JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
be careful with those first aid kits, many of those are huge and weigh a lot with stuff youll never use.

most of what you need is first aid training, take a cpr class.... is worth more than a kit in the pack.

be careful with those first aid kits, many of those are huge and weigh a lot with stuff youll never use.

most of what you need is first aid training, take a cpr class.... is worth more than a kit in the pack.

For sure!

Mine is home made with the things I would need to keep from dying for a while longer.

I don't think the commercially built ones are good with a lot of useless stuff and cheap quality tools.

I want to think it is about 3# tops but my kitchen scale is about to get some extra duty here soon so I can see what I'm looking at per kit and will see if there is anythin else I can feel comfortable leaving behind.

I want to think it is about 3# tops but my kitchen scale is about to get some extra duty here soon so I can see what I'm looking at per kit and will see if there is anythin else I can feel comfortable leaving behind.
nd thats the idea with this. YOU need to decide what YOU are comfortable with leaving behind.
We give you ideas and you decide that we are o spot or 'NO WAY I'm leaving that behind'
And I'm sure that's why you asked,to see if you were crazy with all your stuff or pretty much on track
There is a few essentials and a lot of stuff you may or may not ever use

nd thats the idea with this. YOU need to decide what YOU are comfortable with leaving behind.
We give you ideas and you decide that we are o spot or 'NO WAY I'm leaving that behind'
And I'm sure that's why you asked,to see if you were crazy with all your stuff or pretty much on track
There is a few essentials and a lot of stuff you may or may not ever use

100% true. I will admit while I have my hunting backpack there are times when I will head out with nothing more then what in my pockets and on my belt. These cases are usually when I am hunting a familiar area, not far from a road and the weather is nice. But, if I had to spend the night or three at the bottom of a ravine I know I could. I may not like it, but I'll live.

I read a lot and watch a lot of videos but most of the info doesn't always pertain to Western WA/OR Hunting (and got redundant) so I thought I'd ask the local folks.

How heavy is your pack loaded (rifle not included)?

15 pounds, but I am not a back country hunter therefore I travel light.

Do you prep for the worst or pack for light and fast maneuverability?

A little of both. I always keep rain gear, flashlight with extra batteries, TP, a first aid kit and an emergency signal. Other than that, just a couple sharp knives, 550 cord and a couple game bags. Oh, and a set of binoculars, range finder, wind indicator, spotting scope (when I am spot and talk hunting), headlamp.

Ever hunt alone?

Yes. I let someone know where I will be and when I expect to be back. Hard to get out of cell service these days.

Stand Hunt or Spot and Track?

I spot and stalk mostly. I like to find a vantage point and use binoculars to read the land. I like to watch a buck to his bed and then try to stalk within range of a reasonably shot. If I dont see a buck go to bed, I use the spotting scope to really look into spots that would hide a buck that probably bedded down before sun-up.

Ever have to spend the night out away from your camp/vehicle?

Yes. This is generally with a partner and we will load a pack frame with our daypacks, food and sleeping gear. Sometimes you cant set up camp within an easy hiking distance and it makes more sense to hike once and hunt twice.

Items you won't go without?

Same stuff as above plus cell phone and rifle.

Useless Items?

Overly complicated rifles and optics.

I keep bouncing back and forth on a lot of the gear I have loaded up.

The boy scout says haul it all, my feet remember last year and say leave almost all of it behind.

So I went out yesterday with my first ever hunting pack (it's my first season hunting) and I packed fairly light but with the essentials. It wasn't too heavy...i lugged it around all day and it didn't bother me.
My pack consisted of the following:
-extra knife
-leatherman
-saw/gutting tool
-game bags
-compass
-gps
-map
-small pen/pad
-matches
-paracord
-flashlight w/ extra batteries
-extra binoculars
-range finder
-extra socks
-plastic poncho
-basic first aid items (quick clot/bandages/anti-bacterial ointment/stitching tool)
-enough snacks/water for 36 hours

I ended up only using what i needed and I don't think i over packed besides the extra binos.
My sidearm and extra ammo for it was on my hip.
My cell phone, main knife, wallet, tiny flashlight was in my pocket. (my basic EDC items)
The full first aid kit was in the truck.

I revisited my pack and kits.

I'm not hunting more then 10 miles max I would think from my camp and there is a better chance of me making it back in the same night if I am not lugging stuff I would need for a 2 week stay out in the bush.

I made sure I had redundancies in places like fire and water but if I did't think I would use it for a day trip I took it out.

Oh, and all those bags I was usein to be able to interchange between an overnight or a day pack were adding a considerably more weight then I would have thought. So kudos for that tidbit.

Cut my game bag in half and took all redundancies out (gloves, extra knife and saw, bags etc).

I did keep my woods axe and a lot of para cord but I can do an aweful lot with those things if I do get stranded.

I can easily say I cut half the weight - I'm hoping to be under 30# after water but I'm not sure.

While ya'll are off on the first weekend of the season (missus is out of town for work so I'm stuck till Monday) I'll go thru it one more time and make a list. Then I will try and make a list of stuff that I wouldn't haul again and what I wished I would have brought that I left behind).

Big Thanks to everyone that helped with input!!!!!:):):)

I also really appreciate the Water filter bottles or life straws.. They are very refreshing because even on warm days the creeks produce nice chilled water. The bottles filter out all the bad stuff as well as improve taste. Its a nice treat as well as a great addition to a big out bag or GHB. Great multi purpose tool

I read a lot and watch a lot of videos but most of the info doesn't always pertain to Western WA/OR Hunting (and got redundant) so I thought I'd ask the local folks.

How heavy is your pack loaded (rifle not included)? 15-20lbs

Do you prep for the worst or pack for light and fast maneuverability? Light depending on where we are hunting and expected weather

Ever hunt alone? Yes, on occasion

Stand Hunt or Spot and Track? I sit and watch active areas and walk

Ever have to spend the night out away from your camp/vehicle? Not yet, but ok if i have to do it

Items you won't go without? Food, water, and rope

Useless Items? Extra socks and rain gear

I keep bouncing back and forth on a lot of the gear I have loaded up.

The boy scout says haul it all, my feet remember last year and say leave almost all of it behind.

I did not grow up hunting.
I jumped in feet first with elk hunting 4 years ago.
I learned a lot that first season in the unit we elk hunt.
I probably leave a lot of stuff behind that would keep me safe if i got lost, but i have also been dropped off in the wilderness with no directions to get back to civilization. I am still here.
I find it best practice to leave general knowledge of where and what i am doing with my wife. She has confidence in me and my skills. She also knows if something is amiss if i am not home in a reasonable amount of time.

Hunting alone is okay, but you should prefer not too. (Nice to have someone to help pack it out!)
But if you do go alone make sure you know where your going and you tell someone!

Stand hunting or spotting it the easiest, if your tracking you may go further than you want to pack out and you need to do some scouting before hand.

Carry as LITTLE as possible. You want to be light, fast, and be able to carry more weight out.
But carry enough for survival and always prepare to stay away from your car. Little protein filled snacks, paracord, fire starting materials, 1st aid kit, and fully charged phone.
Walmart sells mini flares in the camping section for signal/fire starting they come in a 2pk for like $5. I used to carry these in my search pack with a small bottle of gas. Made for an easy fire starter.
Always carry a canteen with water and carry chlorine tablets.

You can put together a light pack with everything you need for survival. I bought a new pack and loaded it with all the stuff I "needed" then I carried hunting and was hurting by the end of the day.
The next year I removed 2/3 of that pack.

I always prepare and pack for double the time I plan on being out.

For Blacktails, I usually hunt within about 2 miles of the truck, which changes the equation quite a bit. I carry basic food, shelter (emergency bivy sack plus a small nylon tarp and cordage), flashlights / spare batteries, GPS / compass / radio / whistle, and a basic kill kit, but I make it all fit into a fanny pack (the kind with shoulder straps) with my rain gear strapped to the outside. Instead of a pack frame and a huge kill kit, I carry a deer drag (nylon shoulder straps and a short rope). When I down an animal, I move the day pack to the front and drag the deer back to the truck. This has worked great for 3 of the 4 deer my hunting partner and I have dealt with in the past 4 years (the only one that the deer drag wasn't ideal for was an uphill pack over a brand new clearcut; it was easier to carry the deer than to drag it through the slash). Sometimes I drag it to the nearest trail and jog back to the truck for the game cart, and sometimes I just drag it all the way.

