JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
top-shots-100219-10.jpg

Is this a photo? OR digital art?
Should it come with a disclaimer - indicating in broadstrokes what may have been manipulated?

Even in camera, you can apply some settings - example film simulation can affect saturation/color.

In the era of deep fakes, I am going to assume all images are digital art unless signed otherwise.

What do you think?

View attachment 621494

Should it come with a disclaimer - indicating in broadstrokes what may have been manipulated?

Even in camera, you can apply some settings - example film simulation can affect saturation/color.

In the era of deep fakes, I am going to assume all images are digital art unless signed otherwise.

What do you think?
That would depend on what it's being used for. Is it just for art purposes? Or is it for a news article? I think context will matter for this distinction.

View attachment 621494

What do you think?
This is my profession and I have spoken on this subject many times at conventions and round tables.

EVERY PHOTO IS ART ALL THE TIME.

No exceptions.

You can use them to help make decisions but they are always a representation of a thing they ARE NOT TRUTH AND NEVER HAVE BEEN.

just a couple points.

The photo is one view of a thing by its nature it excludes all other views of that thing. If I take a picture of the race car I am not taking a picture of the view behind me. That choice I make in what I take the photo of, is censoring everything else out.

You only see what I want you to see.

I can choose how a photo is lit or shadowed. I can make OJ look sinister or friendly.

I can crop the view just so, to make a subject look attached to the scene or floating in it.

And that is just in camera withou special effects of which there are many.

A film negative tells a story. It is not truth. Once the image is digital the sky's the limit.

Everything you see as an image is just the story the photographer is trying to tell. Always remember that. They may not try to deceive but they are editorializing every single time they click the button.

Don't try to find truth where there never has been truth.

This is my profession and I have spoken on this subject many times at conventions and round tables.

EVERY PHOTO IS ART ALL THE TIME.

No exceptions.

You can use them to help make decisions but they are always a representation of a thing they ARE NOT TRUTH AND NEVER HAVE BEEN.

just a couple points.

The photo is one view of a thing by its nature it excludes all other views of that thing. If I take a picture of the race car I am not taking a picture of the view behind me. That choice I make in what I take the photo of, is censoring everything else out.

You only see what I want you to see.

I can choose how a photo is lit or shadowed. I can make OJ look sinister or friendly.

I can crop the view just so, to make a subject look attached to the scene or floating in it.

And that is just in camera withou special effects of which there are many.

A film negative tells a story. It is not truth. Once the image is digital the sky's the limit.

Everything you see as an image is just the story the photographer is trying to tell. Always remember that. They may not try to deceive but they are editorializing every single time they click the button.

Don't try to find truth where there never has been truth.
This x 1000.

This was my profession in film days and most people fail to realize that everything done digitally (just about regarding photos) has roots in the darkroom.

Photos can be used to tell a story - and that story could be very true. It could also be very false.

And regarding ANY photo you see of the nighttime sky/stars/planets/aurora/galaxy/etc...yea that bubblegum has been heavily manipulated to bring those things out of the image.

Sure makes for impressive shots ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads