JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm not sure this is the right place for a story, but I'd like to tell everyone what happened to me last night and potentially raise awareness for those getting a little too comfortable.

I'm temporarily staying in a small northwest town with some family while I'm waiting to move. Last night I was talking on the phone and didn't want to disturb my relatives, so I took a stroll down the road.

There is a strange guy down the road with a bunch of animals he generally lets freerange. He probably has about 2.5 acres, and only half of it is fenced. Birds, rabbits, and dogs are let loose over the rest of the yard. As I was walking by at around 10:00 pm, two 60-70 dogs start charging and barking at me from behind his house. They came all the way into the road. I never knew I could draw and activate my light so fast. I yelled to go home in my best tone.

I'm pretty sure I was saved by the output of the TLR-1 in the middle of the night and a loud voice that got the attention of the owner. I was also glad I had a front night sight. I never really thought I would ever find a real need for it, but turns out its a good idea to have this combo on your gun. That night I was about a half second from killing someones dogs.

Moral of the story: Get a light, get some nightsights, carry your gun, and mind your dogs.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Good advice on night sights. A few weeks back, I stayed at my shooting spot til dark to try out my light on my pistol (little streamlight LED-Amazing). But I also was amazed that I could barely see my sights, especially w/ the contrast of the bright LED light. And that was under totally calm, practice conditions. I am getting night sights for both my pistols soon...

I'm temporarily staying in a small northwest town with some family while I'm waiting to move. Last night I was talking on the phone and didn't want to disturb my relatives, so I took a stroll down the road.

There is a strange guy down the road with a bunch of animals he generally lets freerange. He probably has about 2.5 acres, and only half of it is fenced. Birds, rabbits, and dogs are let loose over the rest of the yard. As I was walking by at around 10:00 pm, two 60-70 dogs start charging and barking at me from behind his house. They came all the way into the road. I never knew I could draw and activate my light so fast. I yelled to go home in my best tone....

... That night I was about a half second from killing someones dogs.

Moral of the story: Get a light, get some nightsights, carry your gun, and mind your dogs.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Imagine that! Dogs coming out and challenging/barking at a stranger walking down their road at 10 PM talking on a phone. That is their job where I live. You sound like a city person just a little out of your element :) That "strange guy" would likely have taken great exception to you shooting his dogs... as would the rest of most small town communities. Then again, that's just my reaction to what you said...and it could be all wrong.

Your nightsight and light comments are cogent and appropriate, however. That said, it is also very important to understand the environment you are in so as to not overreact to "normal" things you are not used to encountering on a regular basis. No offense intended.

Someone's dogs come at me on a public road they're going to lose those dogs, yes it may be their job to protect the home, but if they don't know their bounds then you fence them, been there, chicken wire and posts aren't cheap but if your dogs don't understand their bounds its much better than dead pets or a lawsuit to cover someone's medical bills.

Someone's dogs come at me on a public road they're going to lose those dogs, yes it may be their job to protect the home, but if they don't know their bounds then you fence them, been there, chicken wire and posts aren't cheap but if your dogs don't understand their bounds its much better than dead pets or a lawsuit to cover someone's medical bills.

+1 :s0155:

I think just like a gun, dogs can be a good weapon. Like a gun, correct action and reaction is what keeps you safe.

As for BryanO, I think your reaction to the dogs was justified. Anywhere a dog is coming after me, I'm going to shoot to protect myself. I don't care if I'm in the city or the country.

As for the dog owner, be wise with your weapon. Be prepared for your actions, if someone is hurt by your dog. It will cost you and cost you big!!!!!!!

Imagine that! Dogs coming out and challenging/barking at a stranger walking down their road at 10 PM talking on a phone. That is their job where I live. You sound like a city person just a little out of your element :) That "strange guy" would likely have taken great exception to you shooting his dogs... as would the rest of most small town communities.

I agree 100%

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads