JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does every kind of judge in America take an oath that includes a pledge to "support and defend", or "support", or "preserve and protect" the U.S. Constitution?

According to US Code, all federal employees take an oath that includes "support and defend".

US Code HERE describes a more relaxed federal Judicial oath.

Scotus justices take two oaths: the federal employee oath and a separate judicial oath. SCOTUS link. Or they may take a combined oath that includes both the "support-defend" and the "under" provisions.

At the state level, the court system is more expansive and variable. I looked at the U.S. Constitution element of judicial oaths in Oregon ("support"), Texas ("preserve, protect, and defend"), California ("support and defend"), and New York ("support").

At the county and municipal level, the court system is even more expansive.

I could spend a few days compiling every State and local oath into a list. Or I could ask around. ;)

Does anyone here know whether it is possible to hold office as a judge or justice at any level of government in America without first taking an oath that says at a minimum that the judge will "support the U.S. Constitution?"

Is there an authoritative source on the matter?

Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR