JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wife's out if town on buisness so I won't be leaving till Monday AM to head out to the woods.

I like the woods but coming home Monday PM with meat would be even better:)

A lot of that is redundant. Three types of fire starters is a little much. All that survival stuff is a bit much too.

Worst case scenario is injury.

Best case scenario is getting lost. Even if your in the woods on your own for a day or two, you likely still know how to get to your car. If you do things right and give your wife or friends a plan with mapped areas and days. They will know something is up if you don't return in a given time.

I've sipped water from creeks in the PNW and have not gotten sick. I say this because even if you were to get sick, you'd likely be safe before it happens.

I too like the idea of testing myself in nature with all the cool survival goodies available out there. Realistically speaking, your plan is already very safe, if your not venturing out 10+ miles into the bush, I'd say a lot of that stuff is unneeded weight.

Then again, being your first time. You'll likely learn on your own too.

I know I had a good learning curve coming up here from the dry lands of Nevada. What do you mean I don't need to pack a crap load of water with me...?

Joe, looking over the list again I agree with Reno911... there is still a lot of stuff you probably wont ever need. Its good you got your pack weight down considerably, but I bet you can get it under 20... every pound saved is an extra mile of energy at the end of the day...

here is my edits. What I would remove in red, comments in blue... Im guessing the items in red will shave off about 5lbs.

-Pack (Badlands Super Day Pack)<-- nice pack

Compass
4" knife
Binoculars
Climbing beener
Axe

6'x8' lightweight Tarp
@@9mm compact handgun

-Mini Pack on Belt
Individual wet wipes
Space Pen
Travel pack of Kleenex tissue <you should already be carrying half roll of TP
Chap Stick
Orange Flagging Tape
ID
Tags n Permits
Asthma Inhaler
Small sharpening stone (fine grit diamond) <your knife should be sharpened before the trip. A good edge on a quality blade will last thru one field dress session.
Small Leather strop/strip (no compound)
Truck Key <place a hide-a-key on your vehicle

-Right side Pocket
Empty for:
gloves
neck gator
stocking cap
@@disposable water bottle

-Left side Pocket
Small Bone Saw 6" <Ive never had to saw bone field dressing and quartering, that includes elk. You should be able to find the hip socket with your blade slice the flesh around it then bend it back and pop it out.
Work gloves
@@10 Round Rifle Mag <I carry about 5 more rounds loosely in a pack pocket. Yes, you'd have to reload manually but if you need more than 5rds already in the rifle then you should hit the range more. (also, in Oregon if your rifle is semi auto its illegal to hunt with a mag that can hold more than 5rds... if I had a semi-auto hunting rifle I might consider an extra 5rd mag)

-Back bottom Pocket
2x 60' para cord

-Pack Small Pocket
Travel Size Gold Bond Powder
Neckerchief
@@Ear Plugs

@@Leatherman
@@Mini-Mag Light <replace with hands free headlamp, you wont go back. Way brighter than a mini mag...
@@Snacks

-Pack Medium Pocket
GMU Map in Ziplock
2-way Radio <this is probably something you will never use hunting solo. Its good to have if your stuck AND you told someone where your going AND the channel you use. I would put this in the bottom of the pack and save pocket space....
Radio Accessories (clips, ear bud, laminated card with predetermined channels) <stick with one channel, memorize it.
Compressed Space Blanket <I usually put this with the emergency stuff, bottom of pack. Dont forget to buy a new one every few years....
--TP Kit
--Gun Care Ziplock:
electrical tape
2 balloons
Rem Oil Wipes

lens cleaner wipes
@@Spare AAA batteries x3 <keep these in your emergency kit at bottom of pack. Ideally, you will never use these. you should only carry extra batteries for the gmrs radio and headlamp, gps device if you use that.
there really isnt anything you should need for gun care, at most maybe one of those flexible cleaning rods in case you slip/fall and the muzzle core samples the ground

-Pack large Pocket
Empty Space for Shedded Coats etc
Stainless cup/bowl
Bandana (to keep the canteen and cup from rattling + straining murky water) <your lifestraw will strain murkey water crystal clear.

