JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I joined because I am researching the valkyrie. Got an insane deal on an upper last week. Threw it on my favorite lower and had an absolute blast pinging steel out at 500 yrds all weekend. The HUGE plus for me is that my 7 year old daughter was also going 10 for ten on steel without freaking out like when she shoots my Grendel. no kick! Now this morning I am finding out that alot of the manufacturers are bailing on the caliber :/ wondering if I should bail on it while I still can.

Why? You already own the upper and enjoy shooting it so just keep it. The caliber might well be dying but it's not like you can't load your own

I joined because I am researching the valkyrie. Got an insane deal on an upper last week. Threw it on my favorite lower and had an absolute blast pinging steel out at 500 yrds all weekend. The HUGE plus for me is that my 7 year old daughter was also going 10 for ten on steel without freaking out like when she shoots my Grendel. no kick! Now this morning I am finding out that alot of the manufacturers are bailing on the caliber :/ wondering if I should bail on it while I still can.
Just buy up a bunch of bras and when they stop making factory ammo, get into reloading.

If it makes you feel better, they still make some 17HM2. So not every caliber completely dies.

This is a really fun cartridge to shoot and re-load for. My best groups have come from once-fired Hornady brass and 80.5 gr Bergers. I haven't hunted coyotes with it yet but 400 yard gongs were easy. I wouldn't dump it just yet. Good luck.

This is a really fun cartridge to shoot and re-load for. My best groups have come from once-fired Hornady brass and 80.5 gr Bergers. I haven't hunted coyotes with it yet but 400 yard gongs were easy. I wouldn't dump it just yet. Good luck.
We had an absolute blast this weekend....The upper is a 20" Radical Firearms. I couldn't get it to group much tighter than an 1-1/2" at 100 yards off the bag, and we were pinging 10" steel out at 500....I feel like this gun could tighten up a bunch....So "in for a penny in for a pound" I think I am going to keep it and start looking at a ballistic advantage or Ranier Arms barrel. I am thinking also debating selling this upper for a little bit of a profit and buying a Rock River Arms complete upper....They are TACK drivers.

Where did you read about manufacturers bailing? Savage just brought out the 110 in .224. Federal has 3 different loads, the most recent being the 80.5 Gold Medal Berger and the 78 grain Barnes Triple-shock X. I'm just starting my build with a 24" BSF Carbon Fiber barrel and the Anderson Lower I won last month on here.

Where did you read about manufacturers bailing? Savage just brought out the 110 in .224. Federal has 3 different loads, the most recent being the 80.5 Gold Medal Berger and the 78 grain Barnes Triple-shock X. I'm just starting my build with a 24" BSF Carbon Fiber barrel and the Anderson Lower I won last month on here.
So Aero Precision is going away from them.....Ballistic advantage is only offering the barrels seasonally in much smaller runs. Radical Arms is moving away from them. Obviously Federal is supporting it, since they invented it...I am not saying it is going to be obsolete.....I was just hoping it would be as popular as the 6.5 grendel.....As I said above...the response on here has made me decide to stick with it. I am also going to use it as an excuse to start reloading.....So yay me.

I'm with you. I decided on the .224 Valkarie build after comparing the ballistics against the 6.5 Grendel. Less drift, less drop and a higher BC, plus lower recoil so my wife will love it. I will say I got the very last BSF blank in .224. They had 2 left, a 1:7 and a 1:6.5 twist. I went with the 1:7. They told me they were temporarily dropping it to concentrate on the more popular calibers for the remainder of the year but may bring it back next year. But after seeing everyone of their distributors "Out of Stock" I called them and was told there were only those two blanks left. Wasn't planning on buying the barrel this soon but I promptly put the 1:7 on order! They were 2-3 weeks on finishing it for me out so I should get it soon! I plan to reload as well. Just need the .224 dies. :)

Now if only a manufacturer will take on 22 Grendel.

Then I'd consider it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads