JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A good way to view the two schools of thought is that of a "Reloader" (primarily interested in quantity), and a "Handloader" (primarily interested in quality). This website and others are replete with queries from Reloaders (very experienced ones, producing fine ammo at astronomical rates of production) who bump into a snag that to a Handloader requires only basic (early obtained) knowledge to solve.

The best ammo crafters learned on a single stage press, nearly exhausted the range of possibilities and gained knowledge there, and finally enjoy the production rates available from a progressive, while armed with all the learned care, scrutiny and attention to detail to keep the machine running perfectly. NEVER would they even consider selling their single stage equipment.

I'm that second guy! Yeah.
It may not make much sense to the die hard progressive guys but I enjoy "flying" along with the RCBS single stage. After I've got shells ready to prime and charge I consider a fruitful session 200 rounds. Only doing handgun, so I'm not going through 30 round mags right and left at the range once or twice a week. I'm going more for acuracy and style at this point I think.

Like I said further up the thread, what would I do with the rest of the time if I was putting out 400-500 rounds/hr?

Mike

i started reloading with a progressive press (hornady lnl ez-ject) loading for 223, it takes alot more time for case prep but that is what we shoot the most so it seemed logical to start there. i recomend starting with a powder that cannot be hotloaded such as varget, you can easily see your charge inside the case also get yourself a powder cop die and a good beam scale such as the rcbs 505.
for lubing cases (bottleneck) the only case lube i think is worth a darn is rcbs case slick (spray bottle) dont use too much but enough to where it isnt putting to much strain on your press. too much case lube will result in dented cases, i havent had this problem with the case slick but i have with all other case lubes i have tried.
another suggestion (how i do it) if you are running a ap press, run your cases through and get them all primed and check all the primed cases make sure they are seated properly before running them back through again to load them.

make sure your area is well lit up so you can see your charge down in your case as you are loading them.
for loading manuals i like the (loadbook usa) they are only about 7$ and they focus only on one caliber, they have them in all calibers i think.

i tried a few different brands of dies but i have had the best luck with hornadys so i have gotten rid of all my other die sets and went strictly with hornady EXCEPT for the bullet puller die (rcbs) and crimp dies (lee)
also make sure to get yourself a good case guage, they help alot

here is a list of what i got to get started.
hornady lnl ap press
hornady 223 die set and shellplate #16
hornady cam-lock case trimmer and shellholder #16
hornady powder cop die
rcbs 5-0-5 scale
rcbs check weights for scale
rcbs bullet puller die w/ 22cal collet
hornady case tumbler
hornady primer pocket cleaner (small)
hornady primer pocket reamer (small)
rcbs chamfer/deburring tool
dillon 223 case guage
caliper

for 223 i just use the crimp in the seating die, i only use a crimp die for 45acp and 357mag

it was pretty spendy to get started but in the long run it saves alot

and a little later on i recomend a good chronograph so you can see what your ammo is doing.
this will get you setup for 223/5.56 then you will not need to much to move on to other calibers
at the start use components that you can find alot of published load data for.
here is one of my most used loads in 223
25gr varget
55gr fmj's hornady
cci 400 primers
loaded length of 2.24 50
we have alot of loads worked up for it now but that is the first one and it works very well for consistent velocities and accuracy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top