JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is there a reason Lee Loader doesn't include a flaring tool or a crimping tool when all the Lee presses do? Is it possible crimping isn't as important in a semi auto as it is in a revolver? My .357 Magnum and 38 Special Lee Loader kits include crimping and flaring tools.

jim

The 45 acp bullet isn't tapered (or a boat tail). You have to flare the case mouth a little just to get the bullet in the case. Personally I flare as little as possible. As for crimping I have used the Dillon tapered crimp die and the Lee Factory Crimp die with the Lee being my preference. When I switch to Lee the "bangs" were noticeably louder and the groupings were tighter. Ya gotta crimp

Aren't you guys talking about a Press? I'm referring to the Lee Loader (hand loader), and wondering why they don't feel flaring or crimping is necessary in this kit. I ruined two cases trying to start a bullet with no flare, so I went to my lathe and machined my own flaring tool. It works great and the design won't allow too much flare. I also bought a small arbor press from Harbor Freight and eliminated all the hammering. Before I got it set up I set off a primer in the stupid priming cup. Scared the crap out of me. Now I have a Lee hand primer which works great.

Well, it'll be just the ticket for revolvers with moon clips and bolt actions 45's. I think this is more likely an error on their web designer's part in copy & paste from the rifle info pages. It also seems an error on their part to not include a means to add a slight flare. From what I read online the 38/357 kit does have a flaring tool.

I called Midway to advise them my kit was incomplete, no flaring tool, and was told there is no flaring tool nor a crimping die in the Lee Loader (or Classic Loader if you please) 45 ACP kit. The neck sizing statement has no bearing here. And I load 38/357 rounds and there is a flaring tool in each kit and the sizing die will add a taper crimp using the "funnel" end. I wonder why they include flaring and crimping in their Lee Single Stage press and not the hand loader.

X2
45 head spaces on case mouth.
If you crimp do it gradual and test fit a dummy round to your barrel during die set up.
Some guns don't like to eat everything due to feed ramps etc.

That's pretty interesting/odd. I started my shenanigans with a Lee Loader in 9mm and it had flaring and anti-flaring devices/capability.
If you are somehow able to clear yourself of that loader in that caliber if that's the case, I'd encourage you to do so. If you want portability, low cost etc., I'd recommend the excellent Lee hand press that uses normal dies.
Good luck and keep us informed, please.

The taper crimp is only used to take out the flare, if you don't flare you don't need to crimp. I would not load lead or plated without flaring first but FMJ should be fine.
The 38/357 uses a roll crimp, whole different animal.
* 38/357 can use a taper crimp using plated or a very slight roll crimp.

The taper crimp is only used to take out the flare, if you don't flare you don't need to crimp. I would not load lead or plated without flaring first but FMJ should be fine.
The 38/357 uses a roll crimp, whole different animal.
* 38/357 can use a taper crimp using plated or a very slight roll crimp.
I don't think you're familiar with the Lee Loader.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top