JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wanted to see if fellow NWF members could share there favorite quotes on interrelated topics such as Liberty-Freedom, the Constitution - Bill of Rights, Unalienable Rights, the Second Amendment, Patriotism, Survivalism-Prepping, Economics, etc. The "status updates" Tweets on our Profile Page are limited to 140 characters which doesn't allow for much profundity.

So, here are a few of my favorites:

"But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama, as quoted in "Dalai Lama urges students to shape world," in The Seattle Times (14 May 2001)

"An armed society is a polite society." - Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon (1942)

"If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying — that they must sweep under the rug the southern attempts at gun control in the 1870-1910 period, the northeastern attempts in the 1920-1939 period, the attempts at both Federal and State levels in 1965-1976 — establishes the repeated, complete and inevitable failure of gun laws to control serious crime." - Orrin Hatch, "The Right to Keep and Bear Arms", Republican United States Senator from Utah, serving since 1977.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -
Thomas Jefferson, WRITINGS OF THOMAS JEFFERSON 341 (Andrew A. Lipscomb ed., 1903). Letter to his nephew. ( <broken link removed> )

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them." - Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States (1833), p. 708. (Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States: With a Preliminary ... - Joseph Story - Google Books

"Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns."
- The Matrix (1999), (The Matrix (1999) - Quotes - IMDb

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe." - Noah Webster, Examination into the the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution (1787) in Pamphlets on the Constitution of the United States, Paul Leicester Ford (1888), p. 56. (Pamphlets on the Constitution of the United States: Published During Its ... - Google Books

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill

image.jpg

"Our government has no power except that granted it by the people. It is time to check and reverse the growth of government, which shows signs of having grown beyond the consent of the governed." - Ronald Reagan, January 20, 1981

Since the 1981, it shows a lot more than signs unfortunately.

"A government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims." -Ayn Rand

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." -Ayn Rand

While clearing out / organizing old files I happened upon this...
From a movie called "Second hand Lions", it's a part of a speech that Robert Duval's character (Hub McCann) gives to some young "tough guys" after he educates them.
I made it into a poster and gave it to my daughter to hopefully help keep her grounded while at Texas State on a full ride scholarship . She's graduating in May and has received a fellowship to continue for her Master's Deg in Health Communications (whatever the heck that is).
...She still has the poster.

poster painted.jpg

Another "Hub-ism";

I've fought in two world wars, and countless smaller ones on three continents. I've led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and tanks. I've seen the headwaters of the Nile and tribes of natives no white men had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, killed many men, and loved only one woman with a passion a flea like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am!

Last Edited:
I was looking for this quote since January of 2003. I think that is when I first got my concealed carry permitted. My Grandpa told me this, but he had memory lost of where he heard this from. Then over the years I forget about this quote. This bring me back memories of my Grandpa. Thank You.

"But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama, as quoted in "Dalai Lama urges students to shape world," in The Seattle Times (14 May 2001)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top