JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@No_Regerts

You MIGHT need to just update your address with the issuing county. I had a WA CPL, moved to Idaho and knew Idaho reciprocated. My neighbor was an Ada County Sheriff. He and I got to know each other and the topic came up. He said Idaho recognizes your WA license so good to go!

I know you can have a WA cpl as a non resident. I'd still want to update to your state of actual residence so someone doesn't refuse to sell you a pistol "out of state", or go through any other grief.

I know you can have a WA cpl as a non resident. I'd still want to update to your state of actual residence so someone doesn't refuse to sell you a pistol "out of state", or go through any other grief.

I thought of that, but since only a D/L is needed for a 4473 I don't think it would get in the way. When I lived in ID it didn't give me any problems. Idaho DL and WA CPL.

This question came up a few months ago. I found something online at that time - just had to find it again.

Straight from the state of Washington:

Washington State law doesn't require you to update the address on your concealed pistol license when you move. However, if you'd like to voluntarily update your address, the process is the same as when you first applied (except you won't be fingerprinted):

1. Go to the Washington law enforcement agency where you live.
  2. Complete a concealed pistol license application, marking the "Replacement license" box.
  3. Submit the application and replacement fee.
  4. The law enforcement agency will contact you to pick up your license, or they'll mail it to you.

What I found on their website was that the state of Washington, unlike some other states, don't note a difference between resident and non-resident CPL's. Oregon is different in that respect. But according to WA, you are not required to update your license for and address change - I would do it though.

WA State Licensing (DOL) Official Site: Change your address - Concealed Pistol License

This question came up a few months ago. I found something online.

Straight from the state of Washington:

Washington State law doesn't require you to update the address on your concealed pistol license when you move. However, if you'd like to voluntarily update your address, the process is the same as when you first applied (except you won't be fingerprinted):

1. Go to the Washington law enforcement agency where you live.
  2. Complete a concealed pistol license application, marking the "Replacement license" box.
  3. Submit the application and replacement fee.
  4. The law enforcement agency will contact you to pick up your license, or they'll mail it to you.

What I found on their website was that the state of Washington, unlike some other states, don't note a difference between resident and non-resident CPL's. Oregon is different in that respect. But according to WA, you are not required to update your license for and address change - I would do it though.

WA State Licensing (DOL) Official Site: Change your address - Concealed Pistol License

Well, there it is. :)

Unfortunately they don't make it easy to find. I spent some time researching that question a few months back, took a while to finally find that darn link.

I mean, I knew I was right....but I also understood why @rick49 wanted to see it in black and white for himself. One of those times where I get frustrated knowing I'm right but not having the black and white to prove it.

@rick49, my apologies if I came across heated.

I mean, I knew I was right....but I also understood why @rick49 wanted to see it in black and white for himself. One of those times where I get frustrated knowing I'm right but not having the black and white to prove it.

@rick49, my apologies if I came across heated.

I get frustrated when I know the answer, but can't find the darn reference. It's hard to keep it all straight sometimes.

Yeah. Imagine my wife's frustrations. She asks questions, I give her answers. Then she says "but how do you know that?"

Because I just do!! :D

FWIW you'll find that the Washington State AG will not answer ANY questions of law directly to citizens ( 'Cause he's a dick ) . You can go to a state representative or senator who can file an official request for information on your behalf and the AG will answer those.

FWIW you'll find that the Washington State AG will not answer ANY questions of law directly to citizens ( 'Cause he's a dick ) . You can go to a state representative or senator who can file an official request for information on your behalf and the AG will answer those.

It's mostly because the AG's office directly represents various state agencies and the state itself (and won't be receptive to the notion that as a citizen of the state, it represents you).

Several sections of RCW 9.41.070 demonstrate that you don't have to be a resident to apply for and receive a license, but anyone who takes legal advice off the internet is straight up nuts. Invest a couple hundred bucks in some actual legal advice or apply in your new state -- the law has many gotchas (for example: are the rules on applying for a license applicable to the status of a license for a person who leaves the state permanently -- maybe, but the statute doesn't come right out and say that, although moving out of state doesn't appear to be one of the revocation reasons either: RCW 9.41.075: Concealed pistol license—Revocation. The state you are in may also have its own interpretation of whether the license is valid as well, and the RCWs would be meaningless on that score). RCW 9.41.070:

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person ...

(4) ... If the applicant is not a United States citizen, the applicant must provide the applicant's country of citizenship, United States issued alien number or admission number, and the basis on which the applicant claims to be exempt from federal prohibitions on firearm possession by aliens. ...

(13) A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:
(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;
(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area; or
(c) Anywhere in the state if the applicant is a nonresident.

RCW 9.41.070: Concealed pistol license—Application—Fee—Renewal.

Last Edited:
There is also this to keep in mind if you didn't provide an e-mail address when you applied:

(b) Beginning with concealed pistol licenses that expire on or after August 1, 2018, the department of licensing shall mail a renewal notice approximately ninety days before the license expiration date to the licensee at the address listed on the concealed pistol license application, or to the licensee's new address if the licensee has notified the department of licensing of a change of address. Alternatively, if the licensee provides an email address at the time of license application, the department of licensing may send the renewal notice to the licensee's email address. The notice must contain the date the concealed pistol license will expire, the amount of renewal fee, the penalty for late renewal, and instructions on how to renew the license

I have a current cc from wa. Does anyone know if the permit is still current or does it expire when you move out of state. I'm in Oklahoma which recognizes the wa permit. The question I was asked at the sheriff office was "does wa cancel your permit when you are no longer a resident" I want to carry and I can if my permit is still valid in wa.
Thanks
I have contacted the AG in oly with no return call.
What are the only reasons your permit can be considered null and void? Statute?
Thanks one more time
Let's put this to bed. I heard from the AG today. She said she could not answer the question. But referred me to the dept. that issued my permit. Called and they said it does not expire when I leave the state.
I'm good to go, a big thanks to all those who took their valuable time to help me with this.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top