JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Question on Value … Boone and Crockett Record Book Roosevelt Elk Antlers … and its sheds from year before … I have had these 2 elk racks for a while now. They have been hanging in the Sportsmen Warehouse in Salem Oregon for 6 or 7 years to date … I have had several people ask to buy them , but have passed. Now getting close to the age of moving on to the Great Hunting / Fishing Hole in the sky , and kids that have no interest in them …. Any idea of what these 2 mounts would be worth ? 1st pictures are of the record mount and last pictures are of the sheds . Then front and back of him in velvet before he was killed by a trespassing bow hunter … He made my property his home , and his horns every year of his life were always weird and F&W said it was pretty odd for a elk . Any help would be great … Message me here or email me using the email address in last picture … THANKS
DSC00227.JPG DSC00228.JPG DSC00226.JPG DSC00231.JPG DSC00227 (1).JPG DSC00225.JPG DSC00229.JPG DSC00225 (1).JPG B1.jpg B2.jpg 00Y0Y_8QhK7Vuec1X_600x450.jpg

I agree about sheds, but antlers still attached to the skull are not legal to retain.

Shed hunt responsibly and legally

"ODFW and Oregon State Police are reminding shed hunters that they can only pick up naturally shed deer and elk antlers in the wild, not antlers with skulls attached."

I found this monster blacktail a few years ago and had to leave it behind.

image_zpsvj38bbyz.jpg

P

Last Edited:
I suggest you do some looking on Gunbroker.com but make sure you look at Completed Auctions. Have you considered offering them to the Store where they have been Hanging? :):):)

I suggest you do some looking on Gunbroker.com but make sure you look at Completed Auctions. Have you considered offering them to the Store where they have been Hanging? :):):)

The Sportsman in Salem is happy to have them hanging there in the store as they say they are probably the most viewed horns they have ..… But they don't buy horns for display as they have plenty on loan ….

On the rack that was measured for Boone and Crockett …. after all the measurement were recorded … I had to split the scull in half to make it in the eyes of our ODF&W qualify to be called sheds so I could keep them …. The ODF&W wanted the scull un-cut for themselves as one of their upper level people in Corvallis wanted them real bad to put in his office … Cutting them was the only way I could keep them and it also pissed off the ODF&W which was great as I had several elk related problems over the years when I owned the property behind the Reedsport Elk Refuge … both elk related and salmon related on the slough ran through my property , that ran into the Umpqua River … BUT , that all is another story …

Click here to see some elk pictures from the property …. PictureTrail: Online Photo Sharing, Social Network, Image Hosting, Online Photo Albums

RE: It's always nice when you can Stick It to one of the State Agencies.

You might want to contact the Fine Folks at Grashorn Gun Works. Their website is:

www.grashorngunworks.com

You might be able to work out a Trade for a set of their grips in Exchange the mount. If you don't want to have the horns cut up they might be willing to put them on Display.

Hope this helps. :):):)

Mike

Read the plaque below the mount.

No skull left … we had it to start with … got it measured still on skull …. ODF&W told me they wanted it because it was not shed …. to make it so we could keep it , it was cut off skull leaving a small amount of skull around the horns …. enough to hold horns in original position …. then carefully cutting into 2 pieces that would fit back together in original dimensions of when it was solid …. then mounted …

That's a stud of a bull. It's too bad you have to get rid of them. I would think if you had paperwork stating they were legally obtained, or specifically that they were sheds, you could legally sell them but I would definitely check with ODFW. Or just sign them over to Sportsmans as a donation.

As for the law regarding dead heads, it is a silly law but the reasoning for the law is somewhat just.

As I have been told by ODFW while in elk camp and in possession of a mostly decomposed 5 pt elk dead head I found buried by a bear, is that it is in place to try to combat poaching. The ODFW officer said that people will kill elk/deer and not take the heads until the corpses rot or are scavenged enough to make it seem like it was just found dead. So it is illegal to bring dead heads out of the woods. He didn't write a citation, just confiscated the skull and told me to leave any others I might find in the woods.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top