JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,
I have a 22 Marlin rifle bolt action Model 781 that I have owned since the 80s. I would like to sell it but don't know the value or the best place to sell it. Was wondering if anyone could help me with some info.
Thanks!

:huh:

DSCF0071.jpg

I have one paid almost $100 for it a couple of years ago. I would take yours at $60 to $75 depending on how much damage to the
front of the stock

Thanks for your quick reply. I assume when you say damage to the stock you mean the wood. Sorry I am out of touch with guns having not shot one in 20+ years. There is no damage to the wood, there is a place by the plate that probably needs refinishing but thats about it. There is some black "paint" rubbed off by the trigger. It is not in mint-condition, but in my opinion it is in excellent condition for its age. My dad is a gun enthusiast and collector and he taught me how to shoot on it, as well as how to clean it after every shoot which I did. I still have the cleaning kit that I could sell with it. If that's all it's worth, does that mean it's not a good "collectible"? I know they weren't expensive to begin with but it is a nice looking rifle. It has engraving on it. Thanks for your offer, I will think about it and get back to you shortly.

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0073.jpg

The market is flooded with .22 rifles, everyone already has one, probably the most plentiful rifle platform in the world, you can get a new one for $150.

Yours looks nice and I still think $100 is reasonable.

Thanks for the extra pictures I could not see the carvings. I am no expert but I believe "collectable" has a lot to do with
rarity and these are not rare. It is a very nice rifle. I would teach my Grandson to shoot with it and I would pay $100 for it

I'd Google "Marlin 781" and see what comes up. I think I have seen them on the Marlin forums for 70-130ish prices. You can post it on the classifieds here and see what happens. If it's in as good of shape as it looks in the photo, I'd be tempted to take it for $100, but I can't do anything until after the 1st.

I'm going to be obnoxious and disagree with some here. That rifle is so much nicer than a similar new one you could buy (nicer wood, better polish, all metal, etc.) in the price range, that I wouldn't take less than $150 for it.

A similar situation exists with really nice older Ruger 10/22's. The new ones don't have the wood quality, there's plastic, the finish is rough... I'd pay $189 on sale at Bi Mart for a new one, or $250 for a mint one that's 20 - 30 years old.

$.02

I bought one of those from a member here. It was made in '84 and looked like it was right out-of-the-box new. Paid $140 for it with a scope. I'd say $80-120 is a good range due to the nice looking stock.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top