After using my $5 Wally World deer drag for 4 years, I final made a nicer one last week that I look forward to testing. I bought mil-surp backpack shoulder straps that were connected in the back by nylon webbing, and I ran 550 cord behind it for the drag line. I'm a little concerned because the drag line is connected up by my shoulders instead of at the hips like most I've seen, but I look forward to testing it soon. I guess I could just hook it to something heavy and drag it down the walking trail next door, but I'll probably wait until I shoot a deer and have to McGyver it in the field instead.

I was a scout as a kid for many years in an active troup. My survival badge happened on a night it dropped 30+ degrees and started snowing. I was a lifeguard and camp counseler for years as well so making my own first aid kit is second nature - just not overpacking is always my enemy.

The drag harness I bought on sale after last years season but am pretty sure my pack is too large to use it. My plan if I can't bone it out was to try to build a stretcher with two poles and my small tarp and roll the deer on to that. Figured I could drag a 150lb deer as easily as I would a wounded friend.

At this point I do not have any partners set up for this year so I'm planning solo trips and will just be happy if it works out I'm not alone on every trip.

And I keep reevaluating my packs contents and at least have enough room to hold my jacket and extra layers when I shed them.

So I went out yesterday with my first ever hunting pack (it's my first season hunting) and I packed fairly light but with the essentials. It wasn't too heavy...i lugged it around all day and it didn't bother me.
My pack consisted of the following:
-extra knife
-leatherman
-saw/gutting tool
-game bags
-compass
-gps
-map
-small pen/pad
-matches
-paracord
-flashlight w/ extra batteries
-extra binoculars
-range finder
-extra socks
-plastic poncho
-basic first aid items (quick clot/bandages/anti-bacterial ointment/stitching tool)
-enough snacks/water for 36 hours

I ended up only using what i needed and I don't think i over packed besides the extra binos.
My sidearm and extra ammo for it was on my hip.
My cell phone, main knife, wallet, tiny flashlight was in my pocket. (my basic EDC items)
The full first aid kit was in the truck.

You're hooked now; man against the nature, man against the institution, man against himself....

You're hooked now; man against the nature, man against the institution, man against himself....

Unfortunately, I am hooked. I was completely exhausted when I got back home but loved every minute of it. I was out there by myself on that entire mountain. I felt so free and finally started relying more on my senses then the tech gadgets i carry around everyday.
I'm not anywhere near where some of you guys are but it's like crack. I'm in it and want more of it. :D

I was a scout as a kid for many years in an active troup. My survival badge happened on a night it dropped 30+ degrees and started snowing. I was a lifeguard and camp counseler for years as well so making my own first aid kit is second nature - just not overpacking is always my enemy.

The drag harness I bought on sale after last years season but am pretty sure my pack is too large to use it. My plan if I can't bone it out was to try to build a stretcher with two poles and my small tarp and roll the deer on to that. Figured I could drag a 150lb deer as easily as I would a wounded friend.

At this point I do not have any partners set up for this year so I'm planning solo trips and will just be happy if it works out I'm not alone on every trip.

And I keep reevaluating my packs contents and at least have enough room to hold my jacket and extra layers when I shed them.

A good number of NW hunters practice gutless field dressings; particularly for elk, but it works for deer when you are several miles from the vehicle.

Skin one side, remove the straps, flank meat and legs. Roll over and do the same. Hang stuff until you can regroup and de-bone the legs. Separate the meat from bone asap; prevent bone sour.

Bring out the (tagged) head and meat; leave the rest for the critters...throw a cam on the carcass and see what shows up for the feast.

Pack out the head upside down and put flagging tape on the horns.

Some people bring a hand truck or a pack a foldable game cart

East of Yacolt, 568 GMU is where I am most comfortable if I am going to hunt alone.

Enjoy the time spent in the woods alone.
I know i do.
I love my family and my hunting partner is a pretty good guy.
But those days that i get to myself, i wouldnt give them up for anything.

Sometimes, i just find a comfy spot and take a nap. I aint on anyone's schedule.
Those are the best naps in the world!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads