JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for that.

Local "youngster" (20's) I corrupted with the Sharps bug wants to make that trip. He chased antelope with me last year with his Pedersoli Target Rifle (12 pound gun, .45-70.)

I got stupendous video of him watching a herd we had traveled 3 miles on foot to approach and stalk. We baby-sat them for almost 2 hours. He turned down a shot I might have taken. He was careful and declined.

And then he killed the biggest damned goat in the world 5 days later with a .308.

I believe that my MT husband knows 2 men who went to this shooting event. One of them is dead now and the other one no longer posts on forums.

My husband owns this movie and it is one of his favorite movies! I like it but he REALLY, really likes this movie.

Crazy Cora cracks him up! Me too.

I adore the late Alan Rickman as an actor too. I love Tom's work as an actor too.

Years ago, I spoke to a man in Big Timber about one of their rifles. When I sold a bunch of my handguns years ago, I offered to gift my husband one of those rifles.

He likes them but he is happy with his MADE IN CT Marlin Classic '1895' 45-70 Government caliber rifle so he declined the offer. I thought that was crazy but since he would be shooting it - it was his decision.

Cate

I attend that match every year. The only ones I have missed were the first few that Al Lee put on, and that was because I was not yet retired from the Navy. I really need to move back there to be closer to the fun and friends.

I believe that my MT husband knows 2 men who went to this shooting event. One of them is dead now and the other one no longer posts on forums.

My husband owns this movie and it is one of his favorite movies! I like it but he REALLY, really likes this movie.

Crazy Cora cracks him up! Me too.

I adore the late Alan Rickman as an actor too. I love Tom's work as an actor too.

Years ago, I spoke to a man in Big Timber about one of their rifles. When I sold a bunch of my handguns years ago, I offered to gift my husband one of those rifles.

He likes them but he is happy with his MADE IN CT Marlin Classic '1895' 45-70 Government caliber rifle so he declined the offer. I thought that was crazy but since he would be shooting it - it was his decision.

Cate
Cate,

If you and your husband would like to participate in the Quigley Match, there is a "Lever Gun" class he can shoot in. The only requirements are the rifle is loaded one cartridge at a time and it must be cast bullets. Smokeless powders are fine, and gas check bullets are allowed. It would be a stretch if there is no Tang sight on the rifle. The 800 yard buffalo targets look pretty small at 800 yards.

Regards,
Bill

Cate,

If you and your husband would like to participate in the Quigley Match, there is a "Lever Gun" class he can shoot in. The only requirements are the rifle is loaded one cartridge at a time and it must be cast bullets. Smokeless powders are fine, and gas check bullets are allowed. It would be a stretch if there is no Tang sight on the rifle. The 800 yard buffalo targets look pretty small at 800 yards.

Regards,
Bill
Iron sights only?

The 800 yard buffalo targets look pretty small at 800 yards.
Are the Buffalo targets full size ?

Id like to give that a try if I was closer!

A couple years ago I was hitting an 18" gong at 500 yards with my 20 Buffalo Bill commemorative Mod 94 .30-30 but that was with 'full house' ammo - and it took a spotter with binos to see the hits.

800 yards with lead loads would be a challenge but I would try it with one of my 26" rifles.

Last Edited:
Iron sights only?
There is a scope class as well, vintage type period scopes, not the modern tacti-squatch scopes that are all the rage. Range and equipment rules are here:

Scopes are typically the old style such as Unertl or Fecker, Montana Vintage Arms offers a scope that fits the bill nicely. I have never observed a scoped lever action in use at a match. Years ago I had the chance to buy an original '95 Winchester in 30 USG, and it had a nice 6x Winchester A5 scope attached with original Winchester hardware. I passed on it.

Are the Buffalo targets full size ?

Id like to give that a try if I was closer!

A couple years ago I was hitting an 18" gong at 500 yards with my 20 Buffalo Bill commemorative Mod 94 .30-30 but that was with 'full house' ammo - and it took a spotter with binos to see the hits.

800 yards with lead loads would be a challenge but I would try it with one of my 26" rifles.
Yes, the Buffalo targets are full sized. Nearly every shooter has a spotter at the Quigley. The wind can be challenging as anyone who has shot it will tell you. And you do need a spotter who can read the wind. I have shot at the Buffalo for score (No sighters during competition) and the wind was such that I had a full 40 minutes left on my sight, and still had to "Kentucky" shots to get on target. The Offhand target at 350 is no cakewalk either. One time the wind was such that it was difficult to get a steady stance to shoot. And you can't wait out the wind. Two days to shoot 6 targets, eight shots per target, with around 600 shooters. When your squad is called to the line to shoot, you have to be ready. And you must use the same rifle for all targets. Minimum caliber is .375. It's a Buffalo Rifle match, so a 30-30 isn't allowed. The "smallest" people use is a 38-55, and it's not very effective.

Regards,
Bill

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews