JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello I wanted to check out Gifford Pinochet national forest for camping on July 4th I'd hate to go out there with my gf, my dogs and my gear not knowing what to expect or have. Their web site is confusing me.

Looks like Trail #171 Indian race track is the closest.

It's says I'll need a self issue permit that's free that ill get it at the trail head, assuming in the parking lot area. Then when I went into dispersed camping under permit required it says yes. Is this a different permit and if so where do I get it?

While hiking the trail and I decide I wanna make camp, do I walk off the trail as far away as possible so no one will bother us (within the regulations of distances from a water source etc)?

Can I purchase maps there or will it be easier to buy it on line and print it off?

Parking, will there be a issuing permit at the parking lot or will I have to go else where prior to obtain and parking pass or is it just park your car there and unload?

The area you are going to is called Indian Heaven, and its a real nice place that's often overlooked. Are you car camping or backpacking? If backpacking look for a book by Don and Roberta Lowe that shows all the trails in the Southern Washington area. There is a neat little lake high up in a caldera that's worth the look see.

Since you are traveling with dogs, be aware that this is bear country, even though they are on the small side compared to what you find in the Rockies or parts north. Keep and eye on the puppies, or they might come running to you for safety with mama bear right behind them. I've only had bear encounters during huckleberry season, and they were more interested in the berry than me. maybe I just smelled bad to them?

Yup, failure to properly manage your dookie could leave you like these guys:
image1full.jpg
Followed by a visit from this guy:
mcginley.jpg

How did we get to the point where we needed a permit at all?

By the way...

It is the Gifford Pinchot (First Chief of the Forest Service) National Forest.

Not Pinochet (I think he might have been a commie dictator).

Have fun and avoid the poison ivy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads