Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Questions about Dispersed camping at Gifford Pinochet national forest

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BattleReadyBunny, Jun 30, 2014.

1. BattleReadyBunny

BattleReadyBunny Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA Member

Hello I wanted to check out Gifford Pinochet national forest for camping on July 4th I'd hate to go out there with my gf, my dogs and my gear not knowing what to expect or have. Their web site is confusing me.

Looks like Trail #171 Indian race track is the closest.

It's says I'll need a self issue permit that's free that ill get it at the trail head, assuming in the parking lot area. Then when I went into dispersed camping under permit required it says yes. Is this a different permit and if so where do I get it?

While hiking the trail and I decide I wanna make camp, do I walk off the trail as far away as possible so no one will bother us (within the regulations of distances from a water source etc)?

Can I purchase maps there or will it be easier to buy it on line and print it off?

Parking, will there be a issuing permit at the parking lot or will I have to go else where prior to obtain and parking pass or is it just park your car there and unload?

2. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

The area you are going to is called Indian Heaven, and its a real nice place that's often overlooked. Are you car camping or backpacking? If backpacking look for a book by Don and Roberta Lowe that shows all the trails in the Southern Washington area. There is a neat little lake high up in a caldera that's worth the look see.

Since you are traveling with dogs, be aware that this is bear country, even though they are on the small side compared to what you find in the Rockies or parts north. Keep and eye on the puppies, or they might come running to you for safety with mama bear right behind them. I've only had bear encounters during huckleberry season, and they were more interested in the berry than me. maybe I just smelled bad to them?

BattleReadyBunny likes this.
  3. BattleReadyBunny

Thanks! Backpacking of course. My gf and I both have a can if pepper spray per person. And I will be carrying my G19 and Ar due to it being a national forest, I will be allowed to open carry in worse case situation. But thanks again, we'll be extra careful with our food and our trash.

4. 3MTA3

BattleReadyBunny likes this.
  5. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

Remember, only bears can poop in the woods and leave it, you have to pack it out. And no camp fires, so don't forget your camp stove.

6. 3MTA3

Yup, failure to properly manage your dookie could leave you like these guys:
    image1full.jpg
    Followed by a visit from this guy:
    mcginley.jpg

7. BDA.45

BDA.45 oregon Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Uhhhhhh, are going for sexy or scary here???? If it's sexy my gf will burn down the forest...........

clearconscience likes this.
  8. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Yeah please let us know how it goes. I love camping and miss it so much!
    Can't wait till my baby is a little older and I can can take her hiking, fishing, camping, shooting ; )

9. Sabertooth

Don't wait to long, I looks like the tree huggers want to make it all illegal.

10. BattleReadyBunny

Looking into it more I'm really interested in Thomas Lake #111. And going to try for one of the designated camping spots by the lake.

Do I get my "Dispersed Camping Permit" from the trailhead like the Wilderness permit, or are they one in the same?

11. 3MTA3

How did we get to the point where we need a trail lawyer to figure out camping permits?

12. Kid@Heart

Kid@Heart Vancouver, USA Cynic Lifetime Supporter Diamond Supporter

How did we get to the point where we needed a permit at all?

By the way...

It is the Gifford Pinchot (First Chief of the Forest Service) National Forest.

Not Pinochet (I think he might have been a commie dictator).

Have fun and avoid the poison ivy.

3MTA3 likes this.
  13. Sabertooth

You will also need a copy of your colledge degree in Tree Hugging. And also a DEQ permit if your dog poops in the woods.

clearconscience likes this.