifically two on Walker Mountain.

I have also talked out of state on the Peak Net with a fairly small (and quickly built) four radial beam antenna which I plan to make a better version of but when I say small it's only 19" high with four 19" radials at a 45 degree angle around all corners. Heck I can hit several repeaters with my Baofeng and an approx 18" coiled antenna I made for it out of a piece of 10 gauge copper wire. (shown below)

Most HAM operators I know in the area have 'dual band' radios in their vehicles as well.

IMG_2788[1].JPG

I can appreciate your experience but the 2 meter band is VERY common in mobile applications and works well.

I carry my Baofeng with my in my vehicles and with a little 15" mag mount on the roof I can hit a couple repeaters and can talk in a pretty wide range - including over to the 'Valley' from Central Oregon. I often chat with people traveling through the area who program to one of the popular repeater frequencies in the area, specifically two on Walker Mountain.

I have also talked out of state on the Peak Net with a fairly small (and quickly built) four radial beam antenna which I plan to make a better version of but when I say small it's only 19" high with four 19" radials at a 45 degree angle around all corners. Heck I can hit several repeaters with my Baofeng and an approx 18" coiled antenna I made for it out of a piece of 10 gauge copper wire. (shown below)

Most HAM operators I know in the area have 'dual band' radios in their vehicles as well.

View attachment 1049837
I don't have a ton of experience with the HAM side of the house so apologies if I passed on bogus info. I worked mainly with mobile, base and hand held vhf/uhf radios within metropolitan systems/farms/etc, and was assuming (I know, I know) that the OP was looking for a small radio that could be thrown in a backpack for a SHTF situation where repeaters would not be available. I was thinking an inexpensive point-to-point radio to communicate within his party or family. If he's looking for longer range comms with other folks, then a 2m would probably be a better choice.

I have quite an assortment of FRS/GMRS radios. They all work surprisingly well for their basic function, communicating in the woods or across a lake, from bargain priced to expensive.

The differences multiply quickly in features and price. But I've found the more features any radio has, the more features remain unused by me. Confound this by controlling all these features via a multi-function control. I've found that while I'm scrolling thru features with the multi-function button, I can inadvertantly change settings I wished not to change, when I'm looking at tiny logos instead of words.

Call beep? Roger beep? Individualized beep settings? 1/4 power, 1/2 power, full power, splitting frequencies, locking settings, viewing transmit and receive power graphs, flashlight mode, noise limiting, squelch, and more... All controlled via one button, it's easy to get confused.

Personally, all I want is on/off/, volume, channel and sub-channel, and a simple manual beep button. Beeps have a habit of getting thru for initial contact, when voice does not.

Last Edited:
I don't have a ton of experience with the HAM side of the house so apologies if I passed on bogus info.
Hey I am a newbee myself and don't have a ton of experience yet myself - but my knowledge is getting 'heavier'!

Yea 2 meter is kind of the 'intro' freq for entry level HAMS but has (an is) becoming very popular for mobile use. Kind of like the 'new CB' in a way. When the FCC dropped the 'code ' requirements for HAM radio licensing new HAM licensees increased dramatically. While it does not have some of the advantages of lower frequencies for simplex (radio to radio) use - such as 'skip' and the 'bending' of the 27ish MHZ AM CB frequencies, it can still be used on simplex with fair range however repeaters really make it shine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top