Stainless Canteen (wide mouth, cap completely removes) <plastic water bottles weigh almost nothing empty...
Sharpening Steel (fine grit diamond)
Life straw
Few Ziplock bags of different sizes
Extra pair of Socks
@@Couple disposable water bottles

--Game kit (ziplock)
Game bags <maybe for elk, skin the deer in camp.
Travel size hand sanitizer
pair of Rubber gloves <1 pair is enough
@@Ground Black Pepper <?

--Fire kit (ziplock)
Bic
Storm proof matches in waterproof container
Pill container full of dryer lint
Fero rod
Char tin full of charred cloth
< have you ever practiced with a fero rod? It sucks and likely will never work in the rain. Honestly, a fire is way way down the list of things in any survival situation.

--Food kit (ziplock)
Tea bags (no coffee for me)
Sugar
Salt (for electrolytes)
Salt, onion powder, garlic powder
@@Coconut Oil
@@Honey
<I don't really want to critique anyones food list. Any food is good out there but im curious about the practicality of this list... how do you make tea without a cup and stove? What are the spices for? As for salt, consider most packaged snacks already have tones of salt and sugar in them. I usually pack a sandwich and a few candy bars. I keep a can of kippered snacks at the bottom of my pack in case I'm stuck somewhere and out of food. I sometimes carry a small compact Thermos with coffee for watching clear cuts as the sun comes up but that's a luxury item and you could do the same with tea hot or cold.

--bubblegum Went Wrong Son kit (ziplock)
Zip ties <you already have paracord
Survival Priorities tiny guide <read this at home.
Pack of snelled hooks
Signal, face mirror <some compasses come with a mirror

Junk compass & thermometer
Nasty loud signal whistle (I carry ear plugs to sight in my rifle Just In Case & IF I ever need to use this whistle)
Para cord spring loaded loop holder <learn how to tie a taught line hitch
Big Bandana
@@Water Purification Tabs <you have a life straw filter already
@@Ear Buds
@@iPod
<listening to music decreases your chance for success...

--First Aid Kit
Few empty pockets for JIC
Large Thick Rain Poncho < you already have a space blanket and presumably your main jacket is waterproof, it should be
Duck Tape wrapped around the poncho plastic bag (maybe 10') <wrap around a pencil end about 1" dia then break off the extra end and file smooth.
Mole Skin <duct tape
Gauss wrap
Anti-Itch Gel (I catch poison oak, sumac or whatever from 6' away and am allergic so even though its a few extra ounces and a rarity I'll need it - it's worth it to me)
Foam ear plugs
Transpore 3M Tape (small roll)
Sports tape (1" and roll almost gone)
Nail clippers

Individual Neosporin packs
Gauss squares (sterile pads)
Bandaid collection from butterfly to large sterile pads
<a wad of gauze and the duct tape will bandage any cut and scrape.

EDC ON ME:
Truck Key
Digital Wrist Watch
Zippo
Folding Knife
3" Neck Knife
Flashlight
Extra 3 round Mag
Hunter Orange Vest
Hunter Orange Hat w/bill

one more thing... don't remove anything your not comfortable with. All this is an opinion based on individual experience which is different for all, you don't want to be needing something in an emergency that you don't have because of advice on the internet. Travelling ultra light is a discipline, one thing I've done is after a couple hikes or so is remove anything I didn't use. After a while you'll truly only have what you really need, but then room in the pack for a few now and then luxuries (like coffee) or more food for longer hikes.

Hey Joe,

First year I tried the scent killer thing... First, bought No Scent Laundry soap, the Body soap/shampoo and the No Scent hand wipes. Then, made my own Nature Tea.

Boiled up a witches brew concoction in a large pot with Fir branches/needles, mixed with a little Cedar, scrub Oak leafs/branches/moss, even threw in a touch of Holly leafs, and dumped a bit of water into it. Boiled it for around 30 mins, taste tested... not bad at all! Tasted like real nature!

It made a gallon and a quart. So, I laundered all my hunting clothes with no scent, showered in the morning with the soap, use the hand wipes as needed in the field, like after eating or using natures natural restroom facilities and sprayed on the Nature Tea as the final cover up when getting out of the truck.

So how did it do? Don't know. Didn't see anything. That could be a good sign or a bad sign. Good; because it did it's job and made me smell like the natural surroundings. OR... Bad; because it was an awful smell to the deer and they stayed way away from me. Only time will tell!

