JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just wanted to see what type of ammo my Savage 64 liked best and see what type of groups I could get in a improvised firing position.
Test Setup.
Targets set at 50 ft rifle zeroed at 50 yards.
Firing position
Kneeling position using a chair back as a rest.
Ammo tested
Remington Golden Bullet
Federal Bulk
CCI mini-mag HP
CCI velociter
CCI stinger

First groups of 5 rounds on each target was unimpressive. I was running 5 rounds of each type of ammo on each target after eachother. Seemed like I was getting alot of stray rounds.

Then I ran 15 rds of each type of ammo thru the rifle before putting 5 rounds on target and the groups seemed to tighten up.

Quick round up

CCI HP mini-mag rounds best
Remington golden bullets where best for bulk ammo..
CCI velociters grouped quite well but a heavy round, and if you don't zero for them specifically you will drop alot after 40 yrds

Conclusion

I am going to stock bulk Golden bullet and buy bricks of CCI mini-Mag for the range.

Left target is 15 rds then shoot at target. right target is 5 rds then switch ammo. You will notice that there is a difference if you let your rifle get used to the ammo for a few rounds.. ??? Got me.
Shots where taken semi rapid fire one round every 3 seconds or so.

Since I was not shooting on a rest I decided to make this somewhat tactical. Full 10 rd mag gone within 30 seconds max.

And just so you you don't think I cant shoot this is 50 yards aiming NON rapid fire after the test!

Wow, Golden Bullets performed well? I always thought they were shiny turds. I own 4 .22s and non of them like the GBs. All the Remington rimfire stuff that I have put through a chrono had inconsistent velocities.

I prefer Federal Bulk Packs for my plinking stuff, but the CCI Mini Mags and Green Tags seem to shoot the best for me.

You should also try the federal 500 packs. I think they are either called champion or target. I think that it has outperformed any other bulk packs, idk what they difference is between that pack and the 550 round value packs. I've had decent experience with the rem thunderbolts, but as far as best ammo for the money, nothing beats the cci mini-mag.

I have had no luck with remington .22lr. In my GSG-5, walther p22 and ciener conversion for my AR has Fail To Fires... about 1 out of 10. And its not like the bolt isn't hitting it. There is a good rimfire mark on the remington and it is just not going off in ANY of the three guns. never will i use that remington .22lr crap. I fired over 500 rounds of CCI mini mags through all those guns without a SINGLE FTF!

I have a Colt Ace conversion for my .45 frame, and it has liked CCI standard velocity just fine, coming to think of it, that's the only ammo I've ever used in it.

The instructions (someplace) advised standard velocity and that's the only brand that offers standard, as far as I know.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top