JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Please choose one or the other.

• Browning Buckmark Standard URX

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Ruger Mk. IV 6"

Votes: 26 63.4%

• Total voters
I have owned a couple of Rugers and the Buckmark and I still have the Buckmark. It's easier to clean and the grips are more comfortable. I also thought the Buckmark was marginally more accurate.

I did never modify any of my 22 pistols all of them were bone stock.

Which would you rather shoot and why?

Personally, I grew up shooting a Ruger Mk.1 and I never did like it.
It's too light in the front end and has always been difficult holding a steady aim.

How about you?
No question the buck mark for me. Ruger is built well, attractive, accurate, and reliable, but also extremely boring for me. My mark iii 6" barrel I shot 2 mags worth and never shot it again in the next 10 years. Great gun, but boring Imo.

Similar thing happened to me last couple days with cars. Rented a new car that had about 500 miles on it. Very reliable car and brand, probably $32k-ish I would guess? Very well built in terms of reliability. But unbelievably boring to drive. Nothing in the driving experience, interior comfort, materials, fit and finish, etc is interesting or pleasing at all. Honestly I didn't want to even drive it to the grocery store. Ended up buying a different brand used car at 1/3 the price and that thing is a blast to drive, nice styling, and a great place to be interior-wise. So depends on personal taste and preferences. Like many on here say, try out many guns and see which one fits you and which one you like. My tastes may be the opposite of someone else's and there's nothing wrong with that. Dang though, I'm returning that rental car tomorrow first thing, I have it rented for the week but I would never want to drive it so there is no point in keeping it for the week.

Last Edited:
Too accurate?
I don't really know why I found it so boring. Combo of a lot of things I think, including balance, grip angle, action?, not sure.

I know that when I was young one of the first pistols I ever shot was a ruger mark 1 (or maybe mark ii I don't know). Honestly I felt exactly the same about it at that time (other than it was fun to feel the gun in the hand for any kid).

I don't really know why I found it so boring. Combo of a lot of things I think, including balance, grip angle, action?, not sure.

I know that when I was young one of the first pistols I ever shot was a ruger mark 1 (or maybe mark ii I don't know). Honestly I felt exactly the same about it at that time (other than it was fun to feel the gun in the hand for any kid).
I had a Mk4 Hunter, and it was boringly accurate. I could ring 6" steel at about 60 yards 10 for 10 when I was doing my part. I replaced it with a Volquartsen.

Yup. Had both. I do prefer the Ruger. Owned several over the years. The bull barrel does tighten up groups. Less shake.
My old high standard was good too, but they are long gone. the only one I have left is a PPK/S in stainless. Haven't shot it yet though. Heavy little sucker so I believe my groups shouldn't wander too much.

Well, got a new to me Ruger. So I thought I would try this.
20221008_175215.jpg 20221008_175030.jpg
And the winner is
20221008_174917.jpg
Guess I need to dig some other Rugers out of the safe, and give this another try.
Maybe some different ammo.
10 shots, 30 feet, off rest.

Well, got a new to me Ruger. So I thought I would try this.
View attachment 1289403View attachment 1289404
And the winner is
View attachment 1289406
Guess I need to dig some other Rugers out of the safe, and give this another try.
Maybe some different ammo.
10 shots, 30 feet, off rest.
Good test! Those are the results I would have predicted based only on reputation for the 41, not personal experience; but personal experience with the other 2. Would be really cool to do those 3 along with a colt woodsman and a high standard (not sport king or that other budget version -cant recall it's name at the moment).

Last Edited:
I can only compare the Buckmark to a MKIV 22/45 and the Buckmark slightly wins the shooting contest. But i prefer the MKIV overall due to the ease of takedown.

I have a couple of High Standards, a few more S&W and several more Rugers.
So when I can find the time, I will continue the test.

I love my Mark IV 22/45 Lite. However, I picked up a S&W Victory in a trade last year and it quickly became my favorite .22 pistol. Possibly because it is heavier and easier to hold steady. I don't really have any experience with the Buckmark. I handled one at a yard sale back when Oregon was a free state. The trigger on that particular gun wasn't impressive, so I passed on the deal. I think those Buckmarks in the rifle configuration look pretty cool, but I can't just go buying everything that looks cool, or I would starve to death.

Of all the hand guns I own, and have owned, .22 auto's are second in line for guns that catch my eye when I am in a shop. All mine now are Ruger but, every time I am in a shop the 1911's and the .22's, of virtually all makes seem to start calling me to fondle them. I resist as too often that fondling seems to turn into a long term relationship when they follow me home. :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top