Along the L1200, South end, only 1 buck taken this morning (didn't hear of any other nearby shots at that end). It was a quarter mile away from me. Small rack 2 point but nice size buck. I helped him drag it down off the hill to the truck. Later I drove up to Silver Star area and didn't see anything but lots of hunters.

Let me know if you'd like to meet up on Monday. I've got that day off and I may be on my own that day.

Nature Brew1.jpg

Nature Brew2.jpg

From Koda: Joe, looking over the list again I agree with Reno911... there is still a lot of stuff you probably wont ever need. Its good you got your pack weight down considerably, but I bet you can get it under 20... every pound saved is an extra mile of energy at the end of the day...

here is my edits. What I would remove in red, comments in blue... Im guessing the items in red will shave off about 5lbs.

-Pack (Badlands Super Day Pack)<-- nice pack --Thanks, I love it and glad I put the money into it, my boots and my rifle.

Compass
4" knife
Binoculars
Climbing beener --It is ultra light, can be used to hang my pack quickly, can be used to lessen the friction if I wanted to hang the deer to dress it or drag it up an incline if it goes down a ravine. I have tried to take it off the list and probably will if I do not use it this first week.
Axe ---I struggled with this one all year… I have large chopper type knives but they weigh about the same as the field axe I have and take more calories to do the same things. Without a saw ( bone saw is off the list ), I would have no way to easily build anything larger then what I could process with the 4" knife I have - crutches, shelter, firewood (mainly gets used to trim branches from trees that get turned into natures potty) but also to build impromptu blinds if I can find a fresh trail to sit on thru out the week. I know it's a few pounds but the boy scout in me screams if I think about not having a chopper or axe. Would change out to a large knife if I was hunting with a partner or possibly leave both because one could go for help.
6'x8' lightweight Tarp
@@9mm compact handgun

-Mini Pack on Belt
Individual wet wipes
Space Pen
Travel pack of Kleenex tissue <you should already be carrying half roll of TP -Its tiny and accessible without having to remove the pack (extra tender in a pinch).
Chap Stick
Orange Flagging Tape --PART of my agreement with my wife to hunt alone for a week is to have it with me and use it if I go off the road/trail - I use a special knot so she would know how to find me & I have got a little turned around following trails thru thick forest before when they start branching out. 4" of bright para cord would work almost as well maybe but I think the tape is lighter.
ID
Tags n Permits
Asthma Inhaler
Small sharpening stone (fine grit diamond) <your knife should be sharpened before the trip. A good edge on a quality blade will last thru one field dress session. --I keep a fairly steep edge on my knives so they cut thru just about anything like warm butter, the down side is that it is easier to nick the edge. A couple passes over the stone and it's back to razor sharp. It is also very light so hard to justify in my mind going without it.
Small Leather strop/strip (no compound) --Smooths out a sharpened edge fast and is 1"x3" so it wouldn't save more then a gram or two
Truck Key <place a hide-a-key on your vehicle --- I had thought about going out 20 yards from my truck and just placing it on top of a branch or something but it's also only a few grams (My "it's only a couple grams" may be part of my issue). I'll find a finding place for it.

-Right side Pocket
Empty for:
gloves
neck gator
stocking cap
@@disposable water bottle

-Left side Pocket
Small Bone Saw 6" <Ive never had to saw bone field dressing and quartering, that includes elk. You should be able to find the hip socket with your blade slice the flesh around it then bend it back and pop it out. ---Talked me out of this one, and no need for it on wood if I keep an axe of large chopper on me. Pretty glad too because it is a space hog even if it isn't all that heavy.
Work gloves
@@10 Round Rifle Mag <I carry about 5 more rounds loosely in a pack pocket. Yes, you'd have to reload manually but if you need more than 5rds already in the rifle then you should hit the range more. (also, in Oregon if your rifle is semi auto its illegal to hunt with a mag that can hold more than 5rds... if I had a semi-auto hunting rifle I might consider an extra 5rd mag) ---WA Bolt gun so I am good there (and a very good shot I tell myself lol). This was the alternative to taking a second Mag for my 9mm CC. I figured 10 rounds of .308 was better then 14 rounds of 9mm and doesn't weigh much more because of the polymer Mag. This is more for my wife's comfort them mine. I grew up in the sticks but she is a city girl and thinks every one of you hillbilly's wants to bend me over a stump or some crazy thing. Seriously though, I would want it if I stumbled into a pot grow or meth lab so It's a chuck of weight for piece of mind. I would probably leave it at camp if I had a partner with me.

