JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Put to those who have DONE IT, please: your recommendations as to whether it is more expedient/cheaper/better results in each of two options:

buy someone's ready made piece that meets my specifications, or

buy the parts and build it (I'm VERY handy with my hands, good at mechanical sorts of things, Hey, its ONLY a pile of parts, right?)

I know I can get Mega upper and lower for just over two hundred, new...... I wonder, though, by the time I find/buy the barrel, action, stock, mags, and a
"suit of clothes" (or is that more correctly referred to as "furniture"?) for it, will I be into it for enough to just go buy something ready made?

I think you'd have to look at what your finished product would have on it, meaning all the furniture...and price everything out.

Then price out finished rifles with the same items already installed.

Yes, its a pain...but I think that's about the only way to really get a good cost comparison.

Others will chime in, hopefully with better ideas.

I've built my own and bought my own. Since I like to change things out, my last couple have been builds. Right now, your biggest problem will be getting barrels. Most everything else(other than ammo), is back in stock at many places.

Depending on your budget, you can find a very nice rifle that is already done with the features you like, and maybe a couple you can live with until you can afford that Lite Rail or other stock.

I started with the base stock, hand guards, etc. and have finally decided(after trying MANY options) on what I like. Try as many parts out as you can in advance, before driving yourself crazy looking for what you "think" you want.

Also, everything depends on what brand or brands you like. CMMG is WAY backed up on Chrome lined barrels(don't even think about ordering a 20" from them!), DPMS is 150,000(yes, you read that right) rifles or so behind for just the civilian market and so on and so forth.

Everyone in the industry is playing catch up and if they say otherwise, they are lying. ;)

You will not be disappointed with the MEGA products(I can get you a lower for $130 shipped), just find a good barrel, BCG and figure out a stock.

Building is more fun and fulfilling, too. Have fun and be safe! Be sure to post pics when you build, or purchase is completed! :s0155:

It is a lot of fun to build an AR if you have the time, and know how (not real hard), and if you find deals on the lower, LPK (lower parts kit), upper and stock then you can end up saving a couple hundred bucks. It all depends on what you really want. I have seen 5.56 stripped lowers for as cheap as $125, brand new. You just have to look around. Good luck, and have fun:s0155:

My current price on the new Mega lower is $105, their upper is $95/ I saw and handled today, locally. Add beans for the queen, though.

Knowing the barrels are made of unobtanium these days is a real concern.......

same dealer has a complete, new AR in 5.56, in case, all in, for just under a grand. The receiver upper and lower are dead ringers for the Mega units he also had on the shelf.... can't recall the make, two cylinder word, never heard it before but he says they are way up there in quality. He also had Colt LE, and another brand, both in the fifteen hundred range new, no case. Then, he's got a new Ruger Mini 14 Tactical, new stock, for $700 plus Christine's Beans.

Ya know, though, if anyone ever made a 20 or 30 round magazine to suit the Browning BAR in .30-06, I think I'd just get the mag and consider that '06 my "combat" weapon. Or find one in .308.

Oh ,ain't this all a barrel o fun?

If you look around and wait for the right deal, you can find a complete AR in the $700-or sub $700 range, there was one on here for less than $700 new a couple of days ago. It all depends on what you want. Before the ban, if you really scrounged, you could build one for a bit less than a complete used one. Now, I would say just buy a complete one, it will be cheaper at first unless you want alot of custom/high end stuff.

There is something satisfying about building your own though. You get to know how everything works, you get to tweak or tune certain items to your taste, and if you really want it "your way", it will probably take less wait time than having it built to your spec.

My two cents, ymmv.

Like it's already been said... there are pro's and con's to either route. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt scrounging up the materials and parts, then actually putting it all together. I have also learned a few things along the way during my first build as far as finding the best value for my money!! I have 3 more stripped lowers (one marked for 6.8-Rem) and a stripped flat top upper sitting my gun safe for when my wallet recovers... eventually. :s0114:

Last December I scored an LRB lower w/internals (was a bit pricey, but lowers were SCARCE because of the elections)- $215

Del-Ton complete M4gery upper w/16" chrome lined G'ment profile barrel & Daniels Defense free-float, 4-rail hand guard (took SIX MONTHS to get it due to MASSIVE backorders... EVERYWHERE!) $615

Collapsible stock, buffertube, buffer & buffer spring - $100

Pistol grip for - $28

Vertical foregrip- $20

Magpul "enhanced" (my arse) trigger guard - $19

Phantom "aggressive end" flash hider - $20

I just ordered a set of Magpul BUIS for - $70

Total cost (so far) - $1067.00 (prices include all shipping costs)

I plan to EVENTUALLY get an Eotech Holo-sight (HWS) - $460 - $650 (depending on the model I choose... crazy, huh?) :eek:

You could do it for less than I did, as I chose some spendier options like the Daniels Defence free-float hand guard (they go for over $200).

100_0455.jpg
M4gery.jpg

Put to those who have DONE IT, please: your recommendations as to whether it is more expedient/cheaper/better results in each of two options:

buy someone's ready made piece that meets my specifications, or

buy the parts and build it (I'm VERY handy with my hands, good at mechanical sorts of things, Hey, its ONLY a pile of parts, right?)

I know I can get Mega upper and lower for just over two hundred, new...... I wonder, though, by the time I find/buy the barrel, action, stock, mags, and a
"suit of clothes" (or is that more correctly referred to as "furniture"?) for it, will I be into it for enough to just go buy something ready made?

id like to see your specs. then, see how your gun meets your specs.

everyone boasts you can build one cheaper. im from missouri and would like to see it. dont forget all of the tools too.

so heres your chance to do it.

if youre going to do it, it would be nice if you kept track of ALL of your expenditures and time to build/test it.

