JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I filled out a form 4473 for a pistol on Saturday. I am interested in buying another handgun from the same FFL but want to avoid having a form 3310.4 generated by FFL. My plan is to pick up the first pistol on Wed or Thursday.

What is the best suggested schedule that I could use to purchase the new handgun and avoid having a form 3310.4 be required, but also beat the Dec 8th deadline for picking up the second handgun?

Is the 5 business day time period weekdays only?

Do they count the time period that form 4473s are filled out in or when the firearms are picked up?

Last Edited:
Looks like this might answer the business day question.

A business day for purposes of reporting multiple sales of pistols or revolvers is a day that a licensee conducts business pursuant to the license, regardless of whether state offices are open. The application of the term "business day" is, therefore, distinguishable from the term "business day" as used in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) context.

Example: A licensee conducts business only on Saturdays and Sundays, days on which state offices are not open. The licensee sells a pistol to an unlicensed person on a Saturday. If that same unlicensed person acquires another handgun the next day (Sunday), the following Saturday or Sunday, or the Saturday after that, the reporting requirement would be triggered, the subsequent acquisition of a pistol or revolver would have to be reported on a Form 3310.4 by the close of the day upon which the second or subsequent pistol or revolver was sold.

The FFL is open from Monday's through Saturdays and closed Sundays.

Last Edited:
Here is business day definition for NICS purposes.

What does a "business day" mean for the NICS requirements?

For the purposes of the NICS background check requirements, a business day is defined as a day on which state offices are open in the state in which the proposed firearm transaction is to take place.

If I pick up my first handgun on Wednesday Nov 30th and fill out a form 4473 for second handgun on Saturday Dec 3rd, that would be 6 business days between filling out form 4473s. My second firearm would then be ready to pick up the following Wednesday Dec 7th which would just beat the Dec 8th deadline. This should avoid the generation of a form 3310.4 by FFL?

Last Edited:
I wonder if I've had a few of those filed on me lately. Although 3 different FFLs have been involved and if it's only multiple handguns from the same FFL within 5 days, maybe not. On the plus side, if you do multiple background checks in a day, you get a $5 discount on the OSP fee, even if different FFLs! Apparently it'll come up as already run that day. Don't know if that means the second background check is an automatic approval or what as all mine have been instants so far.

So if you do get one of these filed on you, what's the concern, other than being on another list? Just trying to understand as there have likely been a ton of Oregonians added to that list recently. I also wonder if non rifle and non pistol classed lowers fit into this. Guessing not as it seems specific to handguns.

I wonder if I've had a few of those filed on me lately. Although 3 different FFLs have been involved and if it's only multiple handguns from the same FFL within 5 days, maybe not. On the plus side, if you do multiple background checks in a day, you get a $5 discount on the OSP fee, even if different FFLs! Apparently it'll come up as already run that day. Don't know if that means the second background check is an automatic approval or what as all mine have been instants so far.

So if you do get one of these filed on you, what's the concern, other than being on another list? Just trying to understand as there have likely been a ton of Oregonians added to that list recently. I also wonder if non rifle and non pistol classed lowers fit into this. Guessing not as it seems specific to handguns.
It's not a big deal, a little extra work for FFL and getting put on a "list".

I just don't like being added to a "list" if it can be avoided.

It's not a big deal, a little extra work for FFL and getting put on a "list".

I just don't like being added to a "list" if it can be avoided.
Sure!

However I'm completely mehhhh on "this one". Done a bunch of multiples now. Because it was convenient for me.

Bunch of return trips scheduled so many days apart (multiplied by each multiple above) would have been pretty darned inconvenient. For me.

Since you'll be at the FFL anyways it sounds? Tomato / potato.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top