-Back bottom Pocket
2x 60' para cord

-Pack Small Pocket
Travel Size Gold Bond Powder --Worth 5 times it's weight in gold if I get a hot spot somewhere. The travel size is tiny.
Neckerchief --Military issue and one of my favorite items. Covers neck, face, tourniquet, arm sling etc.
@@Ear Plugs --I was fighting this one, I'll leave them at camp =).
@@Leatherman
@@Mini-Mag Light <replace with hands free headlamp, you wont go back. Way brighter than a mini mag… --It is one of the newer LED ones and fits in my leatherman sheath. It is fairly bright compared to some of my larger lights. (I will see if I can find a headlamp for a reasonable price and replace my second flashlight that's on me). Two votes for the same Item is reason enough to take notice of it.
@@Snacks

-Pack Medium Pocket
GMU Map in Ziplock
2-way Radio <this is probably something you will never use hunting solo. Its good to have if your stuck AND you told someone where your going AND the channel you use. I would put this in the bottom of the pack and save pocket space…. --This is ANOTHER one of the wife's conditions if I am hunting alone. I do have a very detailed plan that I leave with her every time I leave so it would be for SHTF to find me. (I will narrow the channels down from 6 to the first 2 options). As a side note, this did tell me ahead of time last year before a fairly major storm hit me with the weather forecast Info and that turned out to be very helpful. I would like to drop if for the weight but can't yet.
Radio Accessories (clips, ear bud, laminated card with predetermined channels) <stick with one channel, memorize it. --I'll X out the last few channels on the cards (but it does scan as well).
Compressed Space Blanket <I usually put this with the emergency stuff, bottom of pack. Dont forget to buy a new one every few years…. --Great tip and idea
--TP Kit
--Gun Care Ziplock:
electrical tape --End of a roll so not a lot on there but I use it to cover gun barrels for rain but more for debris. Also could be used in first aid.
2 balloons --Flash supressor so they cover it easier then wrapping it in tape.
Rem Oil Wipes --Almost no weight and they are great if you get soaked right out of the gate. More for rust prevention then to clean it (although I would use them if I dropped my precious into the mud and the action got dirty) I only take 2.
Lens cleaner wipes
@@Spare AAA batteries x3 <keep these in your emergency kit at bottom of pack. Ideally, you will never use these. you should only carry extra batteries for the gmrs radio and headlamp, gps device if you use that.
there really isnt anything you should need for gun care, at most maybe one of those flexible cleaning rods in case you slip/fall and the muzzle core samples the ground
--Yea, these are for the radio. I will try to find a headlamp that uses the same size.

-Pack large Pocket
Empty Space for Shedded Coats etc
Stainless cup/bowl --I'm on a hugely restricted diet so soup and cream of rice type stuff is what I carry for snacks, so this is for that
Bandana (to keep the canteen and cup from rattling + straining murky water) <your lifestraw will strain murkey water crystal clear. --I'm a huge bandana fan, if I keep the cup and Canteen it is a must have for noise. The straining would be for puddles that are heavy with algae or sediment (and it's been so dry I don't expect to find a lot of decent water but there are plenty of little wet spots normally). I've not used the life straw yet so being able to boil water is still a necessity in my mind.
Stainless Canteen (wide mouth, cap completely removes) <plastic water bottles weigh almost nothing empty… --This goes back to the boiling water for snacks and as a backup to the life straw.
Sharpening Steel (fine grit diamond) --Extra light / probably a bit redundant considering the small sharpener I keep, but like before, my knife edges are very important to me. I will consider leaving this at camp.
Life straw
Few Ziplock bags of different sizes --Carries extra unfiltered water, waterproof bags for wet weather, I can't list all the stuff I could use them for and they are a few grams.
Extra pair of Socks --Spent a large part of my youth backpacking and was in a very survival driven boy scout troupe for many years (eagled and inducted into the order of the arrow for anyone into that stuff), a pair of dry socks to change into while your wet ones are drying is a life saver for me.
@@Couple disposable water bottles --Not just for drinking but hopefully to help clean up after a game harvest. I never use my water bladder so I am leaving it this trip and want at least a few quarts of water with me (my diet requires a lot of liquid/water). I will also be hunting at a fairly high elevation and not sure about the water supply with this years drought.

