JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to hit up the gun works and gun shows after the holidays and see what I can turn up. If I find a nice .32 or .36 I'll probably get it, but I'll look for a .50 or larger as well.

I have no answer to that, but I recommend learning how to make your own! I's super easy to do, the three ingredients can be found pretty easy, and its a fun learning experience, and a life skill later on if SHTF!

Should also add they're members of the Forest Hills Black Powder Brigade, which has a monthly shoot outside Salem. The club has a website and Facebook page. Good group of people and would welcome a newcomer that needs a little help getting started (and if you're starting off with a flintlock you're going to need it.)

A little thread necromancy here.
I'm not a rank beginner (quite) but nowhere near as experience as Andy.
My first ML rifle was a .32 flintlock. The Cabela's catalog used to magically appear in my mailbox 15-20 years ago and there inside was the Pedersoli "blue ridge" rifles. Sort of a Hatfield style which, while probably not for the purist, I found to be very simple and pretty. It reawakened the 55+ year old itch from back in my childhood Davy Crockett era. I NEEDED a flintlock skorrel gun. So after a bit of leaving the catalog around and pointing it at my wife, I put the thought aside for a bit. Come Christmas time, there was a strange long box under the tree (my wife is a jewel), a .32 flintlock rifle.
As opportunity presented, I fired it a few times. Discovered as others have noted that it's a bit challenging. Mostly because of my ignorance on the tricks. Fortune intervened and I met an old neighbor a couple of miles away who was an avid BP shooter so I got to learn about things like the spit patch, knapping the flint and that BP is merely hygroscopic, not virulently corrosive like the WWII surplus ammo I grew up with. That bit of learnin' took much of the drudgery of cleaning away. I learned I didn't have to detail strip and clean with hot water every time to avoid my rifle turning into a relic off the Titanic. It quickly changed from a chore to great fun. Shooting "from the bag" I find greatly preferable to standing around a bench with a shooting box with every accessory in it. Later I bought an identical rifle in .50 which is a lot of fun too.

Short version, yes the .32 can be a bit of a challenge but not that bad and as has been noted is frugal with powder and lead. I don't find the .32 like mine in Pedersoli's line up these days, only the .45,.50 and .54 but didn't search that hard. Also I noted the price has nearly doubled since I got mine (odd, since we're constantly reassured there's almost no inflation) but not that out of line compared to everything else. Just do it :^)

I've sort of sidelined this for the moment, a trapdoor Springfield a Remington 700 and a couple others have got in the way, I'm still searching, will probably end up building a kit over the winter.

Well it took long enough, and it's not exactly what I was looking for ( OK not really close), but it was a good deal. And I figure this is a better and nicer way to get my feet wet in this world.

20180930_173016.jpg

I got it from a member here, 1863 springfield repro. I also had enough time today to cast up a mess o' minnies.

20180930_185150.jpg

As soon as I slug the bore (and figure out how to do that) I will order a nice 2 cavity mold sized to exactly fit the rifle.

Rifled muskets are a excellent way to get your feet wet , as you said.
Nice gun...!
A good load is usually 60-80 grains of 2F with a lubed .58 Minie of the proper size.

I never "slugged" my bore...but I would try different store brand balls / bullets ..find one the firearm liked...mic that ball / bullet , then order a mold of that size...
Any "left over" lead can be melted down and formed into the proper size later....
Andy

Rifled muskets are a excellent way to get your feet wet , as you said.
Nice gun...!
A good load is usually 60-80 grains of 2F with a lubed .58 Minie of the proper size.

I never "slugged" my bore...but I would try different store brand balls / bullets ..find one the firearm liked...mic that ball / bullet , then order a mold of that size...
Any "left over" lead can be melted down and formed into the proper size later....
Andy

The lee mold seems to be a good fit actually, and they come out right at .575, so maybe I got lucky and my rifle has a tight bore.

I still want a nice brass 2 cavity, the aluminum loses too much heat for pure lead, and I have to go at top speed. And 1 cavity is slooooow, lol.

I found all the proper measurements so I can roll up some m1855 paper cartridges too:D.

Anyone ever tried adding tin to the mix to help the bullets fill out better? I'm thinking a 40:1 mix would really help the cast ability without hardening up the balls too much, I think I will make up a small batch to test.

Back in about 1975 we, (I) did War Between The States re inactions. I had at that time something very much like your fine rifled musket, only mine was left hand. I still closed my eyes when firing. Much fun. Long ago. :)

Back in about 1975 we, (I) did War Between The States re inactions. I had at that time something very much like your fine rifled musket, only mine was left hand. I still closed my eyes when firing. Much fun. Long ago. :)

I have no plans to do a reenactment, and N-SSA shoot would be fun, but from what I can see they are all back east. Mostly it's just a fun way for me to start with muzzleloaders.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top