JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was recently storing some rice. I heat sealed my bags and threw in a 2,000 cc absorber. This is for a 5 gallon bucket which research indicated was the right amount. I checked for leaks and didn't find anything but there is still some air in the bag. I had checked the 02 absorbers to make sure they were could. Should the bags be similiar to vacuum sealed bags or is it typical to have a little air in the bag? Any thoughts on whay might be happening?

My vacuum packer has a nifty little rubber hose adapter that is used for the plastic storage canisters.
Seal the Mylar except for a little space at the end, insert the hose,turn on the machine and it does a great job of removing most of the air trapped inside.
Quickly remove the hose and finish sealing.

I have a question about them also. They come vacuum packed. Will they go bad if they are stored in a regular ziplock until they are used? I have a bag of 20 and only have used 8 of them.

im not sure about mylar, but i vaccum seal rice w/o o2 absaorbers and have no issues with it after 1 1/2 yrs. problems ive found is when the bags dont seal or get a hole in them. those need to be used first and rotate accordingly.

i have sealed many, many mylars and have had a few failures. i rarely found the failure spot. some i have resealed later with the next batch of 02s i got and they sealed and sucked down fine the ones that didn't work a second time must have had pinholes i couldn't see.

Angie 02's will not last in a ziplock they will let 02 leak in even thru the plastic over time. i have stored some in an old style mason jar with the snap down glass lid and rubber seal but they were weak when i tried to use them.

when i am filling mylars i fill them all first then i throw in the 02s and seal quickly. then i go back and put a second seal on them.i often throw extra 02s in each bag they are some what cheap and i hate having to go back and redo things.

i buy 02s and small bags from LDS. when buying bags ask the seller how thick they are and if they ship them laying flat or folded. try to avoid folded bags.
I am no expert but i hope this is helpful to you guys

If I do not use all of them at once I force all of the air out the bagthey came in and heat seal, I general finish using the within a week or so, it is no big deal, but I have a vacuum selaer along with a mylar heat sealer. I have some re-vacuum sealed in the bag they came in and used them a year later and they worked fine.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top