JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I really want to be 100% clear about FTF deals in Oregon. I have been trying to search for a definite answer and I know some of you on here can help me out.

When doing a FTF deal between two Oregon residents for a handgun, I know a bill of sale is involved as well as looking at each others' Oregon ID's. Anything else? Is it required to register it? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

There is no required paperwork unless you make the transaction at a gun show (then OR law requires a background check). BOS and ID checks are optional (recommended but optional none the less).

Thank you for the reply. It just seems a little too easy. So it does not need to be registered, correct? Will a cop ever haggle someone over a unregistered gun? Do they ever check serial numbers or ask for paperwork? Ive always wondered about this and never had any disclosure regarding the topic..

There is no gun registration in OR/WA or federal so there is no paperwork to file as long as you are going in state to in state (OR to OR or WA to WA).

If you have an encounter with a LEO they may choose to run the serial number off your gun. If it turns up as stolen property you could run into some issues. That's where a BOS is helpful.

The only paperwork you are required to carry with your firearms are a CCL (and only if concealed/loaded) or your tax stamp on NFA items. Our freedoms have been trumped in many area's already. This just happens to not be one of them.

This is layed out in the Gun Control Act of 1968 section 922 (prohibited acts) sub section 5. There's a link on the BATF site to the pdf.

Thank you for the reply. It just seems a little too easy. So it does not need to be registered, correct? Will a cop ever haggle someone over a unregistered gun? Do they ever check serial numbers or ask for paperwork? Ive always wondered about this and never had any disclosure regarding the topic..

There is no way for you to "register" a firearm in Oregon. As stated above nothing at all is required other than it's a good idea be sure they look over 18 and are Oregon residents.

Ok, thanks everyone. I have purchased a handgun and several rifles during FTF private party transactions. I always get a bill-of-sale with all of my purchases and was never really "for sure" if that was all I needed. I recently made a few purchases at gun stores and did the background check and all that fun stuff. It just got me thinking about my private party purchases and whether or not I purchased them correctly.

your good. if your worried one could be stolen it may be worth a call to the OSP hotline to check. Its a volunteer program and you run no risk in doing so

FICS Instant Check (And Stolen Gun Checks) 1-800-432-5059

Not sure about WA

I've used the OSP line a couple times after private transactions. They will ask for your name and address and if you have the gun in your possession (for obvious reasons!). But it only takes about 2 minutes.

When I did a FTF purchase we put our our CHL's and driver's licenses side by side and we each took photos of all four of them.
Plus we did a Bill of Sale, using the template that came from this site.

You can't do any private ftf sales accros state line. Please read this guide from our classified section
<broken link removed>

Most people are confused about the OR to WA and vice versa private sales but this sums it up really well. The only item you can buy accross state line, in WA if you're from Oregon, is a long gun from a dealer/ffl holder. Everything else requires a transfer.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top