JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been having issies with racoons and opossoms in my backyard in east vancouver.
Having a dog and young kids I worry that when I let me dog out she will get into a fight woth one of these animals and I will end up with a rabid family pet I have to put down.

So I wanted to get a air gun that I can use to kill these animals and that may not be too expensive.

Any ideas?

I'd stick with the .22 vs the .177 rifles.

For what you want it for, almost any of them will work - its limited to your budget.

Beware of neighbors - even the "quiet/silenced" ones will give off a decent crack.

In city limits for legal purposes, your going to be treated as if you are useing a firearm.

Live traps might be an easier, cheaper, safer way to go.

I think but am not sure that the humane society rents them out - at least they used too.

Drive a few miles out and relocate them.

Best of luck man;)

That's a good idea on the traps.
I had thought about it and was wondering on the legality of using a air rifle inside the city limits. I know exterminators use them.

But trapping it may be a good way to go.
They sell them at Wilco. i think right by my house.

My brother Steve in Denver has 4-5 traps in his backyard, which is along a greenway. He wanted to snipe the raccoons and rabbits from his upper deck, but found out that air rifles were treated as firearms within city limits. After getting some traps and hauling the critters out to the west hills, he discovered they have a 15-25 mile roaming range, and many were back 'home' in a few days. He said most of the raccoons acted like they were embarrassed at having been caught, but a few were snarling and trying to bite him through the mesh.

Now he just takes them out to the hills, shoots them in the head with a .22 and leaves the remains for coyotes and crows.

My brother Steve in Denver has 4-5 traps in his backyard, which is along a greenway. He wanted to snipe the raccoons and rabbits from his upper deck, but found out that air rifles were treated as firearms within city limits. After getting some traps and hauling the critters out to the west hills, he discovered they have a 15-25 mile roaming range, and many were back 'home' in a few days. He said most of the raccoons acted like they were embarrassed at having been caught, but a few were snarling and trying to bite him through the mesh.

Now he just takes them out to the hills, shoots them in the head with a .22 and leaves the remains for coyotes and crows.
Not joking. Skin and gut and boil raccoon and or possum. Cool for a while and put them in a smoker! Introduce to soup pot with good vegetables and chicken or beef stock. No, I am not from the South. Nebraska for home of record. Traveled to the South and ate something's I would never imagine. Slow cooking breaks down stringy meat. Initial boiling should be outside. Don't recommend leaving legs or heads on. No meat and are pretty scary to dip on to a plate.

I only fear things being rabid.

But anything cooked right is good.
The people of the south and the hills of the blue mountains know this well.

I would probably do the same and drag them out in the woods for a quick kill and coyote bait.

I would go into stealth mode if you choose the relocation advice. Don't know Washington laws but it is illegal to relocate animals in Oregon without permission, License and a permit or so I was told by Washington county animal control in our efforts to abate the swarms of squirrels fed by neighbors and wrecking havoc in my wife's garden and potted plants.
That said, I'll give you the cleaned up version of my thoughts after hanging up from them; A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do!

IMAG0307.jpg I have Gamo 177 cal it's not the surppesser one and when I use the gold match pellet 's it is very fast and accurate but like someone said above it sounds like I'm shooting a .22 short it's pretty loud and if you miss and hit your neighbor 's car or something it's damage it lol and like some One said above I have ate raccoon before but not a possum it's pretty good if you know how to cook it I think mine is the gamo wild cat it was like $150 paint job not included in purchase

Last Edited:
I bought a couple traps off Amazon long ago. The Havaheart kind. Bought the Cat one first. Had a couple strays from some doper a house down who moved and left them. Humane Society loans them out but never had one when I asked. So I just bought one. Have loaned it out a few times. That same size will work for Racoons. Years later walked out and found a Opossum laying on the window sill by the back door. It caught me so off guard I almost could not believe what I was seeing. It had come in the dog door. So I picked it up with some large tongs and dumped it over the fence. Came right back days later. So bought another trap aimed at this size. First night it was in that window I heard it snap. Went out and there it was. Just drove to a local green belt and let it go. If you don't want to do that drown them and drop in the trash. Much safer that having some neighbor call the cops if they see you shoot one in the city.

I bought a couple traps off Amazon long ago. The Havaheart kind. Bought the Cat one first. Had a couple strays from some doper a house down who moved and left them. Humane Society loans them out but never had one when I asked. So I just bought one. Have loaned it out a few times. That same size will work for Racoons. Years later walked out and found a Opossum laying on the window sill by the back door. It caught me so off guard I almost could not believe what I was seeing. It had come in the dog door. So I picked it up with some large tongs and dumped it over the fence. Came right back days later. So bought another trap aimed at this size. First night it was in that window I heard it snap. Went out and there it was. Just drove to a local green belt and let it go. If you don't want to do that drown them and drop in the trash. Much safer that having some neighbor call the cops if they see you shoot one in the city.
YES I had three under my house a year or so ago but I blocked off the crawlspace so. They left but lately when sister comes over with her dog the dog go 's straight for my deck and I just saw this guy go under the deck so hmmmm I don't really want to kill it I'll have to go out to the island and see if my sisters in-laws still have there trap or like you said see I can barrow one

Well my brother was here over a year ago and left the front door open in the summertime and when he got out of the shower there was two in my living room lol scared the piss out of him

I have been having issies with racoons and opossoms in my backyard in east vancouver.
Having a dog and young kids I worry that when I let me dog out she will get into a fight woth one of these animals and I will end up with a rabid family pet I have to put down.

So I wanted to get a air gun that I can use to kill these animals and that may not be too expensive.

Any ideas?
It depends on the velocity. Some very high power .22 will give off a sonic crack and some .177 are super quiet. Make sure it is shooting below the sound barrier. If you want more penetration, use a .177, for more hitting power, a .22. I personally use a .177 with a little "supressor" (helps a little) that shoots at about 1000 fps and it is decently quiet as some of you at the clean up a little back found out.

I would go into stealth mode if you choose the relocation advice. Don't know Washington laws but it is illegal to relocate animals in Oregon without permission, License and a permit or so I was told by Washington county animal control in our efforts to abate the swarms of squirrels fed by neighbors and wrecking havoc in my wife's garden and potted plants.
That said, I'll give you the cleaned up version of my thoughts after hanging up from them; A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do!
I guess my dad has broken that law at least 5 times now! We occasionally have a bat or two in our attic and he will throw a towel on them and bring them to a state park and release them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top