JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To be fair, some manufacturers went out of their way to make it a PITA to work on your own car. I mean really, a car without a tensioner for the serpentine belt? Or the fun ones where you gotta get under a seat to get to the fuel filter (supposedly, never seen that one myself).

Its almost as if they want you to bring it to their mechanics. o_O

They don't, part of the sham. People working on their own cars keeps them from being able to charge inflated costs to do basic maintenance. I think the analogy was simply to express having money to purchase doesn't translate to experience to use.

They don't, part of the sham. People working on their own cars keeps them from being able to charge inflated costs to do basic maintenance. I think the analogy was simply to express having money to purchase doesn't translate to experience to use.
I'm a cheap bastard, I won't even buy new unless I get into my own hotshot business. I certainly don't wanna pay the dealership mechanics for stuff you can do at home. o_O

Then again, more money you have the easier it is just to pay someone else to do it.

One piece mount or not back in the day rifles came with sights so some mounted their scopes high to look under the scope and use the sights. Jeff Cooper championed one as a survival or "scout" rifle.

See through mounts are the highwaters/pocket protectors of the gun world. There is no use for them. Use the scope, if its broke, take it off. If I were a betting man, more Marlin 336s wore those things than any other gun.

My bolt actions, for the most part, are chambered in things that generate 20+ Lbs of recoil energy. Some nearly double that. My scope mounts and rings need to be strong. I'm sure some of those AR type QD mounts strong, but many don't.

See through mounts are the highwaters/pocket protectors of the gun world. There is no use for them. Use the scope, if its broke, take it off. If I were a betting man, more Marlin 336s wore those things than any other gun.

My bolt actions, for the most part, are chambered in things that generate 20+ Lbs of recoil energy. Some nearly double that. My scope mounts and rings need to be strong. I'm sure some of those AR type QD mounts strong, but many don't.

Agreed.

Oh and @Stomper was looking for options for one of his rifles. Maybe this will help him decide.

Did anyone ever consider, maybe, just MAYBE, that's what the owner "had" at the time he got his scope?
And he's aware of how the scope "needs" to be mounted for ideal bore height?

I won't deny ever trying it.

You're all speculating a part of today's forum drama :rolleyes:

Did anyone ever consider, maybe, just MAYBE, that's what the owner "had" at the time he got his scope?
And he's aware of how the scope "needs" to be mounted for ideal bore height?

I won't deny ever trying it.

You're all speculating a part of today's forum drama :rolleyes:

Maybe, but I've seen people that have close to $2000 in rifle and glass using them.

I can't defend the cantilever mount shown other than it was done to hastily get a brand new rifle out to the range. However if it was a high quality "normal" one piece mount that was a little high it might be done intentionally.

The idea would be that if the rifle has an adjustable height buttpad then one can get the bore inline with the shoulder of the shooter for a "flatter" recoil. George Banke of Mirage ULR speaks highly of this strategy. I haven't had the luxury of experimenting with this other than with gas operated AR's.

Generally I'd go for having my scope as close to the bore as possible... like with my .308 RAR hunting rifle that's damned accurate for the first three shots (or so)... which when hunting, needing more than 1-2 shots means you aren't doing it right... and usually I'm not wearing ear-pro which facilitates a nice high cheek-weld.
301A9BB0-58D7-4DA5-9D3F-E1E066A61693.jpeg

With my Tikka I opted for a Badger Ordinance 20MOA one-piece mount that's the lowest they make with 20MOA (that I could find), which is about 1/2" higher over the bore than it could be. Since this is primarily a bench gun, it (so far) actually works out better while wearing electronic ear-pro having a wee bit of a lower cheek-weld just below my cheek-bone as opposed to just under my eye-socket and fighting my electronic ear-pro against the stock.
65DF8F44-8407-4035-A242-22277EAFC11A.jpeg

I'm about 40 rounds down the pipe with the Tikka set up like it is, so you could say it's still in the "break in" phase and so far it's settling it pretty nicely...
F56274D6-4B50-4FA2-9280-B4B0711499A0.jpeg

Last Edited:
Ive seen this more and more lately. High mounted one piece mounts on top of a rail mount.

I don't get it?

I was always taught the lower to the bore, the less amount of waisted upward adjustment loss as well as least amount of adjustment needed.

Is it so you can swap from gun to gun?
In my case it is so the objective bell does not hit the barrel. A 54mm bell is too large to clear the barrel uning most mounts. There are extra high mounts, but they cost more than using two standard mounts. The hight mounts are going for as much as $130 in some cases depending on the brand.

I asked a guy at a range about that very thing. He said it was to make it "natural" for him to align his eye to the scope, since his rifle did not have any way to adjust the comb height where his cheek rests. The comb did look higher than any rifle I have. The alternative, he said, was to have the stock cut down, but he didn't want to ruin the nice walnut figure.

I didn't read the thread.

I have built more than a few rifles and two piece rings are entirely reliant on a straight action, straight scope base, proper machining. Etc. A one piece mount tolerates slight imperfections that a two piece ring does not (even if you don't notice it's wrong.)

One piece mounts have their fair share of issues and can indeed need lapping, contrary to popular belief. Ask me how I know. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top