JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello. I was wondering if any of you WA residents could tell me what the legalities of varmint hunting/pest control on your own private property are in your state. I've been tasked to do some population control and don't want to run into any lawdogs on the hunt. Thanks for your responses.

AR

don't know about rabbits specifically, but I DO know its a felony offense to shoot feral cats at least in Thurston County.... is that insane or what? Animal control do nothing about them, they're too wary for traps, and are a bloody nuisance, breeding at insane rates. I do know that all across Washington it is legal to shoot/trap/kill ANY animal that is harassing or worrying livestock. Which makes coyotes fair game. Of course, there was the incident here a few years back where Fish and Wildlife was asked to deal with a cougar in a rural residential area which had been seen stalking schoolchildren, and menaced some of them. Parents would not allow their children to be out alone, even at bus stops... a local old timer saw the cougar in a tree on his property (after F&W declared it to be nonexistent and refused to persue the matter) and shot it. Well, the all-wise and all-capable F&W filed charges against the man...... fortunately, after a rather loud outcry from local residents and parents, the county prosecutor refused to persue the case, dropping the matter and declaring the man innocent of wrongdoing. I suppose F&W thought the cougar had to maim someone's pet goat BESIDES chasing after children before anyone could shoot it. That's whiz-dumb for ya.

As far as rabbits... I'd say if it was a legal shooting zone, and a few shots got popped off now and again, and a few rabbits leaked a bit at the same time, no one would notice or complain. I certainly intend to deal with the mob of coyotes near me..... they've managed to eat all the feral cats (thank you doggies) but have since taken out all the pheasants, house cats, small slow dogs, quail, most of the rabbits, and a few bluejays. They've also harried some horses, and if there were calves of colts, I've little doubt they'd feast on them. I'd like to get in some sheep, alpacas, geese, etc,,,, but don't want to feed them to the coyotes. So, out they go......

I guess I'm not sure if the property is a "legal shooting zone". There are no coyotes threatening livestock but the rabbits are threatening the landowners lively hood as they are eating all her plants (she owns a nursery). Her ex-husband used to shoot them now and again there so I'm guessing that their wasn't much complaining going on from the neighborhood. I'm just trying to get all my rabbits in a row, so to speak.

In WA some rabbits are protected and you cannot shoot them. Plus you have to be within a legal shooting area. If you go to the fish and game website you will see there is no season on them period. As far as hunting goes the only real time it is legal is in the act of depredation otherwise you would need a license just like you would for any other property. Thats just the way it is supposed to be done but I don't most people follow the law.

Scott

Easiest way to find out about the legal shooting zones is to go onto your county's website and try and figure out where the mapping and zoning stuff is. Most times there is a place where you can enter the tax parcel number, or use the street address of the property, and it will pull up that parcel's file. Usually there will be an option to view maps, which brings up the countywide mapping feature. Again, usually, there is a row of tickboxes to one side in a menu, and "no shooting" might be one of the options. Alternatively, the county ordinances should be available online at the county's website, wander about until you turn up the bit about firearms, no shooting zones, etc. Hopefully there will be a map, or detailed boundaries of such zones. Last resort, ring up your local constabulary and make a direct query. If you learn that property is NOT legal for shooting, I'd wait at least a few weeks before actually doing it. If its a rural area, and others shoot there from time to time, I doubt anyone will create a fuss. BBesides, if's na kin git em ta awl lahn up lak ye wuz a sayin all's itud tek would be one bullit... make it a big'un and put a mess ob em in yer stewpot alongside summa them greens yer frien's a growin.

This may clear it up for anyone that is interested:

9.12.030 No shooting near habitation.

Except as provided in Section 9.12.040, it is unlawful for any person to discharge any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle or any other firearm or device fired or discharged with explosives, or airgun or air rifle or bow and arrow, at any place within the unincorporated territory of Clark County which is not done in a reasonably safe manner and at a reasonably safe distance or direction from any building capable of being occupied by people or domestic animals or any public park or officially designated recreational trail, which distance shall in no event be less than one hundred (100) yards for airguns, shotguns and bows and arrows, and two hundred (200) yards for all other firearms; PROVIDED, that such distance requirement from a building shall not apply to shooting by, or with the written permission of, the building’s owner or occupant. Nothing in this section shall be construed to permit shooting otherwise restricted or prohibited by Section 9.12.026. (Ord. 1974-10-15; amended by Sec. 4 of Ord. 1989-04-25; amended by Sec. 9 of Ord. 1995-12-31)

and:

(6) A firearm of one thousand two hundred (1,200) feet per second or less of muzzle velocity may be fired anywhere within the unincorporated areas of Clark County to protect crops or other property from marauding or scavenging animal predators or pests if done in a reasonably safe manner and at a reasonably safe distance or direction from all occupied recreational areas, parks, or places of habitation; PROVIDED, that this subsection shall apply to shooting of domestic animals only if such animals present an immediate threat of injury or death to livestock or other domestic animal and PROVIDED FURTHER, that, except in emergency situations, deer, elk and protected wildlife shall not be killed without a permit from the State Department of Wildlife issued pursuant to RCW 77.12.265.

Now. Be vewy, vewy qwiet. I'm hunting wabbits.

ar

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads