JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Friend lives in Hawaii, keeps a motorhome here in the US as well as having relatives here.
Wants to buy a gun to carry in the motorhome, he's retired military and retired dentist. Sold his practice in Hawaii so I assume he has some "political pull" there but don't know.
As I understand the laws he has to buy a handgun in Hawaii and bring it over here, but he can buy a long gun while on the mainland.

Is that correct?

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Correct but from what I understand HI is a difficult place to buy a handgun.

Yep, that's what I understand too. He called me this morning and said he had been to the range with a friend yesterday and they had shot .22 and .38's, didn't say if they rented them or his friend had them.

Our stock broker has taken his .454 Casuul pistol over to hunt on the islands so it's not impossible to have a handgun there.

Deen
NRA Recruiter

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Now he says he wants to buy one of what I already own! Had to tell him no, I can't do it due to the laws we now have.

Deen
NRA Recruiter

You can loan him the pistol for use here on the mainland. As long as there is no transfer of ownership you should be fine. That is if your willing to loan him one of your guns.

If he is that good of a friend, how well do you know his family that is here? Can you sell it to one of them?

If he is that good of a friend, how well do you know his family that is here? Can you sell it to one of them?

Problem with that is that I KNOW it would go to my friend after I sold it to someone in his family. Even then I'd have to do a transfer through an FFL in OR since that's where his family is. That seems to me to put it perilously close to a strawman sale/purchase transaction. Not anything I want to get into!

Deen
NRA Recruiter

You can loan him the pistol for use here on the mainland. As long as there is no transfer of ownership you should be fine. That is if your willing to loan him one of your guns.

I was thinking of that. We will probably hit the range when he gets over here again so he can shoot a few of mine.

Deen
NRA Recruiter

I agree, just let him borrow it while he is here. He might let you borrow something of his also if you guys are really good friends.

Well, he is coming over next month to probably buy a 45' motorhome and ours is only 41' so maybe we can borrow his to see if we like it?

Deen
NRA Recruiter

When a time comes when you need to arm friends, do so, but no gun you own should ever go into anyone else's hands unless you are present. If you give a firearm (loan) you dont know what it will be used for if they go inside out. You will then be responsible for anything that happens with it.
If you need to give arms and ammo to someone fighting alongside you then by all means do so. But any other circumstance, use extreme caution. In other words C.Y. A. well.

I agree!!
If I own the gun that he borrowed and he gets into a shooting incident I could also be charged or sued.

Deen
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

he can establish part time residency in the mainland if he stays in a place for over 90 days..

it can be tricky, but it is legal...

his motorhome can become his residence if he establishes a permanent parking spot for it and lives in it for the most part...

Problem is that he won't be doing that.

Deen
NRA Recruiter

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Here is what he needs to do. Establish a residency somewhere here on the mainland. Easy as getting a PO box, and getting a drivers license. Then he can buy in that state, as anyone else can. Have a bill sent to his PO box for proof. He can get a license by providing an address at a park. He doesn't have to stay there, just rent a space temporarily.

I know this because I have some friends who live on the road, and travel all the time. They setup a PO in North Dakota IIRC.
Setup all their business licenses there for tax purposes and viola, they also legally buy guns. They have a lot of guns LOL.
They travel around doing shooting contests, western pistol, and trap.

He can buy the handgun in Hawaii. Fill out the paperwork at the police dept and the waiting period applies. Then he can bring it with him. 10 round mag limit applies in HI. He can buy standard mags here and leave them with family when he returns to HI if he plans on taking the handgun back home. . He should also research the individual state laws on having a handgun in a motor home in each state that he plans on visiting. They may well be different than here in OR or WA.
If he is going to be spending much time here, he might want to establish WA or OR residence and secure a concealed carry permit. Then apply to Utah or Florida to cover other states he visiting or traveling through.

That's what I told him when he first asked.

Deen
NRA Recruiter

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top