JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I intend to join TCGC soon for short range target shooting, but I came across some practical rifle TCGC videos on youtube today and man do they look like a lot of fun. So I have a few questions to the club members and those who actually do practical rifle shooting:
1. Do I need the 'action range certification classes' in order to participate in the practical rifle shooting/competition?
2. What calibers of ammo/rifles are typically used for practical rifle?
3. How do you train for practical rifle (sniper) competitions? Is there a course/range in TCGC where you can train and go through the same shooting conditions as the competitions or do you do train for short/long range rifle shooting and use these skills in the competitions?

1. No
2. Most anything up to and including .30 cal- most folks shoot ARs or AKs-no steel core ammo
3. First, you need to set up a rifle to consistently shoot well at 100 yds-for regular PR you should train to hit a 6" paper plate....for the sniper match you should train to hit a 2" or 3" round target. Then youll need to know your bullet drops/DOPE for 50 yds out to 600 yds. I use a 3x ACOG or iron sights for PR and a21x for the sniper match. I use an AR for PR and a bolt gun for the sniper match. You should also practice shooting the above targets from standing, kneeling, sitting and prone positions.

DOPE= data on previous engagements

I found the people at the practical rifle matches to be very friendly and helpful. There is little of the "king of the hill" attitude I have found at some other shooting competitions.

Range officers are VERY strict, and for good reason. People who are not careful with loaded high power rifles can be extremely dangerous. It is required that everyone knows how to control the muzzle of their weapon, and knows how to move safely with the weapon. It isn't that the range officers are "out to get" anyone, they just want to insure that the matches stay safe so that matches can continue. This group of people has a fabulous safety record, and this is because of the way they enforce safety.

I do recommend doing the Action Range Cert class once you become a member. You will have to if you want to use the range unsupervised after you become a member. Its a good class and if you go and do the PR match, you can get your range cert that much quicker.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top