JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After much research and considering a number of manufacturers and custom building, I've settled on a DPMS Recon. Although discussion about my selection can take us deep into the woods, I'd like to avoid that for the time being. But, being new to the world of AR-15s, I have some questions (some may be silly, stupid and may fall into the category of "if you don't know, why are you getting and AR-15?"). Be that as it may, here goes:

1. Will any standard AR-15 magazine work with the DPMS AR?
2. If other mags will work, what are the "good" ones and what are the "bad" ones
3. Are the mags for .223 and 5.56 different or the same?
4. Is the DPMS capable of the same mods as a standard AR-15?

That's a good place to start, anyway. Thanks!

1) Yes, in .223 / 5.56
2) Anyone with ammo in it is good, an empty one is bad...
3) Same either way
4) DPMS is a standard AR...

Note: When you get one, have someone who knows the platform go over it with you or at least You-Tube it! (Please)

After much research and considering a number of manufacturers and custom building, I've settled on a DPMS Recon. Although discussion about my selection can take us deep into the woods, I'd like to avoid that for the time being. But, being new to the world of AR-15s, I have some questions (some may be silly, stupid and may fall into the category of "if you don't know, why are you getting and AR-15?"). Be that as it may, here goes:

1. Will any standard AR-15 magazine work with the DPMS AR?
Yes, USGI type are probably the most dependable (NHMTG or D&H)
For a polymer mag Pmags and Lancer are very popular.
Avoid ANYTHING Tapco for an AR

2. If other mags will work, what are the "good" ones and what are the "bad" ones
See above
3. Are the mags for .223 and 5.56 different or the same?
Same.
Side note: Civilian .223 ammo is loaded to lower pressures than full power 5.56 ammo. Sometimes weak .223 ammo will not cycle well in some ARs.

4. Is the DPMS capable of the same mods as a standard AR-15?
Yes.
But...for similar money you may be able to get a higher grade weapon.
If you want to buy off the shelf, check with Kurt's in Milwaukie and tell him your budget.

That's a good place to start, anyway. Thanks!

See underlined text.

Luckily the vast majority of ARs (including DPMS) are build to mil-spec dimensions so any AR mag will work. IMO the best AR mags for price/performance are USGI like D&H. Magpul pmags are also very good but tend to carry a heavier price tag. Copes is having a sale on 10 packs currently for about $9 a pop
<broken link removed>

I have had experience with 3 DPMS lowers and a variety of mags. No issues to speak of. I have most experience with mil spec aluminum mags but also have had good luck with magpul and iMag.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top