JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I recently started reloading. I took a free class given by Sportsman's Wharehouse. RCBS master reloading kit was $249.00 this weekend. I bought everything over a 5 month period and am now up and running. Just be careful and follow the "work up" rule. Everything doesn't have to be a hot load. My favorite load for the my 45 uses .3 grains above the start (1.5 grains less than the max)

Don't let this happen to you.

Did you do that??

I haven't loaded anywhere near max for my guns. I consult me Speer14 book AND have a print out from the powder maker siting right next to the book as a second reference. I have found that a minimum to middle charge shoots just fine for what I do, and figure the lighter the charge the less wear and tear on the gun.

Mike

I STRONGLY urge you to start with pistol caliber rounds,then 'step up' to bottle-necked rifle rounds.youi'll learn the basics,then add-on more knowledge when you decide to do rifle rounds.

get carbide dies for pistol ammo,no lubing required,saves lots of time.

Great advice here.

Another +1 on the Lyman Reloading Manual, although I started out with the Hornady.

Read the manuals, go slow and double check EVERYTHING!

That, or take John's class. If I'd had the option of having someone show me the basics way back when, I would have jumped on it in a second!

Suggestion; buy a good turret press instead of a single stage. They aren't too expensive and make things much easier as you only have to set each die up once. (until you change calibers)

Which ever type of press you decide on, look at RCBS and Lyman's reloading kits. I bought the Lyman set up used in the late 80's when a friend stepped up to a progressive. It came with everything I needed except dies, components and a good set of calipers. I still have it and use it when doing my hunting ammo.

Lee makes a great carbide pistol die, but I have no experience with the rest of their reloading tools.

Buy good quality stuff and you won't be disappointed.

I did not do that. I was reading about what would happen with an accidental double charge on a 45ACP. This was the result. One more reason not to drink or have distractions when reloading.

I won't repeat all the good info already given but I will add one thing - stick with the basics to start. In my 30 + years of reloading I have seen many new, 'gadgety' things come out and while some may offer advantages the price kills any real practicality. Two examples are digital scales and calipers. While I am a fan of technology I get a little 'thick' when I do not see any real advantage to it's application. I will admit however the Forster Co-Ax press is truly a unique design and as far as single stage reloading goes it is much faster than any of the typical, better known presses such as RCBS, Lee or Hornady. Nothing is without sacrifices and the Co-Ax does not have a very good priming system but I would look into a hand priming system anyway such as those offered by the big 'names'. The Co-Ax is also somewhat more expensive of a press than the others but If I would have known about it when I started out I would have given it hard consideration, knowing what I know now.

YOU HAVE A DILLON 6000 AND YOUR CRANKING OUT SOMEWHERE AROUND 400 ROUNDS PER HOUR NOW!!

Only 400/hour? Way too many coffee breaks if that's all. Or maybe you need more than 4 primer tubes. :):)

I put one of the SA Development Press Monitors on my 650 and the actual output in an hour is "scary". I used to just keep track by the number of filled primer tubes I used. Now I have an exact number I can read and when loading a batch of 9mm, actually got up to over 800 rounds in an hour. Fill the case feeder, load up the bullet tray, fill the primer tubes, fill the powder reservoir, Ben-Gay on the arm, and most important, bathroom break before your start. :);):);)

Mmmm, I was just throwing a number out there.LOL If I were loading THAT many rounds per hour, what would I do with all that extra time on those rainy winter days? I'll stay with the single stage for now though, I think.

I did watch a video on that RCBS turret press, I really liked the looks of that. Maybe in the future.

Your one sentence cracked me up Deadshot.........""Fill the case feeder, load up the bullet tray, fill the primer tubes, fill the powder reservoir, Ben-Gay on the arm, and most important, bathroom break before your start."" I thought dry lube was the way to go on those machines?

Mike

Thanks guys for all the great information. I appreciate it. So far it seems quite a few people are high on RCBS.

The RCBS press is fine,just get the redding or Hornady,or Lee dies.I think that Rcbs has slipped on the quality of their dies

But the Rock chucker will show you the steps.Then when you learn what is going on,you may want to buy a progressive press.

Biggest problem I have seen is delegating the time to do it.You really need to take the time to do all the steps,with out interruption.

Good luck

I've never understood the idea behind starting with a single stage press.

I'm very glad I started with a Dillon Square Deal.

The only caution I would give is that humans are creatures of habit. Keep that in mind, and form your habits deliberately, and then make the equipment conform to your habits.

