JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice area.
I'm not familiar with the area around here much. I've been hunting with a friend that grew up here. Hard part is finding a place around here that ins't full of hunters.
Seems like every place I've been is full of people.

I've been wanting to get into archery to hopefully see less people around, but havn't had the time to practice.

Enjoy the time spent in the woods alone.
I know i do.
I love my family and my hunting partner is a pretty good guy.
But those days that i get to myself, i wouldnt give them up for anything.

Sometimes, i just find a comfy spot and take a nap. I aint on anyone's schedule.
Those are the best naps in the world!

This!
I'm usually a pretty anxious person and always worried about this or that. But when I'm in the woods fishing, hunting, or just hiking. Nothing else matters I'm at peace. I can finally relax.
I still worry about my wife and kids, but there's nothing like removing yourself from the craziness of life and idiots to just be at peace.

I have spent a few hours today just going thru my pack and rearranging and cataloging what I put where (too many pockets can be an issue sometimes).

It also helped me identify a couple of unessecary items I could do without and a few I thought I had but had not actually packed yet.

The list is a little bit of a mess so I will clean it up and post it tomorrow for y'all to pick at:p.

Total weight without water is 20.2lbs. I think with a half gallon of water and the few things left to pack I will be right at 25lbs which is both about what I had hoped for best case and it also happens to be just a bit over 10% of my body weight.

Enjoy the time spent in the woods alone.
I know i do.
I love my family and my hunting partner is a pretty good guy.
But those days that i get to myself, i wouldnt give them up for anything.

Sometimes, i just find a comfy spot and take a nap. I aint on anyone's schedule.
Those are the best naps in the world!

I know that feeling. Sadly it rarely helps my hunts. One time hunting squirrels I fell asleep, when I woke there were three squirrels in the tree I was sleeping up against. They weren't there when I set up against the tree lol.

I have spent a few hours today just going thru my pack and rearranging and cataloging what I put where (too many pockets can be an issue sometimes).

It also helped me identify a couple of unessecary items I could do without and a few I thought I had but had not actually packed yet.

The list is a little bit of a mess so I will clean it up and post it tomorrow for y'all to pick at:p.

Total weight without water is 20.2lbs. I think with a half gallon of water and the few things left to pack I will be right at 25lbs which is both about what I had hoped for best case and it also happens to be just a bit over 10% of my body weight.

Are you hiking to a camp or driving to a place to camp. Or should I start with, are you spending more than one night out there or day hunting? Once you figure this out it helps get your pack even more solidly set up. Also, the animal your hunting can help make for a lighter pack. Yotes and squirrel, as well as birds, it's usually a small camel pack. Deer requires more space, elk even more. Are you going to debone in the field requires less than quartering with backs traps. Etc. etc.

I usually try to scope out good areas to set up camp near my vehicle. Then I will venture at most 10 miles give or take from there. If I camp away from my vehicle, I try to do so within 8 miles. From there I will keep the distances I travel to hunt to roughly 6 miles from my camp. So at least less than 15 total miles away from my vehicle and a means to quicker medical attention.

Four things I always bring that you may want to consider and are not part of most first aid kits the third and forth may not be as important to some. Those four things are a suture kit, a tourniquet, my travel bible, and a picture of my wife.

Last Edited:
Four things I always bring that you may want to consider and are not part of most first aid kits the third and forth may not be as important to some. Those four things are a suture kit, a tourniquet, my travel bible, and a picture of my wife.
Thanks for the reminder. Now I just have to find a picture of your wife....:D

Are you hiking to a camp or driving to a place to camp. Or should I start with, are you spending more than one night out there or day hunting? Once you figure this out it helps get your pack even more solidly set up. Also, the animal your hunting can help make for a lighter pack. Yotes and squirrel, as well as birds, it's usually a small camel pack. Deer requires more space, elk even more. Are you going to debone in the field requires less than quartering with backs traps. Etc. etc.

I usually try to scope out good areas to set up camp near my vehicle. Then I will venture at most 10 miles give or take from there. If I camp away from my vehicle, I try to do so within 8 miles. From there I will keep the distances I travel to hunt to roughly 6 miles from my camp. So at least less than 15 total miles away from my vehicle and a means to quicker medical attention.

Ok, more info...

My plan is to use my vehicle to sleep in (full size conversion van so I can fit an air mattress in the back) so no tent set up.

Pack contents are just for the trek out to some of my favorite spots probably 4 miles max but maybe 6ish if I can't find any signs.

Day trips only (unless an exception were to happen) away from the Van, but I am planning on 5-7 days out at a time or until I fill a tag.

Modern deer,west side so black tail is what I've seen an am guessing is in the area.

Then I'll be doing the same thing in the same place for Elk. I expect I may need a little more cold weather gear but otherwise expect it will be about the same.

If I have the available light then I plan to bone it out. Worst case would be a dusk shot and then I'm thinking a quick field gutting and drag him back to camp and hang him till the morning.