--Game kit (ziplock)
Game bags <maybe for elk, skin the deer in camp. --Weigh almost nothing and if I decide to take it out in a few hunks on my pack vs dragging it back to camp.
Travel size hand sanitizer --Ok, I am a bit of a clean freak…:oops: I don't mind getting bloody and dirty but when I am done I want to be as clean as possible. Also, it will take pitch/sap off your hand in a second. Thirdly, it is mostly alcohol so it can be used to start a fire in the rain. I might be able to fuel my zippo with it but I have no idea.
3 pair of Rubber gloves <1 pair is enough --They are nytrex? and weigh almost nothing. Having very large hands, I have ripped out of them a few times by accident. I usually have cuts on one of my hands so it seemed better to have a spare.
@@Ground Black Pepper <? --OK, maybe I am crazy but an old old hunter told me to bring vinegar or ground black pepper and spread it on any exposed meat and that supposedly keeps the flies away. I would love some confirmation for this cuz I am leaving it at home if its a wife's tale
--Fire kit (ziplock)
Bic
Storm proof matches in waterproof container
Pill container full of dryer lint
Fero rod
Char tin full of charred cloth

< have you ever practiced with a fero rod? It sucks and likely will never work in the rain. Honestly, a fire is way way down the list of things in any survival situation. --I will have to humbly agree to disagree here. Fire is one of the very first things I would secure if stranded. Even before shelter. No shelter in the world will ADD warmth if you get hypothermic. I learned this the hard way as a teen and it has stuck with me. Fire also is a major mood enhancer during both light and dark hours.
--The fero rod and cloth tin are probably overkill with the matches and a zippo. I think of them like a knife vs gun. The rod and char cloth are dang near never everlasting. I am very efficient with starting a fire with one in the wet (that hand sanitizer can be helpful). I do seem to think they are very faddish for most people but I do have the skills to use it effectively (not bragging, just being honest about my perceived skill level).

--Food kit (ziplock)
Tea bags (no coffee for me)
Sugar
Salt (for electrolytes)
Salt, onion powder, garlic powder
@@Coconut Oil
@@Honey
<I don't really want to critique anyones food list. Any food is good out there but im curious about the practicality of this list... how do you make tea without a cup and stove? What are the spices for? --I make a small fire and boil water in the canteen. Spices are for small game if I have to resort to that or grab a grouse or rabbit while out and about. AND no offense taken, I asked for input..

As for salt, consider most packaged snacks already have tones of salt and sugar in them.
--My diet doesn't allow for much processed foods (when I say diet I mean what I am physically able to eat, not some weight loss diet), life would be infinitely easier if I could toss a couple energy bars and some jerky into my bag and call it good =(.

I usually pack a sandwich and a few candy bars. I keep a can of kippered snacks at the bottom of my pack in case I'm stuck somewhere and out of food. I sometimes carry a small compact Thermos with coffee for watching clear cuts as the sun comes up but that's a luxury item and you could do the same with tea hot or cold. --The Canteen doubles as a sudo thermos for me. Sandwiches I can do (carbs and meat protein are my staples).

--bubblegum Went Wrong Son kit (ziplock)
Zip ties <you already have paracord --Sometimes the zip ties just do the job better
Survival Priorities tiny guide <read this at home. --Nothing in it I don't know by heart but JIC I am mentally deficient it gives me a resource to help me think straight and is less then a gram.
Pack of shelled hooks --Less then a gram but yea, I can't imagine fishing with them where I will be. You can file the barb off of them and use floss or paracord to stitch up clothing or skin though and that's mainly why I have them.
Signal, face mirror <some compasses come with a mirror --Have a very god compass from my scouting days still and it does have a mirror. So this is probably unnecessary.
Junk compass & thermometer
Nasty loud signal whistle (I carry ear plugs to sight in my rifle Just In Case & IF I ever need to use this whistle)
Para cord spring loaded loop holder <learn how to tie a taught line hitch --Scout and Sailor so I got the knots down but it can be handy for quick fix stuff.
Big Bandana
@@Water Purification Tabs <you have a life straw filter already --Sold, I don't really like these anyway
@@Ear Buds
@@iPod

<listening to music decreases your chance for success… --This would be for mental distraction during an emergency where I was waiting to be rescued and would only use one of the two so that I could still hear things

--First Aid Kit
Few empty pockets for JIC
Large Thick Rain Poncho < you already have a space blanket and presumably your main jacket is waterproof, it should be --Sitting in one place for a long time can be a bit miserable in a heavy downpour. Yes, my jacket and pants are waterproof but can still soak up some water and get heavy.
Duck Tape wrapped around the poncho plastic bag (maybe 10') <wrap around a pencil end about 1" dia then break off the extra end and file smooth. --Thats a good idea. I just used the poncho container because it was squarish.
Mole Skin <duct tape
Gauss wrap
Anti-Itch Gel (I catch poison oak, sumac or whatever from 6' away and am allergic so even though its a few extra ounces and a rarity I'll need it - it's worth it to me)
Foam ear plugs
Transpore 3M Tape (small roll)
Sports tape (1" and roll almost gone)
Nail clippers

Individual Neosporin packs
Gauss squares (sterile pads)
Bandaid collection from butterfly to large sterile pads

<a wad of gauze and the duct tape will bandage any cut and scrape. --Touché, but it weighs almost nothing and gives me a lot of options for first aid. (I started with about 4 times the amount of stuff in the first aid kit lol).

EDC ON ME:
Truck Key
Digital Wrist Watch
Zippo
Folding Knife
3" Neck Knife
Flashlight
Extra 3 round Mag
Hunter Orange Vest
Hunter Orange Hat w/bill

one more thing... don't remove anything your not comfortable with. All this is an opinion based on individual experience which is different for all, you don't want to be needing something in an emergency that you don't have because of advice on the internet. Travelling ultra light is a discipline, one thing I've done is after a couple hikes or so is remove anything I didn't use. After a while you'll truly only have what you really need, but then room in the pack for a few now and then luxuries (like coffee) or more food for longer hikes. --I truly appreciate all of the insight and help with my list. This had to have taken you a good chunk of time to type out and that is not lost on me. Thanks a ton for going down my list item by item!!!!:):):):)[/QUOTE]

Hey Joe,

First year I tried the scent killer thing... First, bought No Scent Laundry soap, the Body soap/shampoo and the No Scent hand wipes. Then, made my own Nature Tea.

Boiled up a witches brew concoction in a large pot with Fir branches/needles, mixed with a little Cedar, scrub Oak leafs/branches/moss, even threw in a touch of Holly leafs, and dumped a bit of water into it. Boiled it for around 30 mins, taste tested... not bad at all! Tasted like real nature!

It made a gallon and a quart. So, I laundered all my hunting clothes with no scent, showered in the morning with the soap, use the hand wipes as needed in the field, like after eating or using natures natural restroom facilities and sprayed on the Nature Tea as the final cover up when getting out of the truck.

So how did it do? Don't know. Didn't see anything. That could be a good sign or a bad sign. Good; because it did it's job and made me smell like the natural surroundings. OR... Bad; because it was an awful smell to the deer and they stayed way away from me. Only time will tell!

Along the L1200, South end, only 1 buck taken this morning (didn't hear of any other nearby shots at that end). It was a quarter mile away from me. Small rack 2 point but nice size buck. I helped him drag it down off the hill to the truck. Later I drove up to Silver Star area and didn't see anything but lots of hunters.

Let me know if you'd like to meet up on Monday. I've got that day off and I may be on my own that day.

View attachment 259959

View attachment 259960
Wife just got home, will read this and reply tomorrow Bill.

I've had several "survival experiences" where I did not have the needed gear. One winter I sunk my Army Dodge in 5 feet of water and had to walk home about 20 miles in the dark. I did the same w/a jacked-up Bronco in a snow drift. Once I lost the trail on a moonless night @9,000 feet when my flash light batteries died due to the sub-zero cold, that was a close call. In each incident low blood sugar was part of my undoing as my mental facilities were affected.
I've also wiped out radiators and had double flats. There was one time I dropped a wheel off the edge of a cliff and had to walk back for the Army rig, all miles from home.
Over time I prioritized shelter, light, fire and FOOD. Especially in the wet areas I will carry items in my pockets, on my belt and in my pack. I found that incidents happen when your already tired and usually near night fall, I have packs in all my rigs w/enough for 48 hours.

