JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking at a scoped handgun. Probably a Super Redhawk in 44 mag. I noticed that the scope specification for have an eye relief of only 18" on the Leupold and 20" on the Bushnell. I have a straight arm length of about 24"

My question is: do you typically shoot a scoped handgun from the two handed bent arm position?

Would you get the 7-1/2" or the 9-1/2" barrel and why?

You should have no problem I have an arm length of 26" and can shoot my scoped ruger redhawk either way. I got the 7-1/2" barrel for a few reasons 1. It's lighter 2. you can draw it faster 3. there is virtually no performane gain with the extra 2".

and because everyone likes pictures here is bambi from last year

1013121318[1] (2).jpg

I had a SW 629 with a redfield 4x scope. I also have long arms, and had to bend at the elbow to get the right eye relief. I had to come up with a modified shooting position with my right elbow tucked into my chest, and turned my left shoulder to the target. I never really liked it that much, although it did give a more stable base than holding out at full extension. Get the one with the most eye relief.

Get the longer barrel for accuracy and velocity if you are hunting with it.

Congrat's,, Getting the Super redhawk was a very good choice, And the 7 1/2 Barrel was also a good choice, Now go shoot it and enjoy.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Congrat's,, Getting the Super redhawk was a very good choice, And the 7 1/2 Barrel was also a good choice, Now go shoot it and enjoy.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Thanks, I am doing my volunteer hours at Douglas Ridge Rifle club this weekend and I want to see if I can ring the 150 yard gong. BANG . . . . ding

i have the 9 1/2 version with a 2x LEER burris scope... works great...

I would keep magnification at 2x or less... the higher magnifications are difficult to aim unless shooting with a rest.

Is the point of that lever thingy to make it a legal length?

Yup, it's immovably fixed to the bottom of the grip - makes cleaning a real PITA chore as you can't get the grips fully off. The barrel must be over 12", and the overall length must be 24" or more [!].

This is only for mainland UK - England, Scotland and Wales. Over in Northern Ireland they can still have any type of handgun they like. They also have almost 3000 CCW permits, too.

tac

Could you legally make it into a detachable or folding shoulder stock? That would be cool and take some of the suckyness away.

Nope. This firearm is categorised as a 'long-barrelled pistol/revolver', and must not be altered in any way. Hell, only the licensed holder is permitted to shoot the thing! Here in UK the minimum barrel length for a rifle/carbine is 16 inches, and as this is categorically NOT a rifle or a carbine I'm stuck with it as it is. The prohibition here, without some VERY special licensing, deals with cartridge-loading handguns - basically, on mainland UK there are no legally-held cartridge-firing handguns of the modern kind. A special license, called a Section 5[a] license, permits you to have a handgun of some significance or historical interest - unaltered and capable of shooting - but you are NOT permitted to shoot it. Another form of the same secion of the Firearms Act - Section 5, covers pohibited firearms, and allows you to have the previously noted handgun - a Luger or a 1911 or a Webley, AND to shoot it, but you have to keep the gun and its ammuniton at one of about seven centres in England - there are none in Scotland or Wales - where you can go visit your gun and shoot it.

I refuse to have ANYTHING to do with either form of licensing, having commanded troops. I steadfastly refuse to be overseen by some scruffy civilian while he counts my shots as he ALLOWS me to shoot my own gun.

Soooooooooooooooooooo, I put up with the strange-looking 'thing' and bite my thumbs. Almost the first thing I do when i reach my friends in Oregon is to go shooting a bunch of handguns until the barrels glow red.

tac

Gentlemen all - I apologise for the thread drift.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top