Specifically, if you learn on an automatic advance press, don't switch to a manual advance. One day, one way or another, you'll fall back on habit. Nothing wrong with that, if you bought your equipment with your habit in mind.

Only 400/hour? Way too many coffee breaks if that's all. Or maybe you need more than 4 primer tubes. :):)

I put one of the SA Development Press Monitors on my 650 and the actual output in an hour is "scary". I used to just keep track by the number of filled primer tubes I used. Now I have an exact number I can read and when loading a batch of 9mm, actually got up to over 800 rounds in an hour. Fill the case feeder, load up the bullet tray, fill the primer tubes, fill the powder reservoir, Ben-Gay on the arm, and most important, bathroom break before your start. :);):);)

How many .223/hour can you do?

The RCBS press is fine,just get the redding or Hornady,or Lee dies.I think that Rcbs has slipped on the quality of their dies

But the Rock chucker will show you the steps.Then when you learn what is going on,you may want to buy a progressive press.

Biggest problem I have seen is delegating the time to do it.You really need to take the time to do all the steps,with out interruption.

Good luck

I'm doing only handgun.

The only thing I feel I must do without interuption is CHARGE the primed shells and SEAT the bullets. I've decided it is not a problem to reprime a short time before I load, using sealed containers. I also prefer to decap/size/expand all at the same time. The shells don't come up onto the bench UNTIL they are ready to reprime and load.

Usually there is enough time between tumbling brass and putting a finished round in a box that it feels like very little time and expense was put out for my hand loaded ammo! My own mental method I suppose.

Mike

How many .223/hour can you do?

So far the best I've done with .223 is around 500/hour (based on the number of primer tubes I went through in an hour session. More time used in refilling powder and case feeder with the .223.

This, of course, is not taking into consideration the de-priming/sizing/trimming I do as a separate operation. The "press monitor" has a pre-set warning when you exceed 1200 rounds per hour (it thinks you're going too fast) and I've got it twice during the "case prep" phase. No powder or primers to refill, and to keep the arm from getting sore, I switch from right to left periodically. I certainly wouldn't want to go that fast while hand placing bullets like I do. I'd probably have a case growing out of my thumb:s0001:

These are peak speeds and certainly not sustainable but they do show the capability of the machine.

I agree with starting on a single stage. I've never seen an advantage to progressives unless you go through a LOT of rounds. I don't shoot enough to justify a progressive right now. Although I wouldn't turn one down if the price was right. It would be nice for handgun rounds, but I make do with 2 single stage presses and a RCBS chargemaster.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

A big thank you to all that supplied some good information. i will consider it all while looking into different avenues for my wants and needs. It is nice to see a good group of people opening up with their knowledge, as I find some people wont say a word about what they know.

It is nice to see a good group of people opening up with their knowledge, as I find some people wont say a word about what they know.

You must be speaking of fishing websites? I think the main reason I gravitated to this website was the welcoming attitude fire arm enthusiests have toward their fellow enthusiests.

Mike

A big thank you to all that supplied some good information. i will consider it all while looking into different avenues for my wants and needs. It is nice to see a good group of people opening up with their knowledge, as I find some people wont say a word about what they know.

Just remember, even those who start with a progressive, usually end up with a single stage sooner or later. Might as well make a single stage your first choice then load a few boxes each session while "thinking about it". The savings on ammo might help you buy a better progressive than you might if you just went out and bought one as your first press.

It is nice to see a good group of people opening up with their knowledge, as I find some people wont say a word about what they know.

Opinions being what they are and everyone having one, there is usually never a shortage of how someone new should get started when it comes to reloading. And for 99% of the people I talk to or read their posts it always amazes me how whatever they think is the best method just so happens to be the same equipment they are running, imagine that.
Oh, and I would also venture to say reloaders as a whole are a very opinionated group as well.

There are pros and cons to every type of press out there. There are also some fundamental questions you need to ask yourself before even starting to think about getting into reloading.

The people responding here are probably all capable of reloading and are currently reloading. To assume that just because I can reload anybody else can because it is just that easy is how guns get blown up in the picture above. Contrary to popular belief it does take some mechanical aptitude and some (the more the better) attention to detail.

This is another reason why I enjoy teaching my class. It gives anyone new an opportunity to see these different types of presses and go through all the steps of reloading to see if it truly is something they want to pursue or find out that ‘screw that, this is way to much work and I'm just gonna buy ammo'

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top