JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone,
I'm a USPSA member, but it's been quite a few years since I was actively involved in the sport.
I have recently decided to get back to shooting USPSA matches, and am interested in replacing the barrel and compensator in my racegun.
Could anyone point me to some qualified gunsmiths in the area that could help me do this?
My current racegun is built with a Nowlin supported barrel with 3-port comp chambered for .38 SuperComp, a Colt Mark IV lightened slide, an STI hi-cap frame and a C-More dot sight. I still have all my old loading equipment (Dillon Precision 550 4-stage press) but, like my racegun, it's been sitting idle the past few years. I was using Winchester 540 for my USPSA loads at the time (I forget the bullet grain right now, but I'm sure I could look back in my records to find out). I know other competitors were using Vita Vouri Oy at the time as well. I seem to remember USPSA lowering the power factor requirements a few years back, so I'm not sure what most open class competitors are shooting these days. I could sure use some advise on what the latest trends are for open guns these days, to help me get back-up to speed.
Thanks for your help everyone.
DEK

Hey Dek,
The latest trend is 9mm Major. Can make major, cheaper components, and you don't have to chase your brass, and brass is cheap. In the area, I would recommend JPL Precision, he is located in Redmond, Washington.

Here is his url: www.jplprecision.com

My friends that run his guns in 9mm Major have nothing but praise. From what I have seen, the guns he builds runs well.

Here's my race gun set up: SVI 9mm Major

- SVI "lightened" Slide
- Shuemann .355 Ultimatch AET bull barrel
- SVI skinny frame
- SVI Grips
- Limcat Magwell
- Brazos Custom Trigger group 2#
- STI short trigger
- STI drilled and tapped mag release
- Shooters Connection Mag button
- C More Serendipity
- Bedell Custom Blast Shield
- Bedell Custom 7 Port Compensator

SVIfinal002.jpg

old picture shows the slide lightening and popples:

sv02.jpg

Thanks Ari and Bill for the great recommends!
I've already sent emails off to both JPL and Major Nyne for quotes.
Switching to 9mm would mean dumping my dies and the 1000 pieces of brand new .38 SuperComp brass sitting in my cabinet - ouch!
I'll keep you posted on how things develop.
Thanks again.
Dave K.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top