JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another quick access gun storage option:
1586627508572.png
They come in full size and pistol size and can be opened by RFID or smart phone. If you are a woodworker would be a nice project.

You should consider keeping your AR "cruiser" or "rack" ready. (AKA "aircraft safe" if your flying into an LZ... LOL)

Empty chamber, hammer forward, safety off, loaded mag seated in the mag-well. Über safe, and ready to go with a quick/easy rack of the charging handle using only gross motor skills.

This is why birth control is so important! ;):D
I have thought about that, however my wife says that she doesn't like me racking the charging handle because it's too loud. I tell if you think that's too loud, wait until someone breaks in. I'm saving for a suppressor to help with that lol. But I also try not to put the same round in the gun after it has been ejected a handful of times. And with as often as my wife has me check the house because she heard something, I would go through a lot of ammo.

I have thought about that, however my wife says that she doesn't like me racking the charging handle because it's too loud. I tell if you think that's too loud, wait until someone breaks in. I'm saving for a suppressor to help with that lol. But I also try not to put the same round in the gun after it has been ejected a handful of times. And with as often as my wife has me check the house because she heard something, I would go through a lot of ammo.

I keep my AR cruiser ready and have the chamber empty. I have some Speer JSP in my magazine and have chambered a round when the entry door to the garage popped open during a wind storm. I have few magazines loaded with JSP.

I suppose if you are good shot that you can load a .223 or 5.56mm FMJ round first, hit the BG and then use your HD rounds after that. I never load the same round either and just throw in my range bag and shoot them up in my next trip to the range.

We do have an alarm and it goes off instantly when a perimeter sensor is triggered when the alarm is set in home mode.

I picked up one of these for the bedroom. I called stackon and they sent me a fingerpint lock when I registered it. I like the 3 second access. That includes twisting the handle and picking it up.

Stack-On Gun Cabinet for rifles with a key lock.

Each cabinet comes with 2 keys. I do not know if they come with more than 2 keys now since ours are a bit older.

We PREFER keys and how we have our home set up with the cabinets. Our ideas may not always agree with other people. NO problem.

We don't own thousands of dollars worth of firearms now. My MT husband used to own far more firearms. I owned about 15 or so in the past, back east. I added some here in MT.

I mainly shoot one as in 1 rifle when I do go to the range.

We are very happy with our Stack-On Cabinets with key locks.

We chose to NOT have a large, heavy safe and since we have far LESS firearms now... it works for us!

(We took the top shelves out of our cabinets too.)

I had one cabinet for the brand new built apartment that I lived in before I built this house when I came down from the Sapphire Mountains. We really did not need a second cabinet but we got one anyway after I built this house.

Will your rifle fit into one of those lockable key tool boxes (They have them for pick up trucks.) that you can keep on your side of the bed?

I figure if a person or a gang of them want to break into a LOCKED home and if they really want to steal from you - they will do it. It may take them longer to steal from you with layers of protection but they will do it especially if you are not home to save yourself, your loved ones and your stuff INSIDE of the home. If you have a good guard dog - that would work but not all people have well trained German Shepherd dogs and what if the bad guy shot your dog or dogs?!

Plus some thieves out here have broken into remote properties, not just in town homes, and they destroyed the OUTSIDE security lights, security cameras, alarm deals, some of those security items got stolen not just shot up/destroyed, they hooked up a safe and YANKED IT OUT of a home, and to top it off - they vandalized the house just to be a YOU KNOW WHAT even after they stole all kinds of stuff not just some big, heavy safe. This happened to several people out here and it is not just one criminal act.

Old Lady Cate
Typos and added more!

Last Edited:
Maybe someone mentioned this already but what about hidden panel (In closet or under bed or on top of armoire or other location) instead of safe. Then you just have to make a kid safe but quickly accessible way to release or access the panel.

Or secured to the backside of a locked door such as basement door. or in a locked room. Some people have certain rooms or areas that is simply not accessible when kids are over. If only u have the key (or code I suppose) to that panel or room it's virtually impossible for any kid to access, but you can access quickly any time u need to. Or u could use a combo such as fingerprint safe for handgun until u get to area with rifle. Just throwing out ideas.

Quick access is critical imo. Any gun locks etc can be a huge hindrance. A home break in example:l for reference on how fast u need to be:

Yes I need to buy a movement lock for quick access. I also need to buy a puck lock but will store my AR in my gun safe when I go out.

I got that 1500iD movement lock. It show the initial unlock code and the then you must reset it. Be careful since if you forget the code you must take apart the lock in rest the movement. There are YouTube videos you can watch.

710762F8-120D-48F4-B949-5FE75AD3A155.jpeg
9557B84B-7C04-41A5-9F1D-D954720F7963.jpeg

The thing I don't like is the spring has an internal spring and so you must be careful to press twice the movement lock to clear the movement mechanism before moving to the movement to unlock. The internal spring in the AR lock is difficult to pull out. It might be because I have not mounted it yet.

Last Edited:
For kids that young, out of sight is out of mind. Whatever method accomplishes this would likely suffice. I'd personally just hang it on the wall like a trophy buck and put some kind of oversized picture over it. If you left it un chambered, and uncocked, no toddler would overcome the concealment, and the procedure required to fire. Then all that is needed to access it is rip the picture off the wall, rack CH and repel borders. I've never been a fan of safes personally beyond (hopefully) keeping the stray burglar from being able to easily grab and go.

For kids that young, out of sight is out of mind. Whatever method accomplishes this would likely suffice. I'd personally just hang it on the wall like a trophy buck and put some kind of oversized picture over it. If you left it un chambered, and uncocked, no toddler would overcome the concealment, and the procedure required to fire. Then all that is needed to access it is rip the picture off the wall, rack CH and repel borders. I've never been a fan of safes personally beyond (hopefully) keeping the stray burglar from being able to easily grab and go.

For the ARMa15 lock you have to leave the dust cover open and you also need to push the magazine release to actually take your AR out of the mount.

You then need to put the magazine in you AR but since the bolt is locked back already you just need to insert the magazine and press the bolt release.

68080F60-BDCE-45E4-93CA-61AF12A7A480.jpeg 2FC172B5-8DEB-41EE-873D-375401DA8BF0.jpeg

Last Edited:
For the ARMa15 lock you have to leave the dust cover open and you also need to push the magazine release to actually take your AR out of the mount.

You then need to put the magazine in you AR but since the bolt is locked back already you just need to insert the magazine and press the bolt release.

View attachment 728515View attachment 728516

Neat, I grew up with a rifle mounted on a wall with just a few screws and a piece of plywood cut to serve as a base.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top