No success on my first trip out. Took me two days to find fresh scat and by then I had done so much brush/game trail hiking that I was gassed out and figured even if I got a deer that I would have a real hard time getting it back to the truck and not ruin the meat.

Kinda bummed but I always learn more every time I go out, and the season isn't over yet...

BTW - the head light was way handier then I expected and will be a staple in my pack from here on out.

Before I left my camp I took the cook kit, canteen, emergency kit, 10 round mag, half the fire kit, the poncho and the 2-way radio out of my bag before even putting it on trying to save energy.

I found that an axe is better for making shelters and a machete is better for brush and small trees so I will most likely carry the lighter machete in the future. It takes more energy but does a better job for what I was using it for.

I'll post an update of my next adventure - planning another trip or two at deer and then planning to go for elk this year as well.

I think I will do better with 24-36 hour hunts and then going home to recoup my energy. It will also keep the amount of gear I am loading and unloading to clean down to a minimum.

Also, If my wife expects me back by bedtime and I'm not home, I'll most likely be rescued in a day or so, so no need for extended rations or survival gear.

You'll get it figured out Joe. Survival gear is nice. Something to start a fire and keep the rain off is nice. If you're hunting an area with clearcuts spend some time early and late on the binoculars. Might see something to go after.

Nada. Zip. Zilch. Nuttin. Not even a doe. Only thing I saw was a rabbit. Should have shot it. But, we're not hunting wabbits. Most all the hunters I talk with each day say the same, or, they'll say "they heard of..." or "a friend said they saw...".

Two weekends into this years deer hunt and it's dead. Really dead. I did 3 days the first weekend and doing 3 this weekend. I'll do the last 2 days next weekend. Then wait for late season and try again. However, I don't expect anything.

I've been hunting on WA DNR land in Yacolt Burn State Forest, East side all the way up and down. Usually, there are deer all over that area because it's quiet and doesn't get a lot of traffic. Last year we could hunt for miles down at the South end, but not this year because of Weyerhaeuser. In the middle section, the forest is pretty thick and not many clear cuts while the North end has a few more reasonable open areas. As you get closer to Yacolt there are many areas of large clear cuts up by Silver Star Mtn.

Weyerhaeuser has done the permit thing on the lower part of Larch Mt, in the Washougal Unit. They have leased huge amounts of forest from DNR and no one gets access without a $200 permit ($50 walk in). This has cut off the miles and miles we used to be able to drive and hunt. The result is; it has pushed a lot of hunters further up the hill to the middle and North end and this year there's just no game.

The heavy traffic of hunters has pushed me up to the North side a few times, even up to the Silver Star area, and nothing up there either (except a ton of hunter's looking for an unoccupied clear cut to sit at). Hardly heard but a shot or two. Sit, hike, drive, or brave the dark/thick forest, it doesn't matter what you do, there's nothing there.

Also, the West side of Larch is very limited to hunting and target shooting because of more trails this year for hikers, trail riders and so forth. (the West side is the easy side to access for the Vancouver recreation crowd). It has pushed target shooters over to the East side. There has been a lot more target shooting on the East side this deer season than there was last season. Could have a bit to do with the deer not hanging around.

Not sure why or where they went, but, it's not good. For me, however, it's either hunt there or give it up all together. I don't have any private land to hunt on and can't pay for access. (It's cost me enough as it is!). I certainly could trade some skills for hunting rights, but haven't found a bartering property owner with acreage yet.

So, yeah, I'm bummed. :( Hope you have better luck on your next trip out, Joe. Just don't bother to hunt Larch area!

Last Edited:
Nada. Zip. Zilch. Nuttin. Not even a doe. Only thing I saw was a rabbit. Should have shot it. But, we're not hunting wabbits. Most all the hunters I talk with each day say the same, or, they'll say "they heard of..." or "a friend said they saw...".

Two weekends into this years deer hunt and it's dead. Really dead. I did 3 days the first weekend and doing 3 this weekend. I'll do the last 2 days next weekend. Then wait for late season and try again. However, I don't expect anything.