Years ago I wanted to build my own sailboat in my backyard.... I KNOW I could do it. But, after due consideration, I realised I'd do one of two things: either build a boat, and be so broke and old by the time it was done I'd never USE it; BUY a boat already built and go sailing. So, I spent ten grand on an older 27 foot sailboat, slipped the lines, and WENT SAILING.

This is looking like the same sort of thing. I know I can plunk down a thousand bucks on the counter, fill out a few pieces of paper, pick up the black case and walk out with a brand new Stag Arms AR with two 30 round mags, adjusstible stock, folding rear sight, forward grip, enough rails on it to build a stock fence, all assembled, test fired, guaranteed, with the little instruction book..... plop another tenspot on the same table for a box of ammo, and go out shooting that afternoon.

I have almost any tool one could possibly need for such a small task, and know how to use them well. When I use them on "other peoples' stuff", I generally can bill my time at fifty bucks an hour. If the cost of all the bits is about the same as a completed gun, and my time is worth only half the fifty bucks, by the time I've got the research, parts search, talking, paying, shipping and handling, and the actual build all figured in, it seems I may well have "invested" enough all in to buy TWO new ready built guns.

SO-- you lot have convinced me I just need to make up my mind WHICH gun to buy, and go buy it. I'll let others build them. Thanks so much for all the input, I value the accumulated experience proffered here. It has helped me to make up my mind.

Glad to have (hopefully) helped, it all depends what you are into and can tolerate. I already own other "Assault Rifles" so I wasn't w/o a "toy" to keep me happy. Building my own AR's has become a new hobby for me, and it took about 7 months for me to get all the fixin's together in order to get the one above completed to where the pictures show, mainly because of the upper/barrel shortage, partly because I have absolutely NO CONTACTS on the "inside" who could get me stuff "now" and for a reasonable costs. All said and done, if you're wanting something NOW and w/o the "hassle", you made the right choice! :s0155:

Its probably for the best that you just go buy one. I was in the same place a few months ago and ended up buying a $850 Del-Ton at a show and have been completely happy with it compaired to any other gun that costs around $1000. I saved money and can still upgrade parts and come it at the price of a stock gun with a big name on it.

Remember: In general, a lower is a lower is a lower, and an LPK (lower parts kit) is an LPK. What really matters is the upper and barrel.

If you want a vast wealth of information, head on over to M4carbine.net

Right now, I say buy a complete. gandrtactical.com has a complete BCM rifle for $1100 right now. BCM is one of the few brands that does EVERYTHING right. The top makers right now are LMT (Lewis Machine and Tool), Colt, BCM (Bravo Company USA) Daniel Defense, and Noveske. There are a few others.

Brands to stay away from (in uppers) RRA, Bushmaster, DPMS... In general. Reasons? Well, for one, these makers often claim they have 5.56 chambers, when they actually have .223 only. There IS a difference. Do not let anyone tell you any different. As I said, head over to m4carbine.net and read read read.

Also be aware that building your own will require tools that you probably do not already have, but will need.

Contrary to popular belief a lower is not a lower, is a lower. Some are made better than others....same with LPK's.

Have had many a cheap lower and LPK's on the bench...and they can be a pain to work with.

But as Selftest stated, stick with the brands he listed and you should have little problems.

The only problem I ever had with an AR-15 or AR-10:

- 10.5" LMT upper would drop extraction when suppressed (cured high bolt speed with heavy buffer)
- Olympic Arms muzzle threads on .45ACP upper were too loose.
- CavArms lower wouldn't drop a fully loaded mag (mag catch too tight, fixed by slightly trimming out mag catch area)

I've owned (over the years)
- complete Bushmaster 14.5"
- 2x CMMG bargain bins (CMMG upper, Doublestar lowers)
- Oly/Mega upper/lower
- 2x AR-10s
- 2x CMMG 16"
- 1x CMMG 11.5"
- 1x LMT/Mega 10.5"
- Oly .45ACP
- AR57 upper
- A couple of home built jobs.
- CavArms lowers

So far...no issues other than those above.

I should probably clarify and quantify my post...

For anything other than plinking, I suggest (and so do most of the top shooters in the world) the quality brands.

If you are going to use the AR to potentially save your life, or someone elses, spend the extra scratch in the beginning, and have a weapon you can trust your life on. If you are going to be going to any sort of carbine course, buy the quality rifle (or, assemble one yourself using quality parts). Range shooting from a stand still is not the best test of ANY firearm. Running, moving, diving, smacking the damn thing against the ground, against cover, against your body... getting it clogged with dirt and mud and sand and all other sorts of junk... That's the true test of a "fighting firearm," one we may need to use for just that purpose one day.

I should probably clarify and quantify my post...

For anything other than plinking, I suggest (and so do most of the top shooters in the world) the quality brands.

If you are going to use the AR to potentially save your life, or someone elses, spend the extra scratch in the beginning, and have a weapon you can trust your life on. If you are going to be going to any sort of carbine course, buy the quality rifle (or, assemble one yourself using quality parts). Range shooting from a stand still is not the best test of ANY firearm. Running, moving, diving, smacking the damn thing against the ground, against cover, against your body... getting it clogged with dirt and mud and sand and all other sorts of junk... That's the true test of a "fighting firearm," one we may need to use for just that purpose one day.

Yep, what he said!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads