JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's odd. Back in 2002, when I bought my Franken Ruger Super Redhawk in .357Mag*, I was doned 500 nickel cases. After a LOT of reloading - remembering that I only shoot 158gr FN lead bullets over 6.5gr of Bullseye, I find that I now have just 494 left....

I put it down to gentle loads, but most people I talk to here seem to want loads that temporarily alter the fabric of Space-Time.
Gentle loads don't require a serious roll crimp. You are often able to just straighten out the flare and the bullets won't move.
I'm still using a lot of 200 that I've reloaded beyond count (it's at least 25, maybe 30) and it's down to about 150 now. Most are brass and each outing sees a split neck or two.
One of these days I'll start using my already loaded , once fired, lot of 500.. thanks, @ageingstudent. !!

Unless your firearm has a FULLY supported web that would be my primary fear of failure. Smiley faces on brass suck and are a big warning sign.

.45 Winchester magnum brass trimmed to .45 ACP length. The Win mag brass has a much stronger web.

The .451 Detonics had a longer case length to prevent being chambered in a standard .45 as without the proper springs etc. ... Your barrel and magazine will dictate the max loaded overall length.

If you insist on hot loading the .45 this loading manual may help.

Link to 451 Detonics load manual

If using this data pay attention to the cartridge's overall length. A shorter length may rapidly result in higher pressures. Using this data in standard .45 acp brass is not a good idea. These loads need the thicker web of the magnum brass. Blown webs are not fun. Don't ask me how I know. FWIW, the steel insert in the old Pachmayr 1911 grips was a good thing, better than splintered wood...

FWIW, I rarely push the envelope anymore, just not worth it to me.

I always thought the nickel plating was for extra corrosion resistance and to be "slicker" than brass so that it is less prone to feed issues (either in or out).

The ability to handle higher pressures wasn't in the marketing, as far as I've ever seen.

I always thought the nickel plating was for extra corrosion resistance and to be "slicker" than brass so that it is less prone to feed issues (either in or out).

The ability to handle higher pressures wasn't in the marketing, as far as I've ever seen.
The idea may come from a lot of +P duty ammo being plated. Easy to differentiate and resists leather and other corrosive agents.

While not necessarily relevant, I was under the impression that the nickel cases were less likely to corrode in the case of long term storage. Is this accurate? Also, allows for more consistency in feeding, unless I'm incorrect?

They are mostly for looks
With respect to modern, premium, pricey, fancy ammo like you can pay extra for from Federal and others, probably. But read below.

to be "slicker" than brass so that it is less prone to feed issues
This has been my impression. .38 Super, which was once thought to be a hot cartridge, was one of the first lines that used nickel plated brass to my memory. In order that it work more smoothly in the self-loading action.

But also in .38 Special and particularly .357 Magnum, which aren't self loaders but nickel plating makes extraction easier.

So in the matters above, the nickel plating originally had a functional purpose.

I'm with tac with respect to the durability of nickel plated brass. It will last well enough with moderate to middling loads. I've got some in .30-06 that has been loaded several times. I also have it in .223. I've never found it to be particularly fragile in .357 loads.

The idea may come from a lot of +P duty ammo being plated. Easy to differentiate and resists leather and other corrosive agents.
Plus they are kinda purdy and easier to clean and don't really need polish. They don't seem to last as long as a quality straight brass but heck I don't care If I pick them up for free. And yes they are kinda color coded you can put a different load in them and easily recognize the diff. I do keep some utility loads in the nickel plated because it's more resistant to corrosion.

Plus they are kinda purdy and easier to clean and don't really need polish. They don't seem to last as long as a quality straight brass but heck I don't care If I pick them up for free. And yes they are kinda color coded you can put a different load in them and easily recognize the diff.
Yes, they don't discolor or cake up carbon on their surface nearly as much as naked brass does. Much easier to clean.

Yes, they can serve a recognition factor. When I had .41 Magnums, both revolvers and a carbine, I loaded the carbine ammo in nickel plated brass. Because I loaded it a bit hotter and loaded in nickel cases, they were easily ID'd at a glance.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top