Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Question?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by lowly monk, Dec 25, 2013.

1. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

I had a used dryer sheet stuck to my jeans this morning and wondered could it be used for cleaning inside barrels. Or is it to harsh. It seems OK. Any impute?

2. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

then your barrels will smell april fresh :cool:

3. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

Hmm. Dryer sheet is either natural or synthetic cloth, barrel is steel. I'm thinking the barrel is tougher. Now if there are some oddball chemicals still in the sheet, it might not be a good thing, but if you're determined to use them, you could save a bunch up and soak/wash them.

I generally wait until my underwear gets worn out, then one final wash before I start using them for patches/rags.

Dryer sheets, I use to catch the dust from the tumbler. My brass smells spring fresh.

elsie

4. Darkker

Darkker Mesa, Wa Active Member

Synthetic or not, anything can wear away at steel.
    I wouldn't suggest using them personally, but that is because I think they have zero absorption properties. Patches should absorb and imprint with fouling, not bullmoose things out of the way.
    $0.02

5. timetoreload

timetoreload Federal Way New Member

Not knowing exactly what the dryer sheet is coated in, I would be concerned that it might encourage the metal to rust. Loosely woven polyester is not going to be very effective at cleaning out the barrel though.