JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First - Don't flame me, this is a simple question requiring a simple answer, not ridicule ;)

Recently I was browsing my local pawn shop and I came across a MagPul MOE butt stock for $10. Not caring at the time whether it was commercial or milspec I picked it up because hey, Saved myself $30+/- right?

The rifle I want to put it on has a commercial buffer tube and it turns out the stock is Milspec.

Being that I only have $10 invested, is it conceivable that I could just lightly sand or file out the guts of the butt stock and still use it on the commercial tube? Has anyone tried this at all?

Thanks in advance,

-DrCox

here is a quick overview of the differences between the commercial and milspec tubes.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=...-Tech-Tip-Mil-Spec-vs-Commercial-Buffer-Tubes

The commercial tube is 0.03" larger diameter. It would probably take a bit of work to evenly sand the inner diameter of the stock to get it to fit and move smoothly.

I'd recommend hitting up one or your local guns stores (MKtactical and Oregon Arms and Ammo are near hillsboro). They will both have inexpensive milspec buffer tubes to replace your commercial tube. If you dont have a castle nut wrench Im sure both places would help you install it as well. It's a 30 second process to swap them over

@bolus I've also been confused between the mil spec/commercial tubes. What are more common? Which would be most likely on a high end/Low end ARs? Or is it just a complete toss up?

Now I'm going to mic my one AR from I bought from Curt's.....Looks like mine is Mil Spec. 1.145"

@bolus I've also been confused between the mil spec/commercial tubes. What are more common? Which would be most likely on a high end/Low end ARs? Or is it just a complete toss up?

Now I'm going to mic my one AR from I bought from Curt's.....Looks like mine is Mil Spec. 1.145"

I'd say milspec is more common. Commercial is purely to make a cheaper product. Easiest way to tell is if it has a slanted back end. the way the threads are cut are a little different as well.

My vote is to always go milspec then you dont have to worry about mixing up parts.
Buffertube_Specs.jpg

For another $15 pick up a milspec buffer tube.
(Are they even that price anymore haha)
If your stock was milspec dont tailor it to commercial spec. Thats a whole lot of time that could have been used to do something else.

Or, sell or trade the stock for a profit or towards one that'll fit your commercial tube. In the long run you'd be better off just getting a milspec tube.
There is bound to be a buffer tube here on NWFA as well as folks with the tool for the job (spanner wrench)

Or, just a thought. If you have a drill bit extension, and a 1-1/4" sanding drum, run it inside the stock to relieve it until it fits the commercial tube.

Or, just a thought. If you have a drill bit extension, and a 1-1/4" sanding drum, run it inside the stock to relieve it until it fits the commercial tube.
I've done that in the past because I didn't know there was a difference, so I just Okied it until it fit...lol

Good solution, but if given the choice, always go milspec, because it is pretty universal for making parts by different makers play well together. But for $10.00? I'd have been all over that Magpul part as well.

Brutus Out

Yeah, you could always weight it and use it on your desk as a pencil holder? o_O

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top