JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Please choose one or the other.

• Browning Buckmark Standard URX

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Ruger Mk. IV 6"

Votes: 26 63.4%

• Total voters
Reactions
Which would you rather shoot and why?

Personally, I grew up shooting a Ruger Mk.1 and I never did like it.
It's too light in the front end and has always been difficult holding a steady aim.

How about you?

Never shot the Browning. I think a bull barrel would resolve your issue with weight distribution on the Mark i. I'm a damn fool for the River MK series of pistols.:)

image.jpg

I have these two. Not certain there is a real difference, and they are both exceptional pistols.
Stunningly accurate too.
Full disclosure, I also have a MkIII, and a MkII 22/45.....not a preference thing, it just worked out that way...
Joe

Screenshot_20211205-230217_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211205-230627_Gallery.jpg

My preference is the buckmark and it's because of the grip angle. I grew up shooting revolvers and the grip angle is important to my accuracy same reason I don't shoot glocks well.

I have had both. They both shoot good and function well. The Ruger is better for two main reasons. Buckmark firing pins can sometimes hit the breach face and are one of the few modern rim fires that should not be dry fired. Dry firing is a important training technique if you plan to shoot 22 pistol matches or train new shooters. I have seen damaged breech faces on used Buckmarks.

The other reason is disassembly. The Buckmark is not designed to be disassembled. Yes you can remove the screw but it is highly not recommended. Neither pistol needs to be disassembled for routine cleaning. However, they should have an infrequent thorough cleaning and sometimes require it when starting to malfunction.

There is a minor reason to consider the Ruger. Aftermarket upgrades and parts are much more available for the Ruger.

There is one drawback to the Ruger, cost. They have always been more than the Buckmark.

The grip angle was mentioned. I shot 1911's competitively. I avoided the Glock because the grip angle. I eventually transitioned to a Glock for mag capacity. It took a short time to adjust. I prefer the Glock grip angle slightly because it aligns the bore closer to inline with the arm bones, tensions the wrist more and helps to prevent dipping the muzzle in anticipation of recoil. Either angle works and I still shoot both well. For a 22 target pistol I would go with the Ruger standard grip angle.

I wish the 22/45 was on the list. Perfect grip angle for me. The Buckmark is a great pistol no doubt, so is the MKIV, but given a choice the 22/45 wins every time. So, if forced to vote on this, I'll abstain.

That was my impression of the original 4-3/4" Ruger. Better is the 5-1/2" bull barrel.
The Browning is well proved, but I never had one. Looks the part.
Some new Rugers look like Han Solo's pistol.
What I bought was 1979 High Standard Victor. $205.

I have had both. They both shoot good and function well. The Ruger is better for two main reasons. Buckmark firing pins can sometimes hit the breach face and are one of the few modern rim fires that should not be dry fired. Dry firing is a important training technique if you plan to shoot 22 pistol matches or train new shooters. I have seen damaged breech faces on used Buckmarks.

The other reason is disassembly. The Buckmark is not designed to be disassembled. Yes you can remove the screw but it is highly not recommended. Neither pistol needs to be disassembled for routine cleaning. However, they should have an infrequent thorough cleaning and sometimes require it when starting to malfunction.

There is a minor reason to consider the Ruger. Aftermarket upgrades and parts are much more available for the Ruger.

There is one drawback to the Ruger, cost. They have always been more than the Buckmark.

The grip angle was mentioned. I shot 1911's competitively. I avoided the Glock because the grip angle. I eventually transitioned to a Glock for mag capacity. It took a short time to adjust. I prefer the Glock grip angle slightly because it aligns the bore closer to inline with the arm bones, tensions the wrist more and helps to prevent dipping the muzzle in anticipation of recoil. Either angle works and I still shoot both well. For a 22 target pistol I would go with the Ruger standard grip angle.
Grip angle on the Ruger is based on the Luger pistole which was always considered a natural pointer, because Luger actually did a little research into that and found that angle was the best natural fit to one's hand.
As for mounting a bull barrel on the Ruger that is an option, however I was simply looking at a pure comparison of the base models for both makes, so the Ruger got the regular long barrel.
Side note: I recently searched for a bull barrel for my dad's Mk.1 and those parts are no longer available, if they ever were.

I grew up with a Ruger Standard (MK1 with short thin barrel - still have it and it's a tack driver)

Nothing I've shot is a nice or fun as my MK3 Hunter with upgraded internals (trigger etc).

If my MK1 is a tack driver then my MK3 shoots lazers.

I could be wrong but I believe there are many more after market options for the Ruger so that would be my choice.

Also of you don't like the grip angle then the also have the 22/45 series (although I'm jot a fan, I like the original ones).

7CE5DCBE-D82E-4626-80FA-7D14EC74E6BF.jpeg

I like 'em both.
Having shot both models , both seem to handle and shoot well for me.
With that said....
Owning one or the other may make for a different opinion.

Joe13 , makes a good point about more after market options for the Ruger series of pistols.
Which could play a role in what someone likes better.
Andy

Last Edited:
For ME.....
There is always perhaps.....
A bit of compromise involved when I'm choosing.

Budget.....how much will it cost me?
What will I be using it for?
How well.....will it fulfill the task and purpose that I've intended for it?
How much do I care?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR