JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, I a new to buying firearms so please don't laugh me off the board for asking a question. Hopefully this is in the right topic area.

If and when you (or I) buy a used firearm is it a law to register it? I always thought it was not. I do not wish to have the government know any more about me and my business then need be. If you were the one selling what was registered under your name (if you bought it new) do you have to fill anything out?

thanks for your time.

Not sure where Liberalville is but in the great state of Oregon there is no law requiring the registration of firearms unless it's something like a silencer or a fully auto machine gun. When purchasing a firearm from a licensed firearm dealer they are required to do a background check prior to selling you the firearm. Although this is not a "registration" per say, in reality that is exactly what it is as they are reporting to the government who you are and what firearm you purchased. In regards to private sales there is no requirement for a background check or registration as long as you have no reason to believe the person you are selling to is not legally able to own a firearm and then you would not be able to legally make that transaction. Also if by Liberalville you mean washington, you and I would not be able to make a transaction privately without going through a licensed FFL which would then require a background check.

I am fairly new to the firearm enthusiast world myself and I have found myself becoming addicted to it. I hope you enjoy your new hobby as much as I have. If by Liberalville, you mean Oregon, I would strongly urge you to purchase the book, Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws to help you get a better understanding of how tricky the laws regarding firearms can be. Also if you're going to be doing a lot of transporting, carrying, storing, and buying of firearms I strongly suggest getting your CCL license as well. Hope that helps.

Not sure where Liberalville is but in the great state of Oregon there is no law requiring the registration of firearms unless it's something like a silencer or a fully auto machine gun. When purchasing a firearm from a licensed firearm dealer they are required to do a background check prior to selling you the firearm. Although this is not a "registration" per say, in reality that is exactly what it is as they are reporting to the government who you are and what firearm you purchased. In regards to private sales there is no requirement for a background check or registration as long as you have no reason to believe the person you are selling to is not legally able to own a firearm and then you would not be able to legally make that transaction. Also if by Liberalville you mean washington, you and I would not be able to make a transaction privately without going through a licensed FFL which would then require a background check.

I am fairly new to the firearm enthusiast world myself and I have found myself becoming addicted to it. I hope you enjoy your new hobby as much as I have. If by Liberalville, you mean Oregon, I would strongly urge you to purchase the book, Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws to help you get a better understanding of how tricky the laws regarding firearms can be. Also if you're going to be doing a lot of transporting, carrying, storing, and buying of firearms I strongly suggest getting your CCL license as well. Hope that helps.

Thank you for the reply and all the info. I actually do have a CCL, but haave no weapon at this time other than a shotgun handed down. I am interested in purchasing more though.

I put liberalville because that is what I consider the city of Portland or Mult. county to be, and it was an attempt at humor more than anything. I hope that does not offend you or any others on here if your political leanings are different from mine.

again, I appreciate the info.

Ok, I a new to buying firearms so please don't laugh me off the board for asking a question. Hopefully this is in the right topic area.

If and when you (or I) buy a used firearm is it a law to register it? I always thought it was not. I do not wish to have the government know any more about me and my business then need be. If you were the one selling what was registered under your name (if you bought it new) do you have to fill anything out?

thanks for your time.

I a new to buying firearms so please don't laugh me off the board for asking a question.=== No one will laugh at a new enthusiest.

Hopefully this is in the right topic area.=== NO, it should be in the general firearms discussion but close enough for me as I cant move it.

If and when you (or I) buy a used firearm is it a law to register it?== No not if it is a private sale of general rifles,shotguns or handguns,and not a full auto, SBR (short barrel rifle), or anything else that would require a tax stamp. That would be (hopefully) stated by the seller. Please research what the ATF requires to be registered before buying something exotic like those.

If you were the one selling what was registered under your name (if you bought it new) do you have to fill anything out?== Some people wish to fill out a Bill Of Sale when doing this but it is not required. All these are for are a CYA if it ends up being used illegally by the buyer and the police come calling, they just have info that they sold it to you and no longer own it.

I put liberalville because that is what I consider the city of Portland or Mult. county to be, and it was an attempt at humor more than anything. I hope that does not offend you or any others on here if your political leanings are different from mine.

I wasn't trying to be smart I just wanted to give you good info. If you had meant California and then went out and followed my advice you may have gotten yourself in deep do do. What are your plans for concealed carry?

I wasn't trying to be smart I just wanted to give you good info. If you had meant California and then went out and followed my advice you may have gotten yourself in deep do do. What are your plans for concealed carry?

no I know, and you didn't come across that way at all. No worries.:s0155:

I want to find something, but have not got that far down the road yet. I will have to find something that works with big hands. I have ape hands and feet.:s0114:

I think the first thing I am interested in is a shotgun, I like the remmington 870, have seen many positive posts about them and from the little bit of research I have done the are a good and reliable shotgun. I really am not interested in buying from a store because of reasons mentioned above, so I will just need to keep my eyes and ears open.

I have a Mossberg 590 and I love it. It is for Home Defense mainly. But the important thing when trying to find a firearm, get what you want and/or am comfortable with.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top