On the four things you mentioned: I have duck tape and would probably be better able to just tape it till I can get to someone with more skills in that area then Me.

Always carry a neckerchief and bandanas that can be used as a tourniquet.

I should look into some lightweight reading material (I've read the bible but I'm not sure it would help my moral any).

Should get a pic of my girls and write down my ICE info on the back.;)

Ill post up my contents list this afternoon when I get back from some errands.

Worst case would be a dusk shot and then I'm thinking a quick field gutting and drag him back to camp and hang him till the morning.

you must get that hide off as soon as possible or you will spoil meat, overnight is too long to leave the hide on.

In same sealed bag:
disposable gloves
butt wipe (minimum 3/4 roll)
hand sanitizer
lighter
magnesium fire starter​
550 paracord (full bundle)
Knife (folding)
Diamond sharpener
Ammunition
Gerber multi tool (for pliers to remove a bullet if I need a fire starter besides magnesium or lighter)
Fixed blade knife (Gerber and or my bayonet)
Folding saw
Compass if in unknown area
Flashlight with extra set of batteries
Water (backpack has hydration bladder)
Zipties (I carry 12-18" ties)
Granola bars and whatever other food that is high calorie at the house that day

Vehicle contains:
Axe
Hatchet
Bowsaw
Clothes/blanket if it's cold
Raingear
Tire patch kit
Air compressor

This is a must and when I'm not hunting most of this stuff is packed away in an ammo can for any trips out in the woods. Grab can and go.

As of recently I picked up a personal water filter by Sawyer. BiMart carries them for $20 by the way. With that I will never go thirsty and no need for tablets or boiling of water.

you must get that hide off as soon as possible or you will spoil meat, overnight is too long to leave the hide on.

Thank-You, very much for that!!!

Being new and going out on my own I have been trying to aquire enough knowledge to be successful, but every youtube video or articals I read never touch on all the situations, so yall are an invaluable resource to me.:):cool:

Thank-You, very much for that!!!

Being new and going out on my own I have been trying to aquire enough knowledge to be successful, but every youtube video or articals I read never touch on all the situations, so yall are an invaluable resource to me.:):cool:

If you think your going to get a deer while you are out on your walk, pack a tarp.
Vacuum seal the thing, it will get incredibly small.

Look up the gutless method.
I have not used it yet but think i might this year. If you are going to be on your own it allows you to get everything out in the field quickly and packable in reasonable size.

http://blog.havalon.com/the-gutless-method-on-big-game/

Other wise, gut it in the field. You will leave about 15%-20% in body weight by leaving the gut pile where the deer died.

If you think your going to get a deer while you are out on your walk, pack a tarp.
Vacuum seal the thing, it will get incredibly small.

Look up the gutless method.
I have not used it yet but think i might this year. If you are going to be on your own it allows you to get everything out in the field quickly and packable in reasonable size.

http://blog.havalon.com/the-gutless-method-on-big-game/

Other wise, gut it in the field. You will leave about 15%-20% in body weight by leaving the gut pile where the deer died.

That's funny, I just watched a video on the gutless method last night:D. The only concern I have is being a beginner butcher, would I be more likely to spoil or loose a lot of meat that way… IT would certainly be a HUGE advantage when I go for an Elk in a few weeks.

I keep a 6'x8' thin tarp rolled up both to have it and also because its strapped to the bottom of my pack, I don't have to find a tree limb to hang it from to keep it from getting wet when I set it down.

Gotta patch a hole in the shingles while I still have some daylight but then I'll get my pack list (as of now) posted.

Ive been hearing about this gutless method and don't see any disadvantage to it. I've always been able to drag my deer back to camp to skin it there but an elk no way. Good idea to carry a game bag in the field I've always just carried my elk quarters out all skinned and bloody but I've always been fortunate to have help

Joe, its not complicated but just a lot of work. My general rule is put your hand on it, it should always be cool or cold to the touch. If its an unusually hot day don't let the sun hit it, one year I had to hang up a blue tarp for shade. Get the deer back to camp, hang it, skin it, and put a game bag on it. Same thing for elk except (however you field dress it) you'll be bringing it back to camp in pieces (quarters) to hang individually and wont have to skin them. Peel the backstrap and tenderloin off + any rib meat you want and leave the carcass in the woods.

Anybody ever hunted over the remains from a kill?

I have a bear tag in my pocket and am thinking a early morning kill of a deer might make for a evening bear tag being filled.

Reformatted it when I pasted it but I think I fixed most of it...

"@@" Denotes it is not in my pack yet, either because I haven't done it or because I use it daily and will Add it Last Min.

Total Weight (With all of the @@'s and half gallon of water) 25lbs

Hunting Pack List:

-Pack (Badlands Super Day Pack)

Compass
4" knife
Binoculars
Climbing beener
Axe
6'x8' lightweight Tarp
@@9mm compact handgun

-Mini Pack on Belt
Individual wet wipes
Space Pen
Travel pack of Kleenex tissue
Chap Stick
Orange Flagging Tape
ID
Tags n Permits
Asthma Inhaler
Small sharpening stone (fine grit diamond)
Small Leather strop/strip (no compound)
Truck Key

-Right side Pocket
Empty for:
gloves
neck gator
stocking cap
@@disposable water bottle

-Left side Pocket
Small Bone Saw 6"
Work gloves
@@10 Round Rifle Mag

-Back bottom Pocket
2x 60' para cord

-Pack Small Pocket
Travel Size Gold Bond Powder
Neckerchief
@@Ear Plugs
@@Leatherman
@@Mini-Mag Light
@@Snacks

-Pack Medium Pocket
GMU Map in Ziplock
2-way Radio
Radio Accessories (clips, ear bud, laminated card with predetermined channels)
Compressed Space Blanket
--TP Kit
--Gun Care Ziplock:
electrical tape
2 balloons
Rem Oil Wipes
lens cleaner wipes
@@Spare AAA batteries x3

-Pack large Pocket
Empty Space for Shedded Coats etc
Stainless cup/bowl
Bandana (to keep the canteen and cup from rattling + straining murky water)
Stainless Canteen (wide mouth, cap completely removes)
Sharpening Steel (fine grit diamond)
Life straw
Few Ziplock bags of different sizes
Extra pair of Socks
@@Couple disposable water bottles

--Game kit (ziplock)
Game bags
Travel size hand sanitizer
3 pair of Rubber gloves
@@Ground Black Pepper

--Fire kit (ziplock)
Bic
Storm proof matches in waterproof container
Pill container full of dryer lint
Fero rod
Char tin full of charred cloth

--Food kit (ziplock)
Tea bags (no coffee for me)
Sugar
Salt (for electrolytes)
Salt, onion powder, garlic powder
@@Coconut Oil
@@Honey

--bubblegum Went Wrong Son kit (ziplock)
Zip ties
Survival Priorities tiny guide
Pack of snelled hooks
Signal, face mirror
Junk compass & thermometer
Nasty loud signal whistle (I carry ear plugs to sight in my rifle Just In Case & IF I ever need to use this whistle)
Para cord spring loaded loop holder
Big Bandana
@@Water Purification Tabs
@@Ear Buds
@@iPod

--First Aid Kit
Few empty pockets for JIC
Large Thick Rain Poncho
Duck Tape wrapped around the poncho plastic bag (maybe 10')
Mole Skin
Gauss wrap
Anti-Itch Gel (I catch poison oak, sumac or whatever from 6' away and am allergic so even though its a few extra ounces and a rarity I'll need it - it's worth it to me)
Foam ear plugs
Transpore 3M Tape (small roll)
Sports tape (1" and roll almost gone)
Nail clippers
Individual Neosporin packs
Gauss squares (sterile pads)
Bandaid collection from butterfly to large sterile pads

EDC ON ME:
Truck Key
Digital Wrist Watch
Zippo
Folding Knife
3" Neck Knife
Flashlight
Extra 3 round Mag
Hunter Orange Vest
Hunter Orange Hat w/bill

Few note's:

I would not think many of these items would be needed except for the fact that I will be hunting alone almost all of the time. For my skill set and comfort level (as well as my wife's comfort), I tried to strike that magic balance between functionality and weight. Accidents would be call on purposes' if they were so I try to plan for most of it.:s0012:

I am leaving my water bladder at home in favor of disposable plastic bottles for a few reasons:
No Cleaning needed when I get back to camp
Can be used as a pee container in a sit and wait situation:s0001:
They Weigh very little and can be compressed when empty

I am only taking a 4" knife on my belt (3" is always on my neck and 3" folder in my pocket) because my 5" knives are serrated and are not able to be sharpened by me. I am sure that's all I'll need in the field but I have XL hands and larger knives can sometimes be easier for me to manipulate. I would have liked to have snagged that Esee 6 that just sold but I'm squeaking by for funds and will be for a little while.:s0004:

The 9mm is for 2 legger's.:s0109:

The 10 round Mag on top of the 5 round that'll be in the Rifle and a 3 round in my pocket is 'cuz Merica!!!:s0003: That's why. Well, and for signaling purposes if I am really lost.

Zippo is because it can be lit with frozen hands and stays lit without needing to be held.

Coconut Oil is: Antibacterial, good fat (I'm not eating squirrel brains), a lotion, a sunscreen etc

Honey is: Antiseptic, fast calories and for Tea

OK, I've nit picked this list to death - hit me with your wisdoms please...:rolleyes:

Optional.... I have a couple of these for water bottles. Collapsed, they take up less space... the more you drink the smaller they get. ultra light. I roll mine up with a rubber band when done.

http://www.amazon.com/Platypus-PlusBottle/dp/B001AQM330/ref=pd_sim_468_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0RY4NAND47XT1Q6DSKQX&dpID=41tvvXRRODL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR84,160_

http%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fmedia.cascadedesigns.com%2Fimages%2Fproduct%2Flarge%2FplusBottle.jpg

I think you nailed it now go get us some dinner. :p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads