Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Quick Question For My First AR

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NorthernBornRebel, Jan 13, 2009.

1. NorthernBornRebel

NorthernBornRebel Keizer Member

I just bought my first AR-15 (an Olympic) and reading through the manual, it says it's a gas operated rifle. I have looked everywhere on the rifle and I can't find anywhere to put the gasoline. Where is the fill hole? How much should I put in? Is it two cycle or just straight gasoline? Also, should I use a certain octane level or does it matter?

2. GreenEyedDevil

GreenEyedDevil Sherwood, Oregon Member

dude...you ignorant tool.

its natural gas.

3. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

You two need to add some smileys so people know you're joking :laugh:

4. NorthernBornRebel

Who's joking? I want to go shoot this thing tomorrow and I don't know what kind of gasoline to get before I go to the range.:huh:

5. korntera

korntera Oregon Member

Please tell me you arn't serious about this. One post is funny but if you really beleive that take your rifle back and take a basic safety course first:thumbup:

6. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Mix all 2 cycle weapons at a 40 to 1 ratio!

"I love the smell of Castor oil in the morning"

7. GreenEyedDevil

GreenEyedDevil Sherwood, Oregon Member

you guys are jerks. quick messing with the new guy.

northernbornrebel, there is a space in the stock for a little natural gas canister.

im sure it addresses it in the owners manual. if you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

8. stitchclimber

stitchclimber St. Louis Active Member

Northernborn, on the off chance that you are serious, the AR operates its action on the hot gases created by the powder burnign off as the bullets exits the barrel. This gas travels along a tube on top of your barrel and cycles the action. I really hope you are joking.

9. NorthernBornRebel

So if the gas goes down a tube on top of the barrel, does that mean the gas get's poured in somewhere near the front site? I'm not seeing a hole.....except for a tiny hole on each side with what appears to be a pin inside. do I take the pin out and squirt the gas in there? This might be more trouble than it's worth.

10. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

Try and just plug the holes. :)

It makes the rifle think it's getting fuel, because it's not sucking air.

Works every time!

11. Buddhalux

Buddhalux Hillsboro, Oregon Active Member

If it's an older AR then be sure to use leaded gas. For the newer "green" AR's use unleaded. Higher octane will increase your rate of fire as well. Don't use race gas unless you have an FFL class III license though. Law Enforcement frowns on unlicensed people firing on full auto.

12. The Duck

The Duck Oregon Active Member

I have no idea if this guy is real or not, but if he is honestly asking a question and follows some of this threads "stupid" advise and ends up hurting or killing himself, the writer of the post might be held liable for damages due to advising in said direction.

Now if you are serious, order a book, DVD, take a class or offer to go to the range with someone you trust or maybe even from this site. It is not difficult to understand that someone does not know how to operate a new weapon, it just so happen that he is asking a pretty funny question that I have NEVER heard before...

I just sold a Beretta 92FS to a person last night and spent over an hour with him, showing him how to operate the weapon, safe, fire and handle it... It was his first handgun and I did not want him to leave my home without me having a clear conscious that he could do so safetly... (I also worded the Bill of Sale to cover myself)

13. Mark-60

Mark-60 Someplace near Hillsboro Active Member

I have a Colt and it runs on Diesel.

-Mark.

14. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

Did you use bio-diesel last time we were out? Thought it smelled like french fries.....

15. Mark-60

I did. You have a good nose.

I'm all about the enviroment stuff thingy...

-Mark.

16. Mark-60

This one is running lean...

196589531_suJU3-L.jpg

This one is running waaaay rich...

197317353_ZpWAp-L.jpg

-Mark.

17. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

nice pics. Maybe I need to start adding a little more octane boost, so I can do that at night. was that photoshop?

18. Unka-Boo

Ya, I was having a heck of a time that day.....the AR needed to go up like 4 jet sizes to run right, the HK still needs some work....didn't have a small enough #drill after I welded up the jet....and the timing was a bit off....

19. Unka-Boo

No photochop involved.....

20. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

sometimes a carb change in the feild is needed depending on the altitude. You can also swap gears to change your rounds per second