I've been hunting on WA DNR land in Yacolt Burn State Forest, East side all the way up and down. Usually, there are deer all over that area because it's quiet and doesn't get a lot of traffic. Last year we could hunt for miles down at the South end, but not this year because of Weyerhaeuser. In the middle section, the forest is pretty thick and not many clear cuts while the North end has a few more reasonable open areas. As you get closer to Yacolt there are many areas of large clear cuts up by Silver Star Mtn.

Weyerhaeuser has done the permit thing on the lower part of Larch Mt, in the Washougal Unit. They have least huge amounts of forest from DNR and no one gets access without a $200 permit ($50 walk in). This has cut off the miles and miles we used to be able to drive and hunt. The result is; it has pushed a lot of hunters further up the hill to the middle and North end and this year there's just no game.

The heavy traffic of hunters has pushed me up to the North side a few times, even up to the Silver Star area, and nothing up there either (except a ton of hunter's looking for an unoccupied clear cut to sit at). Hardly heard but a shot or two. Sit, hike, drive, or brave the dark/thick forest, it doesn't matter what you do, there's nothing there.

Also, the West side of Larch is very limited to hunting and target shooting because of more trails this year for hikers, trail riders and so forth. (the West side is the easy side to access for the Vancouver recreation crowd). It has pushed target shooters over to the East side. There has been a lot more target shooting on the East side this deer season than there was last season. Could have a bit to do with the deer not hanging around.

Not sure why or where they went, but, it's not good. For me, however, it's either hunt there or give it up all together. I don't have any private land to hunt on and can't pay for access. (It's cost me enough as it is!). I certainly could trade some skills for hunting rights, but haven't found a bartering property owner with acreage yet.

So, yeah, I'm bummed. :( Hope you have better luck on your next trip out, Joe. Just don't bother to hunt Larch area!

If you want to partner up, we could share the gas to get a little further out.

I had a good feeling before I starts but I'm not feeling so confident right now.

I'll keep trying though and hopefully worst case, I find my elk hunting spot while out looking for deer.

I saw lots of fresh elk evidence yesterday. Makes me think I should have saved it all for elk season, rather than deer. One or the other for me. Oh well, maybe next year.

I'm already gassed up for tomorrows fuel and then I'm done till next weekend. I'll have a full wallet and ready to head out once again. Could hook up for that.

Cogs, same story down here in the santiam foothills... I have been hunting like crazy and not seeing anything. I found a area with some fresh tracks and have been focusing on it- but havent seen anything. I was excited about today's weather and got wetter than a sponge today, but nothing showed itself. I have a 4 day weekend next weekend to hunt, but am not expecting much.

hey guys, dont give up or get discouraged. Ive been bunting public lands all my life and this is what it is for blacktail. The only efficient way is to organize a drive with enough hunters... otherwise its stalking and still hunting, wich is not easy and low sucess rate. Hang in there it will happen.

Update... Last day of WA general rifle season 10-31... Noticed the deer are acting a bit strange!

Got a little scared when I saw this! So I threw my gun into the truck and ripped out of there!

Halloween Deer.jpg

Just kidding, but thought that pic was pretty cute! (not my photo)

Spent my last day on the East side of the Cascades. Dry all day! Nice! It rained all the way up there, and when I got out of the truck at 7:15, it stopped. It was a real light rain before then. Stayed dry till 3 pm. I left then anyway. Stopped at a neighbors and picked up some farm fresh eggs, picked up a bottle of red wine from a local Winery for the wife and drove home in a down pour, hydroplaning all the way.

2 does when I pulled in to my hunting spot. Later, another doe laying under a tree. No bucks today. Hardly saw any other hunters. May have been 4 or 5 other hunters as I drove around later but no one at my first and second stops. Was real nice. Lots of open areas to hunt. And they are Mule deer. Only bummer is, they have to be 3 point or better. Still, it was well worth the trip.

I'll go back up there for late season. Closer to the rut and those bucks will be pulling some stupid mistakes!

Bill

Last Edited:
I don't walk the 3 to 5 miles I used to now more like 1 or 2 miles (bad knees) what i take then and now 2 16 to 20 oz of water hunting knife and pocket knife now cell phone GPS at least 15 extra rounds for the rifle my 10mm and an extra clipsome small rope 50ft.hunting vest has built in pack cople of power bars for snack i pack lite

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top