Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Question ref: Assault Rifle Definition

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by rhtwist, Sep 10, 2009.

1. rhtwist

rhtwist South Florida Member

Hello,
    I am writing to get confirmation or denial of what I thought the definition assault weapon was. I thought it was a semi-automatic and full automatic, or full automatic rifle of intermediate rifle caliber with interchangeable magazines able to take high capacity. If this is true all the talk of AWB both by the anti-gun crowd and our own general usage of the term is wrong. If so it I believe throws a negative and false view of a semi-rifles that happen to have pistol grips and maybe muzzle brakes, interchangeable magazines of higher caliber. Should we 2nd Amendment defenders and enthusiasts be using the term? Would seem self defeating if the original assumption is correct.
    rhtwist

2. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

This all started with the Clinton administration. What you have described as what the definition is...That is the US military definition of an assualt weapon. Thanx to mass pchycology(?) and the liberial news media... you tell a big enough lie to enough people enough times and they will believe it. the phrase "assualt weapon" has been POUNDED into the general public's mind that anything that looks mean, black and has a big mag is an assualt weapon. If you really want to get picky, I supose you can be assualted with a .22lr handgun.......Not to blow my own horn but I have been telling people this for at least 10 or 12 years. Seems like nobody wants to listen. It's frustrating!

3. krawl

krawl Oregon Member

Welcome to guns!! Politicians way too involved and muck things up.

4. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

Not all facial tissue is Klenex but oh well. I like to tell the antis they are paying homage to Hitler when they use the term assault rifle since he pretty much came up with it with Sturmgewehr.

5. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

use google here it is and it as as defined by the clinton ban of 94

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban

here is whats interesting

a ar15 with non collapsable stock and no flash hider or bayonet is not considered a assault weapon how ever ad a bayonet lug and it is

another thing had it not been for the internet many did not even know they were breaking a federal law during the ban as it made no sense i was at gun shows arguing with law abiding honest working citizens telling them they could not put a collapsable stock on their post 94 lowers

it may be better to call them sporting rifles . colt them selves stopped using the term ar15 and changed it to colt sporter for this reason

and btw
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

6. markw76

markw76 Portland/Moscow on the Willamette Member

The definition is whatever the government defines it as. They already define a machine gun so even a single part is considered one. They don't have to stick to a museum or expert definition.

That's why I'm glad to see the trend towards .22LR versions of EBRs. Further muddies the water so as to make the banners look sillier.

7. Huntbear

Huntbear Ellensburg, Wa. Member

I wonder when they are going to come after my "Assault Baseball bats"

8. markw76

Keep one in your vehicle without a cap, ball, and mitt and you'll find out. :D

9. rhtwist

Just to be clear. If you have an AK semi-auto rifle with detachable magazines, but no bayonet lug or flash suppressor, it is not an assault weapon? According to the current definition.
    rhtwist

Also would it not provide a more positive view of gun owners, if we ourselves used the terms correctly?

10. krawl

krawl Oregon Member

There is no "current definition" federally, some states thoug do still have laws on books.

11. SquackDaddy

SquackDaddy Marion County Member

In my opinion, there is no such thing as an "assault rifle". It is a misleading term coined by the liberal media used to describe a rifle that the anti-gunners think is "scary". If you, as a pro-gun representative of all of us gun lovers use this term, you are part of the problem.

I've never seen an evil gun. A rifle is incapable of 'assaulting' anyone by itself, and that includes 'evil' black rifles etc. If my AR-15 is a supposed 'assault rifle', then it must be defective, because it only punches paper, and the occasional sage rat/coyote.

We, as responsible gun owners should shun the term 'assault rifle', and use the correct term: Rifle!

P.S. Please don't call a shotgun a "shotty" lol

YMMV

12. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

All of my years in the service which is 12 the term assualt weapon was never used. Weapon is the common term and rifle or sidearm is second. Assault weapon is a term the left and media uses to scare common people who may not know much about firearms and their research is clear when they report on them. Every hangun I hear about in the news is automatic which I believe is on purpose.

13. rhtwist

Also my a WASR-10 is not and should not be called an AK-47 or an AKM. I think we're onto something here. People reading the posts in the various firearm's forums will get a better idea and less of a negative slant if we all agreed to call a semi-automatic rifle just that. Not "What assault rifle should I get". We should make a vow.
    rhtwist

14. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

This is correct.

We should term them as what they really are which are "sporting rifles" as rifles that the public use for sporting purposes being target practice or competitions or just plan recreation just like boats, fishing poles, foot balls, tennis rackets ect .

15. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I think that its a great term. It encompasses a large number of firearms that are otherwise very diverse. We have simply allowed the liberal media to take possession of it and use it against us.

I will use an odd parallel on what I would like seen done. Without getting into the morality, or anything else regarding homosexuality, they have been very successful in converting derogatory terms into empowering terms, for instance the term "queer."

We need to take possession of this phrase "assault rifle." Those of you who are constantly referring to exposing anti's to guns need to use that motivation not only in your open carrying, but in the use of language. Take the negative terms away from the anti's and you take away their ammunition (no pun intended)

16. markw76

Assault Rifle was hijacked from civilian lexicon by the politicians to denote a class of firearms they feel nobody should possess. Civilian gun culture got rather sloppy, using it to denote weapons of modern construction (polymers and light alloys, as well as early versions still made from steel like the AK) employing detachable box magazines, pistol grips, among other characteristics. Since the politicians took the sloppiness even farther, the gun culture is holding the politicians to the proper historic definition. The current federal definition is whatever it was in the last federal legislation to pass, right or wrong. Not many states will stray from it.

17. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

The American Left (Liberals) are always coining new "cuss words" that they use. Here are a few:

Assault gun (or rifle)
    Saturday night special (anyone remember these?)
    "Plastic guns (used about the Glock when it first arrived here)".
    Machine guns
    Gun nuts
    Right wingers
    Radical right
    Patriots (or, "super patriots")
    Second Ammendment Nuts

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. A Liberal's motto is: "IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, LIE, LIE AGAIN!"

18. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

What he said - the legal definition is whatever the "banner" wants to make it.

The technical definition is a fully automatic or select fire rifle of intermediate caliber - generally with a detachable magazine - intended as a basic infantry weapon. Note therefore that the 1994 "assault weapon ban" did not cover any actual "assault wepons"

19. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

I agree, a select fire, military issue rifle. That does not describe a AR15.

20. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

One definition the Left uses to define an "assault" weapon is that it has a bayonet. I don't watch the biased new programs. Have there been a lot of drive-by bayonetings?