JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not sure on the Washington thing, but for a time, I was a Hawaii resident with an annual long gun permit. I bought a CZ 455 in Oregon, then the FFL calls me up asking for my Hawaii permit, "it's in my safe in Hawaii". Long story short, I had to return the gun back to the store, the store have me a full refund.
I haven't read the Hawaii law but if it requires Hawaii residents to have a permit regardless of where they receive the firearm that might explain the FFL's request. Washington could have written the law to require WA residents to get the enhanced background checks regardless of what State they received the firearm in but instead they chose to only require it for transfers conducted in WA State.

Last Edited:
I haven't read the Hawaii law but if it requires Hawaii residents to have a permit regardless of where they receive the firearm that might explain the FFL's request. Washington could have written the law to require WA residents to get the enhanced background checks regardless of what State they received the firearm in but instead they chose to only require it for transfers conducted in WA State.
It does, I was most surprised at how Hawaii law could apply in Oregon. Fun times.

Just need a quick clarification. Can I ( an Oregon resident) sell a semi-auto rifle to a Washington resident? And if so, is it better to have that person come to Oregon or me going into Washington? Thanks in advance!
Have the buyer come to oregon and do a private transfer. No need to involve non-necessary gov. intrusion, especially so if the firearm isnt paperwd to you. If its papered to you, use an FFL to protect yourself.

Maybe this will help:

RCW 9.41.122

Out-of-state purchasing.

Residents of Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in a state other than Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such purchase is made: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That when any part of the transaction takes place in Washington , including, but not limited to, internet sales, such residents are subject to the procedures and background checks required by this chapter.

Maybe this will help:

RCW 9.41.122

Out-of-state purchasing.

Residents of Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in a state other than Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such purchase is made: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That when any part of the transaction takes place in Washington , including, but not limited to, internet sales, such residents are subject to the procedures and background checks required by this chapter.

RCW 9.41.124

Purchasing of rifles and shotguns by nonresidents.

Residents of a state other than Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns, except those firearms defined as semiautomatic assault rifles, in Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such persons reside: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are subject to the procedures and background checks required by this chapter.

Maybe this will help:

RCW 9.41.122

Out-of-state purchasing.

Please note this is the same WA regulation that existed prior to I-1639.

RCW 9.41.124

Purchasing of rifles and shotguns by nonresidents.

Residents of a state other than Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns, except those firearms defined as semiautomatic assault rifles, in Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such persons reside: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are subject to the procedures and background checks required by this chapter.
Please note that this WA regulation was amended after I-1639 was passed.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top