Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Quick cautionary talel.......

Discussion in 'Rifle Classifieds' started by austinportland, Oct 21, 2012.

1. austinportland

austinportland Portland Active Member

I just completed a FTF that blew my mind. I met a gentleman in the K-mart parking lot to trade a rifle for a shotgun. When the man handed me the shotgun for inspection, I preformed a safety check. As I pulled the bolt back from full battery position what to my surprise a green shell came popping out. The man had handed me a fully loaded, safety off shotgun. All of this happened in a busy parking lot. When I got home I further inspected the ammo that was in the shotgun. The gun was loaded with 3" OO buckshot. The big kicker, this semi auto is a 2 3/4 only gun.

Pleas by careful when doing FTF deals in public, had he handed this loaded weapon to someone less careful than my self we could have been hearing this story on the nightly news.
    As gun owners we need to safeguard our rights by always handling guns responsibly. This is the kind of thing that the liberal media would love to sensationalize and poke in the eye of gun owners everywhere.

Austin-

2. BroncoFan

BroncoFan Eastern Oregon Well-Known Member

The four rules are there for a reason and you followed them. Kudos. Hope you took a close look at the shotty if he may have tried running 3" shells through it.

3. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

First thing I always do when I bring a gun is show clear to the buyer/trader

ocarolan, lamrith, taroman and 5 others like this.
  4. lamrith

lamrith tacoma Active Member

I go one step further after I check it clear myself I lock the action open before handing it to anyone.

5. BigNickShooting

BigNickShooting Centralia, WA Active Member

You did the right thing: Always treat a weapon as loaded (even when it's not). Always perform a safety check before you hand it to somebody else ... I got a buddy that did something stupid like that .. .We went hunting for rabbits and/or coyotes in Eastern Oregon (I used to live in Portland). When we came back to the motor home, I saw he had his shotgun just sitting on a wall. Knowing that he is not always Mr. Careful, I asked him if he unloaded his rifle ... He took it, and thank God he put the barrel downward and he simply pull the trigger before I had a chance to say NO to him. The shottie went off (with 00 buck) and made a big hole in the motorhome's floor. Imagine his surprise. Thank God there were no fuel lines or brake lines in the area where he shot and thank God he didn't aim to one of us. He had to pay to fix the floor, which was pretty expensive ... He learned his lessons now ...

6. austinportland

austinportland Portland Active Member

My apologies, the individual with whom I was dealing PM me, and pointed out to me that the shotgun does indeed accept 3" shells. My fault for spouting off without double checking my facts.

Austin-

7. HBIII

HBIII Wilsonville Active Member

Fair enough, but said individual still deserves a negative trade rating for putting you, him, and John Q. Public in jeopardy. Universally stupid! :nono:

taroman, Trlsmn, PDXWolf and 3 others like this.
  8. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Great post!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.