Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Questions about buying a gun in OR as an out of state resident

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by pdxtj, Apr 14, 2012.

1. pdxtj

pdxtj PDX New Member

Hello,
    Recently moved to PDX from MT to work temporarily. Thinking about getting something to shoot on the weekends. Do I have to have an OR DL to purchase a gun in OR? Would I have to go though an FFL? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

You must be a resident of the state you are buying in to buy a pistol. You can buy a rifle out of state from a FFL, but NOT, I believe, from a non-FFL. -Edited- Misread state, never mind the other drivel-

3. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

As pointed out you have to be a Resident. The long gun is only for adjacent states if the states both agree. If you are still a MT resident I think you are out of luck. Unless you want to buy one here, ship it to Montana, receive there, then transport it yourself back.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  4. pdxtj

pdxtj PDX New Member

So I have to be a resident of OR, copy that. Thank you.

5. pdxtj

pdxtj PDX New Member

6. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

7. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

8. cetme

cetme oregon city Member

its not illegal for someone to loan you a firearm.............

9. Cougfan2

Curious to know where you are working temporarily? There are many members here who might be willing to host you for a range day from time to time. We're mostly a pretty friendly bunch.

10. pdxtj

pdxtj PDX New Member

I didn't mean to stir up any trouble. I was just posting the link incase some one else did a quick search like I did for 'non-resident'.

11. pdxtj

pdxtj PDX New Member

I work in the entertainment industry. Working on a TV show that is shooting out here. I appreciate the invite, if I ever get a free weekend, I might have to take you up on that.

12. Cougfan2

Hey, no problem. I just wouldn't want to see you get into any trouble for an illegal firearms transaction. The ATF has no sense of humor. ;)

Enjoy the PDX area, and if you ever get a free weekend shoot me a PM and I might be able to host you at my range.

13. pdxtj

pdxtj PDX New Member

I already have enough trouble with the alcohol and the tobacco, I don't need any with the firearms. I appreciate the offer of the range also.

14. andreys21

andreys21 Milwaukie, OR Active Member

I think if you can get an Oregon ID, that counts as being a resident. How long are you in Oregon for?

15. NCW Ray

NCW Ray Sunny Eastern Washington Active Member

Here's the ATF's definition of Residency.

Q: What constitutes residency in a State?

The State of residence is the State in which an individual is present; the individual also must have an intention of making a home in that State. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one State and the member’s permanent duty station is in a nearby State to which he or she commutes each day, then the member has two States of residence and may purchase a firearm in either the State where the duty station is located or the State where the home is maintained. An alien who is legally in the United States is considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in that State and has resided in that State continuously for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale of the firearm. See also Item 5, “Sales to Aliens in the United States,” in the General Information section of this publication.

[18 U.S.C. 921(b), 922(a) (3), and 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.11]

16. TCOV

TCOV OLYMPIC PENINSULA Active Member

Just to make the answer simple under federal law you can buy a long arm from a ffl dealer in any state as long as it is not prohibited by either state. They do not have to be adjacent. I do not know Oregon laws.