JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For anyone who is interested in getting an FDA approved product I posted a WTT/WTS thread.

I was trying to obtain a supply for family in Japan, because even working on the base they weren't given any at the time. I would never live without it and when you have loved ones...you would do anything to protect them right!?! Until this crisis I had no knowledge of anything to protect ones self. I drove around and called stores around PDX and they were wiped out and with a wait list a mile long. So, if your looking to prepare and survive exposure you may want to read more about what it does protect. I'm not advertising for them as there are a couple other FDA approved products.
<broken link removed>

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/potassium-iodide-tablets-iosat-130mg.55061/

Lol, I plan on becoming the next radioactive super hero! Not my site below, seriously. lol.

<broken link removed>

I did watch some documentaries on Chernobyl and boy it really makes you trust the gov. I've heard from those in Japan that they are and/or were not being told anything compared to what we know. Again, go figure. As it goes money talks and I'm suuurrre that Tepco executives families are safe and out of the country somewhere on important business.

I never said it's a magic pill. Although, I'm assuming you are telling me that if you were in their, my family or those affected, place & situation you would dismiss a possible "magic pill" as snake oil? If I know thyroid cancer can kill my child due to exposure...slowly and painfully...and still may suffer other exposures. I will take my chances for myself and those who I love who willingly risk the chance of taking it. It's just like antivenin or the like, die trying or do nothing at all. Even heart meds, insulin etc etc, people fight to live. Even in the ER if you have an allergy to penicillin type of antibiotics, they will give it to you to save your life and deal with the allergy too. How do I know? We have already experienced that first hand.

I'm can hardly wait for the debris from Japan to get to the coast......I've always wanted a glass float that glows in the dark......

Seriously however, there can be no doubt if you are exposed, Potassium Iodide pills can protect you from SOME radiation poisoning. Direct exposure to gamma can only be countered by heavy shielding.

The iodide pills last 1 day ... gotta take them every day. The cancer takes 20-30 year5s to develop. If you get Iodine radio isotopes internally, you will have gotten a whole lot of other radioisotopes internally also. Iodine pills would be pretty low on my concern, or even belief that I could seriously prevent a medical problem concerning. Various isotopes of ionizing radiation last from seconds to thousands of years before it decays to a very minimal level. It just keeps to clicking (emitting alpha, beta, or gamma radiation). It only takes one particle, or gamma ray to create a cancer. For example Iodine 131, a beta emitter, has a half life of 8 days. So 8 days later there is still half the original quanity of Iodine 131 present. Being a beta emitter it can certainly cause mutation of thyroid cells to thus become cancerous.

On the other hand Strontium 90 is also a beta emitter with a half life of 28 years. Strontium will substitute for Calcium in the bones. So if you get Strontium 90 on your bone tissue, bone marrow and teeth. Leukemia and anemia are big threats.

So I don't think spending my money on large quantities of Iodide pills (60-90 days worth), only to be exosed to Strontium 90 and literally hundreds of other radioisotopes really makes much sense. There just really is no cure, or prevention of radioillness once the stuff gets into the ecosystem.

Spend my money on booze is my thought.

It sounds like you've read some and are quoting it, but you missed the real facts. I will feel safer knowing the history. I chose to make an informed decision. "in the milk', gee... are they seeing that now!?! Do you wonder if our all powerful dairy association would tell you immediately that it is in our cows milk for that matter...even if it is already have " in low doses". I know through family over there that they are not being told everything or were not. Would you just keep drinking it??? Looks like you will. Good for you and your buzz. So, I'm not trying to change your mind, but help those who are reading this, please, make an educated decision.

WHO | Health effects of the Chernobyl accident: an overview

QUOTE -
"
Thyroid cancer

A large increase in the incidence of thyroid cancer has occurred among people who were young children and adolescents at the time of the accident and lived in the most contaminated areas of Belarus, the Russian Federation and Ukraine. This was due to the high levels of radioactive iodine released from the Chernobyl reactor in the early days after the accident. Radioactive iodine was deposited in pastures eaten by cows who then concentrated it in their milk which was subsequently drunk by children. This was further exacerbated by a general iodine deficiency in the local diet causing more of the radioactive iodine to be accumulated in the thyroid. Since radioactive iodine is short lived, if people had stopped giving locally supplied contaminated milk to children for a few months following the accident, it is likely that most of the increase in radiation-induced thyroid cancer would not have resulted.

In Belarus, the Russian Federation and Ukraine nearly 5 000 cases of thyroid cancer have now been diagnosed to date among children who were aged up to 18 years at the time of the accident. While a large number of these cancers resulted from radiation following the accident, intense medical monitoring for thyroid disease among the affected population has also resulted in the detection of thyroid cancers at a sub-clinical level, and so contributed to the overall increase in thyroid cancer numbers. Fortunately, even in children with advanced tumours, treatment has been highly effective and the general prognosis for young patients is good. However, they will need to take drugs for the rest of their lives to replace the loss of thyroid function. Further, there needs to be more study to evaluate the prognosis for children, especially those with distant metastases. It is expected that the increased incidence of thyroid cancer from Chernobyl will continue for many years, although the long-term magnitude of the risk is difficult to quantify."

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top